4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 13, 2012 1:47 PM by joe_boy12

Difference between JMSRouter and Notifier?

boy18nj

following are my findings-

NotifyConsole ends the action pipeline, so it should not be placed in the middle of action pipeline. Always last.

Even JMSRouter also ends the action pipeline.

Routers: How your services can move messages between services (it cannot send message to esb aware listener)

Notifiers: How your services can send messages to destinations outside ESB (it cannot send message to esb aware listener)

Based upon the characteristics exhibhited, they behave same. Then why they have different definitions or there is need of 2 components.

Definitely I'm missing something, can somebody highlight when to use which?

Thanks

• 1. Re: Difference between JMSRouter and Notifier?
          tcunning

In theory, I think you pretty much explained it yourself in your Routers/Notifiers part.     The difference is kind of fuzzy for JMSRouter/NotifyQueue/NotifyTopic, so I think I'd err on the side of JMSRouter, which I think provides more attributes and options.

• 2. Re: Difference between JMSRouter and Notifier?
            joe_boy12

I dont think I understand this statement Aman

>> Routers: How your services can move messages between services (it cannot send message to esb aware listener)

from Programmers guide

Routers are used to direct either the message or its payload to an end-point. Some routers support the unwrap property. Set this property to true, to automatically extract message payload and send it to the next ESB-unaware end-point by itself. Setting the option to false will pass the ESB Message in its entirety, without extracting the payload. (In this latter case, the receiving end-point must be ESBaware so that it can handle the message.)

JMSRouter supports "unwrap" property.

• 3. Re: Difference between JMSRouter and Notifier?
              boy18nj

I believe JMSRouter would be exception to above statement compared to other routers.

• 4. Re: Difference between JMSRouter and Notifier?
                joe_boy12

well as per my understanding, static router, CBR, MessageFilter also can send messages to ESB aware listeners.