9 Replies Latest reply on Aug 24, 2012 1:17 AM by swiderski.maciej

Designer: escalation feature

acarpine

I'm using the Desinger (web application) to define my bp but I can't find any escalation feature on user task.

I read smt at https://issues.jboss.org/browse/JBPM-3044 and although the ticket is closed I don't know how to use it in the Designer.

Btw when should be used the escalation feature (with an expired time) and when sould be used a timer event?

thanks

andrea

• 1. Re: Designer: escalation feature
          swiderski.maciej

unfortunately it is not yet supported by designer, only eclipse designer plugin supports it. I believe there should be a separate designer jira for it and will double check and if there is not will submit one.

As it comes for the second question:

- use escalation if you need to get the task done and would like to make use of task life cycle

- use timer if you need to change/alter process flow if task was not completed in time

HTH

• 2. Re: Designer: escalation feature
            acarpine

Really thanks Maciej,

I will try to use the eclipse plugin.

• 3. Re: Designer: escalation feature
              acarpine

I created the process with the eclipse plugin and I deploy it with Guvnor.

In the process I reassign the task after 1m to another user (from krisv to mary) but what I obtain during execution is that the process is properly removed from the krisv list but is not added to the mary process list...it seems simply disappeared...

is there open issue about that?

• 4. Re: Designer: escalation feature
                swiderski.maciej

have you checked mary's group tasks? It is reassigned but potential owners are two know krisv and mary so it was task is in state ready instead of reserved.

HTH

• 5. Re: Designer: escalation feature
                  acarpine

Also the mary's group is empty. In my example I tried to use only one user for the first assignment (krisv on my case)...

If I'm right this could be a problem because since there is only one specific user assigned to the task, the task status becomes "Reserverved" instead of "Ready".

So I tried to assign the HT to multiple users but the task seems to disappear and no one can do the claim.
                  I tried to solve that problem adding taskorm.xml as said in https://community.jboss.org/message/753711#753711 but this doesn't works in my case (maybe the problem is I'm using postgres?! I don't know).

At the end I tried without luck using one of the default groupId (instead of the actor) as first assignment...

what else?

• 6. Re: Designer: escalation feature
                    swiderski.maciej

Andrea Carpineti wrote:

Also the mary's group is empty. In my example I tried to use only one user for the first assignment (krisv on my case)...

If I'm right this could be a problem because since there is only one specific user assigned to the task, the task status becomes "Reserverved" instead of "Ready".

yes, you're right, if there is only one potential owner task with get reserved state directly. I meant that after reassignment it will have two potential owners old one (krisv) and new one (mary).

Andrea Carpineti wrote:

So I tried to assign the HT to multiple users but the task seems to disappear and no one can do the claim.
                    I tried to solve that problem adding taskorm.xml as said in https://community.jboss.org/message/753711#753711 but this doesn't works in my case (maybe the problem is I'm using postgres?! I don't know).

Did you get same exception in the server log when using group tasks panel?

Could you check your data base what is the status of that task and who is assigned to it as potential owner?

HTH

• 7. Re: Designer: escalation feature
                      acarpine

Re-starting from the beginning I finally succed to setup an easy escalation example.
                      I patched the human-task war adding the taskorm.xml.

yes, you're right, if there is only one potential owner task with get reserved state directly. I meant that after reassignment it will have two potential owners old one (krisv) and new one (mary).

Actually this is the behavior I'm trying to generate. So I would that after some time in addition to the first user (and before the task is started) other users can claim the task.

The fact that the task goes directly to the state "Reserved" doesn't seem to create any type of problem. I mean that the task is properly reassigned to the new user (mary) that becomes the only new potential owner (table peopleassignments_potowners).

Anyway it's pretty strange that the reassigned task to mary is showed in the Group Tasks rather than in the Personal Tasks (the only task that allow the claim action).

I tried to reassign to multiple users using several different formats in the Designer but I'm still not able to do that. In the Editor for Data Assignments I can use [users:mary]@[1m] to successfully reassign the task to mary, but how can I reassign to multiple users in different groups? All these attempts are incorrect...

• [users:mary, krisv]@[1m]
                      • [users:mary krisv]@[1m]
                      • [users:mary][users:krisv]@[1m]

Any idea?

• 8. Re: Designer: escalation feature
                        acarpine

...and looking in the table peopleassignments_potowners I have always just one entry related to my task id with both names:

TASK_ID       ENTITY_ID

1                    mary krisv

btw the log doens't reports any error

• 9. Re: Designer: escalation feature
                          swiderski.maciej

You can specify groups as well for reassignments.

I would recommend to use eclipse plugin for defining reassignment and notification rather to play around with the parameters manually.

It is very weird that you get to names in the entity id column of potential owners table. How do you run this process? would it be possible to get a unit test for this?

HTH