1 Reply Latest reply on Aug 23, 2012 11:15 AM by banzeletti

to be or not to be (overloading the constructor)

paul_

Suppose I have 2 classes like:

public class classA{

String test = "test";

classA(String t){

this.test = t;

}

}

public class classB{

@Inject classA class_a;

classB(){

}

public void doStuff(){

//do Stuff with class_a

}

}

this throws an exception:

org.jboss.weld.exceptions.DeploymentException: WELD-001408 Unsatisfied dependencies for type ....

Am I right asuming, that for the injection in classB to work there must be a default constructor explicitly declared in classA (since I explicitly defined a non-default one, basic java stuff..) ? Does this mean, i would have to move stuff like initialization into a separate public method?

I'm currently involved in migrating an application from Seam 2 to Seam 3 and there are a lot of classes that get instanciated with a parametrized constructor..

(This may be a very simple case but I don't quite get it, as I am learning Seam 3 from scratch..)

• 1. Re: to be or not to be (overloading the constructor)
          banzeletti

Since Seam3 is an extension to CDI I took a glimpse into the CDI spec. According to JSR-299 (CDI), 3.1.1 Which Java classes are managed beans?, the following conditions must apply:

* it has an appropriate constructor, either:

** the class has a constructor with no parameters, or

** the class declares a constructor annotated @Inject (Remark: as far as I know, a constructor that relies on injectable parameters)

From the example code above I believe that ýour classA does not meet the "constructor condition" and, as a consequence, is not tread as a managed bean, which makes it hard for WELD to resolve the @Inject classA statement in classB, resulting in the error message. So maybe a constructor with no parameters is the appropriate solution. I would also recommend to use the standard class naming convention which requires uppercase letters for the first letter of a class name: ClassA instead of classA.

As far as the "parametrized" constructors are concerned, they seem to need the @Inject annotation. In your case, the solution would probably be something like "class X { @Produces String testString = "test"; }  class A {private String test; @Inject A(String s) { this.test = s; } }"...