9 Replies Latest reply on Sep 11, 2012 11:49 AM by jk.hiren

How to configure connection pool for two databases??

jk.hiren

I am trying to make a connection pool for two databases "oracle" and "MS Sql Server 2005".

Can anybody please help with the -ds.xml file for the same.

I tried adding two <xa-datasource> each for one databse in the same file wothout any success.
      i also tried creating two differnet -ds,xml files, but found no success.

below is the -ds.xml for oracle :

oraclePool-xa-ds.xml

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<!-- ===================================================================== -->

<!--                                                                       -->

<!--  JBoss Server Configuration                                           -->

<!-- $Id: oracle-xa-ds.xml 77479 2008-08-26 10:33:09Z alex.loubyansky@jboss.com $ -->

<!-- ATTENTION:  DO NOT FORGET TO SET Pad=true IN transaction-service.xml  -->

<datasources>

<xa-datasource>

<jndi-name>test</jndi-name>

<!-- uncomment to enable interleaving <interleaving/> -->

<isSameRM-override-value>false</isSameRM-override-value>

<xa-datasource-class>oracle.jdbc.xa.client.OracleXADataSource</xa-datasource-class>

<xa-datasource-property name="URL">jdbc:oracle:thin:@192.128.2.2:1521:weblogic</xa-datasource-property>

<xa-datasource-property name="User">help</xa-datasource-property>

<xa-datasource-property name="Password">help</xa-datasource-property>

<!--Pooling Paramters -->

<min-pool-size>5</min-pool-size>

<max-pool-size>20</max-pool-size>

<blocking-timeout-millis>5000</blocking-timeout-millis>

<idle-timeout-minutes>15</idle-timeout-minutes>

<!-- Uses the pingDatabase method to check a connection is still valid before handing it out from the pool -->

<!--valid-connection-checker-class-name>org.jboss.resource.adapter.jdbc.vendor.OracleValidConnectionChecker</valid-connection-checker-class-name-->

<!-- Checks the Oracle error codes and messages for fatal errors -->

<exception-sorter-class-name>org.jboss.resource.adapter.jdbc.vendor.OracleExceptionSorter</exception-sorter-class-name>

<!-- Oracles XA datasource cannot reuse a connection outside a transaction once enlisted in a global transaction and vice-versa -->

<no-tx-separate-pools/>

<!-- corresponding type-mapping in the standardjbosscmp-jdbc.xml (optional) -->

<metadata>

<type-mapping>Oracle11g</type-mapping>

</metadata>

</xa-datasource>

<mbean code="org.jboss.resource.adapter.jdbc.vendor.OracleXAExceptionFormatter"

name="jboss.jca:service=OracleXAExceptionFormatter">

<depends optional-attribute-name="TransactionManagerService">jboss:service=TransactionManager</depends>

</mbean>

</datasources>

and the other one for sql server 2005 :

sqlPool-xa-ds.xml

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<!--  JBoss Server Configuration                                           -->

<!-- $Id: mssql-xa-ds.xml 77479 2008-08-26 10:33:09Z alex.loubyansky@jboss.com $ -->

<!-- ==================================================================== -->

<!-- ConnectionManager setup for xa Microsoft SQL Server 2005, using      -->

<!-- Microsoft's JDBC driver.                                             -->

<!-- Thanks to Benjamin Geer  <benjamin.geer@misys.com>                   -->

<!-- Be sure to set the JndiName property to the name you want to look up -->

<!-- the datasource under and set the location of your database in        -->

<!-- the xa-datasource-property section.                                  -->

<!-- Further information about the Microsoft JDBC Driver version 1.1      -->

<!-- can be found here:                                                   -->

<!-- http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa496082.aspx               -->

<!-- ==================================================================== -->

<datasources>

<xa-datasource>

<jndi-name>MSSQLDS</jndi-name>

<connection-url>

jdbc:sqlserver://hello-welcome\\MSSQL2008R2;DatabaseName=ramos

</connection-url>

<driver-class>

com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerDriver

</driver-class>

<user-name>help</user-name>

<password>help</password>

<!--Pooling Paramters -->

<min-pool-size>5</min-pool-size>

<max-pool-size>20</max-pool-size>

<blocking-timeout-millis>5000</blocking-timeout-millis>

<idle-timeout-minutes>15</idle-timeout-minutes>

<metadata>

<type-mapping>MS SQLSERVER2000</type-mapping>

</metadata>

</xa-datasource>

</datasources>

NOTE: i am bale to create the oracle pool usng

oraclePool-xa-ds.xml file alone but as soon as i add the other file

sqlPool-xa-ds.xml, i get "org.jboss.resource.JBossResourceException: Could not create connection; - nested throwable: (org.jboss.resource.JBossResourceException: No XADataSourceClass supplied!)"exception.

please help..!!!!!!!

(please also give some tips to write -ds.xml file for sql server 2005)

• 1. Re: How to configure connection pool for two databases??
          wdfink

Looks like that you use a wrong example. It seems a non xa datasource with changed element name.

See the docs/examples/jca/mssql-xa-ds.xml in your JBOSS directory.

• 2. Re: How to configure connection pool for two databases??
            jk.hiren

I have seen the example mentioned by you, but have not been able to implement the same.

The same exception "org.jboss.resource.JBossResourceException: Could not create connection; - nested throwable: (org.jboss.resource.JBossResourceException: No XADataSourceClass supplied!)"exception. is thrown.

Can you please provide some sample code.

Also, which is the right approach?
            1)creating two different -ds.xml files(one for oracle and one for sql server 2005 each)
            2)creating one file and and having two <xa-datasource> tags in it.

Thanx for your time.

• 3. Re: How to configure connection pool for two databases??
              wdfink

I prefer a single file for each DS, but the other approach is also possible.

If you need a XA datasource you have to use a DS file similar to the example.

It looks to me that you did not define the <xa-datasource-class> element or the give class is not in the lib folder of your installation.

• 4. Re: How to configure connection pool for two databases??
                jk.hiren

I have added ojdbc14.jar and sqljdbc.jar in the lib folder at the location jBoss/server/default/lib.

Do i need anything else??

which example to use from the examples given in Jboss docs.

mssql-xa-ds.xml or msql-ds.xml

Thanx.

• 5. Re: How to configure connection pool for two databases??
                  wdfink

If you need XA you should use the mssql-xa-ds.xml.

In my example the class is <xa-datasource-class>com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerXADataSource</xa-datasource-class>. Is this class packed in the mssql jar?

BTW what JBoss version do you use?

• 6. Re: How to configure connection pool for two databases??
                    jk.hiren

Yes, the class com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerXADataSource is packed in the jar file.

I am using "jboss-5.1.0.GA"

I went as per your instructions and added

<xa-datasource-class>com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerXADataSource</xa-datasource-class>.  in the -xa-ds.xml file for sql server 2005,
                    but now I am getting

"org.jboss.resource.JBossResourceException: Could not create connection; - nested throwable: (java.util.regex.PatternSyntaxException: Illegal/unsupported escape sequence near index 1\MSSQL2008R2 ^)"

as my server name in url is     <xa-datasource-property name="ServerName">hello-welcome\\MSSQL2008R2</xa-datasource-property>

please help with this.

Thanx.

• 7. Re: How to configure connection pool for two databases??
                      wdfink

My example looks like this:

<datasources>

<xa-datasource>

<jndi-name>MSSQLXADS</jndi-name>

<!-- uncomment to enable interleaving <interleaving/> -->

<isSameRM-override-value>false</isSameRM-override-value>

<xa-datasource-class>com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerXADataSource</xa-datasource-class>

<xa-datasource-property name="ServerName">myserver</xa-datasource-property>

<xa-datasource-property name="DatabaseName">mydatabase</xa-datasource-property>

<xa-datasource-property name="SelectMethod">cursor</xa-datasource-property>

<xa-datasource-property name="User">myuser</xa-datasource-property>

<xa-datasource-property name="Password">mypassword</xa-datasource-property>

<!-- corresponding type-mapping in the standardjbosscmp-jdbc.xml (optional) -->

<metadata>

<type-mapping>MS SQLSERVER2000</type-mapping>

</metadata>

</xa-datasource>

</datasources>

Maybe you have some hidden sequences?

Or the server name could not contain \\, try / instead.

I don't know the exact syntax here

Maybe this wiki helps

• 8. Re: How to configure connection pool for two databases??
                        jk.hiren

I tried changing "\\" to "/" and "//",

but still no luck.

I am getting     " [JBossManagedConnectionPool] Throwable while attempting to get a new connection: null

org.jboss.resource.JBossResourceException: Could not create connection; - nested throwable: (com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerException: The TCP/IP connection to the host  has failed. java.net.UnknownHostException: )" exception.

Is this by any chance because of not passing server port.???

• 9. Re: How to configure connection pool for two databases??
                          jk.hiren

The Issue is fixed.
                          I passed the server name as

<connection-url>

jdbc:sqlserver://hello-welcome\MSSQL2008R2;DatabaseName=ramos

</connection-url>

Thank you so much for helping me out.