11 Replies Latest reply on Oct 21, 2013 10:48 AM by mrjazzy

JBoss 7.1.1 Transaction Warnings

gboro54

We have an application which has an EJB which runs Asyn and is annotated as @TransactionAttribute(TransactionAttributeType.REQUIRES_NEW) (I believe this is default behavior but for clarity we have added). When running the application we keep getting the following:

{code}

12:54:53,696 WARN  [com.arjuna.ats.arjuna] (Transaction Reaper) ARJUNA012117: TransactionReaper::check timeout for TX 0:ffffac124a3d:598c1ee6:502bc969:51 in state  RUN

{code}

We have configrued the timeout in the server.xml but I am wondering if I missed something. Any thoughts? I should mention that the Asyn method does the following:

• Iterates over a large data set from a db
      • Feeds that data into a set of rules
      • Persist some information about the state of the dataset(i.e accumulations of information).

I should also mention we sometimes get the following error:

{code}

ARJUNA012091: Top-level abort of action 0:ffffac124a3d:598c1ee6:502bc969:4d received TwoPhaseOutcome.FINISH_ERROR from com.arjuna.ats.internal.arjuna.abstractrecords.LastResourceRecord

{code}

• 1. Re: JBoss 7.1.1 Transaction Warnings
          mmusgrov

We have an application which has an EJB which runs Asyn and is annotated as @TransactionAttribute(TransactionAttributeType.REQUIRES_NEW) (I believe this is default behavior but for clarity we have added). When running the application we keep getting the following:

12:54:53,696 WARN  [com.arjuna.ats.arjuna] (Transaction Reaper) ARJUNA012117: TransactionReaper::check timeout for TX 0:ffffac124a3d:598c1ee6:502bc969:51 in state  RUN

This is normal behaviour when the timeout period of your transaction has expired. Try increasing the timeout or decrease the amount of work you perform in your transaction.

• 2. Re: JBoss 7.1.1 Transaction Warnings
            gboro54

I did this in my standalone.xml by doing the following(perhaps it is a misunderstanding of where this should be done)

{code:xml}

<subsystem xmlns="urn:jboss:domain:transactions:1.1">

<core-environment>

<process-id>

<uuid/>

</process-id>

</core-environment>

<recovery-environment socket-binding="txn-recovery-environment" status-socket-binding="txn-status-manager"/>

<coordinator-environment default-timeout="10000"/>

</subsystem>

{code}

• 3. Re: JBoss 7.1.1 Transaction Warnings
              mmusgrov

Yes that should have worked (but you mean one of the standalone.xml config files - did you change the right one though).

Could you see if setting the timeout via the cli makes any difference:

bin/jboss-cli.sh --connect

[standalone@localhost:9999 /] /subsystem=transactions/:write-attribute(name=default-timeout,value=10000)

and then read it back to check that it worked:

[standalone@localhost:9999 /] /subsystem=transactions/:read-attribute(name=default-timeout)

and then reboot the server

• 4. Re: JBoss 7.1.1 Transaction Warnings
                gboro54

I ge the following

{code}

[standalone@localhost:9999 /]  /subsystem=transactions/:read-attribute(name=default-timeout)

{

"outcome" => "success",

"result" => 1000000

}

{code}

• 5. Re: JBoss 7.1.1 Transaction Warnings
                  mmusgrov

Yeah sure but is your transaction still timing out prematurely.

• 6. Re: JBoss 7.1.1 Transaction Warnings
                    gboro54

yes

• 7. Re: JBoss 7.1.1 Transaction Warnings
                      mmusgrov

Could you produce a simple test case. For example, I had a go at reproducing your issue using the http://www.jboss.org/jdf/quickstarts/jboss-as-quickstart/cmt/ AS7 quickstart. I modified src/main/java/org/jboss/as/quickstarts/cmt/ejb/CustomerManagerEJB.java to match what I think you have as follows:

@javax.ejb.Asynchronous

@TransactionAttribute(TransactionAttributeType.REQUIRES_NEW)

void createCustomer(String name) throws RemoteException, JMSException {

try {

Thread.sleep(2000);

} catch (

etc

}

The 1 sec sleep is to give time for the transaction to timeout. Then deploy your changes, change the default timeout via the CLI (or standalone-full.xml)

/subsystem=transactions:write-attribute(name=default-timeout,value=1)

and then reboot the server.

Now when you invoke this ejb method you should see the transaction timing out and aborting. Look for something similar to the following lines on the console:

14:37:02,172 ERROR [org.jboss.ejb3.invocation] (EJB default - 2) JBAS014134: EJB Invocation failed on component CustomerManagerEJB for method public void org.jboss.as.quickstarts.cmt.ejb.CustomerManagerEJB.createCustomer(java.lang.String) throws java.rmi.RemoteException,javax.jms.JMSException: javax.ejb.EJBTransactionRolledbackException: Transaction rolled back

14:37:02,182 ERROR [org.jboss.as.ejb3] (EJB default - 2) JBAS014102: Asynchronous invocation failed: javax.ejb.EJBTransactionRolledbackException: Transaction rolled back

If you set the timeout back to the default you will see the transaction commit successfully, thus proving that the default-timeout property works as it should.

• 8. Re: JBoss 7.1.1 Transaction Warnings
                        gboro54

I can do this but were you able to reproduce with the above?

• 9. Re: JBoss 7.1.1 Transaction Warnings
                          mmusgrov

I made the changes to the quickstart for real and the default-timeout property works as I outlined in my previous post.

So my test case shows that the transaction manager respects the default-timeout property. If you want to see the proof simply repeat my instructions by reading my previous post.

But as I said in the post "I modified CustomerManagerEJB.java to match what I think you have" so it is for you to decide if my test case matches what you are doing in your own application.

• 10. Re: JBoss 7.1.1 Transaction Warnings
                            gboro54

What doe you mean by the real?

• 11. Re: Re: JBoss 7.1.1 Transaction Warnings
                              mrjazzy

I had a similar problem and increasing the timeout as suggested above

bin/jboss-cli.sh --connect

[standalone@localhost:9999 /] /subsystem=transactions/:write-attribute(name=default-timeout,value=10000)

1.         <subsystem xmlns="urn:jboss:domain:transactions:1.1"> 
                              2.             <core-environment> 
                              3.                 <process-id> 
                              4.                     <uuid/> 
                              5.                 </process-id> 
                              6.             </core-environment> 
                              7.             <recovery-environment socket-binding="txn-recovery-environment" status-socket-binding="txn-status-manager"/> 
                              8.             <coordinator-environment default-timeout="10000"/> 
                              9.         </subsystem>   

Worked fine