6 Replies Latest reply on Aug 28, 2012 10:16 AM by rob.stryker

How can I increase the -XXMaxPermGen jvm settings in Jboss under eclipse Juno?

mpardee

folks:

after upgrading to eclipse Juno, Jboss now starts with a set of JAVA_OPTS that are so low that I get an Out of Memory error, PermGen sp, when doing almost anything with the server.

Changing settings in my Shell definition of JAVA_OPTS,  Jboss' run.sh and run.conf files, or the eclipse runtime ini file have no effect on the reported JVM memory sizes shown when the server starts.

I have done a fair amount of googling,  which suggests things i have already tried,  and doing a find/grep on my file system looking for the offending memory setting.  no joy.

It seems to me (newbie that i am) that the gizmo called "JBossTools is launching my instance of the JBoss server inside of eclipse,  but i have had no luck tracking down where or how this element starts. (see console output below)

1:21:34,772 INFO  [ServerInfo] Java Runtime: Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_25-b06)

11:21:34,772 INFO  [ServerInfo] Java VM: Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM 20.0-b11,Sun Microsystems Inc.

11:21:34,773 INFO  [ServerInfo] OS-System: Linux 2.6.18-274.3.1.el5,amd64

11:21:34,773 INFO  [ServerInfo] VM arguments: -Dprogram.name=JBossTools: JBoss 6.x Runtime -Xms256m -Xmx768m -XX:MaxPermSize=256m -Djava.net.preferIPv4Stack=true -Dsun.rmi.dgc.client.gcInterval=3600000 -Dsun.rmi.dgc.server.gcInterval=3600000 -Djava.endorsed.dirs=/home/mlp/jboss-6.1.0.Final/lib/endorsed -Djava.library.path=/home/mlp/jboss-6.1.0.Final/bin/native -Dlogging.configuration=file:/home/mlp/jboss-6.1.0.Final/bin/logging.properties -Dfile.encoding=UTF-8

11:21:34,848 INFO  [JMXKernel] Legacy JMX core initialized

any hints on this one would be greatly appreciated.

martin