6 Replies Latest reply on Aug 27, 2012 6:33 AM by cdsosi

View History Log inside jBPM Console...

cdsosi

Hi,

Sorry to ask a dumb question but what are the steps to visualize History Log in the jBPM Console?

I use the 5.3.0 Final version on its basic configuration (H2 in memory) so no database changing involved just start with command ant start.demo.

I am not able to see History Log in the jBPM Console although I have information in the H2 Tables (PROCESSINSTANCELOG, NODEINSTANCELOG, VARIABLEINSTANCELOG)...

Is there anything particular to do to get it displayed in the jBPM Console?

Did I miss something in the documentation?

Cheers

• 1. Re: View History Log inside jBPM Console...
          swiderski.maciej

as far as I know history log is not available in console, could you provide more information on this? Do you mean process instances pane or...?

Another approach could be to use reporting to view history data.

HTH

• 2. Re: View History Log inside jBPM Console...
            cdsosi

Hi Maciej,

I thought having read in user documentation that it was possible to access History Log through jBPM console but it seems that I made a quick shortcut !

Let me explain why : when you read 5.3.0 User documentation you have many screenshots of the jBPM console (12.2.1.1. Inspecting process definitions and in Figure 3.2 of 3.5. 10-Minute Tutorial: Using the jBPM Console) where you can see under the "Processes" Section that there are two options :

Process Overview and another one above named "Execution History". I replaced Execution History by History Log.

Btw some new questions coming next :

1- So How this "Execution History" can be available through jbpm console ?

2- What kind of information is rendered with this Execution History?

3- If History Log and Execution History are different, don't you think it would a good enhancement for jBPM console to allow users (may be administrator only) to be able to access to Processes Runtime Informations : in other words displaying informations of the DB Tables PROCESSINSTANCELOG, NODEINSTANCELOG, VARIABLEINSTANCELOG?

4- The other approach/option you suggest is to make personal special reports with birt as stated in 12.2.3 User documentation, is that correct?

Is there any other documentation describing with a bit more details how to achieve that?

Thanks again for helping

King Regards.

• 3. Re: View History Log inside jBPM Console...
              swiderski.maciej

Franck cdsosi wrote:

I thought having read in user documentation that it was possible to access History Log through jBPM console but it seems that I made a quick shortcut !

Let me explain why : when you read 5.3.0 User documentation you have many screenshots of the jBPM console (12.2.1.1. Inspecting process definitions and in Figure 3.2 of 3.5. 10-Minute Tutorial: Using the jBPM Console) where you can see under the "Processes" Section that there are two options :

Process Overview and another one above named "Execution History". I replaced Execution History by History Log.

Btw some new questions coming next :

1- So How this "Execution History" can be available through jbpm console ?

2- What kind of information is rendered with this Execution History?

3- If History Log and Execution History are different, don't you think it would a good enhancement for jBPM console to allow users (may be administrator only) to be able to access to Processes Runtime Informations : in other words displaying informations of the DB Tables PROCESSINSTANCELOG, NODEINSTANCELOG, VARIABLEINSTANCELOG?

Yeah, Execution History it used to be there but it was more inherited from v4 and did not fit properly into what was there when v5 took over it. So for now there is no way of browsing execution history directly in console.

Franck cdsosi wrote:

4- The other approach/option you suggest is to make personal special reports with birt as stated in 12.2.3 User documentation, is that correct?

Is there any other documentation describing with a bit more details how to achieve that?

Yes, I mean to build up your custom reports for that. Probably best place to look for is birt home page to start with creating report templates.

HTH

• 4. Re: View History Log inside jBPM Console...
                cdsosi

Ok Maciej,

For next user documentation in 2012 october, do not forget the update screenshots

Thanks for your approach sharing : so I willl have a look at birt home page...

Kind Regards

• 5. Re: View History Log inside jBPM Console...
                  swiderski.maciej

if don't mind dropping a jira for this, would be great

Cheers

• 6. Re: View History Log inside jBPM Console...
                    cdsosi

Done : https://issues.jboss.org/browse/JBPM-3768

I set it to Documentation Enhancement Minor.

For that JIRA, you'll have to reply to most of my questions coming but actually that's what you currently do !

Cheers