13 Replies Latest reply on Aug 2, 2012 4:12 PM by lightguard

Scheme setting for pages in Seam 3

gkar47.bill.elliot.binoids.com

Is there a way in Seam 3 to do like in the Page definitions of Seam 2 to specify the Scheme (HTTP/HTTPS) to use for a specific page? I need to be able to place the login and password changing screens into HTTPS. There may be others as well at a later date.

• 1. Re: Scheme setting for pages in Seam 3

Is there no way in Seam 3 to force a page to HTTPS to ensure login and password changing screens are secure? I could write my own servlet filter, as I did in pre-seam days. But, that seems such a step backwards from Seam 2.

• 2. Re: Scheme setting for pages in Seam 3

I have added a feature request for this (SEAMSECURITY-86).

• 3. Re: Scheme setting for pages in Seam 3
              lightguard
              • 4. Re: Scheme setting for pages in Seam 3
                filosofisto

Any work around for this, yet it is unresolved?

• 5. Re: Scheme setting for pages in Seam 3
                  lightguard

No, it'll probably go into DeltaSpike or have something similar to CODI.

• 6. Re: Scheme setting for pages in Seam 3
                    gkar47

Any idea when DeltaSpike will be ready for active development?

Todays state is that it is not a good idea to do new development in Seam 2 as it is dead ended. And there is no good migration path from it. Seam 3 is also dead ended and it is not as complete as Seam 2 so not worth developming in as we have to build too many work arounds. There never was a document to show how to migrate from Seam 2 to Seam 3. So, getting a document to migrate from Seam 3 to DeltaSpike is VERY unlikly, going by past experience. DeltaSpike is not ready for prime time with no target in site.

We are now looking into going with Spring as it is much more stable with easy migrations. Plus it is available now.

I think Oracle has done a good job of killing Seam.

• 7. Re: Scheme setting for pages in Seam 3
                      lightguard

Bill Elliot wrote:

Todays state is that it is not a good idea to do new development in Seam 2 as it is dead ended. And there is no good migration path from it. Seam 3 is also dead ended and it is not as complete as Seam 2 so not worth developming in as we have to build too many work arounds. There never was a document to show how to migrate from Seam 2 to Seam 3. So, getting a document to migrate from Seam 3 to DeltaSpike is VERY unlikly, going by past experience. DeltaSpike is not ready for prime time with no target in site.

Depends on what you need from it. We're going to start working on JSF integrations in the next couple of weeks. MyFaces CODI may also be a possibility.

What did Oracle have to do with it?

EDIT:

You may also find http://www.jboss.org/jdf/migrations/seam2/open18_migration/ helpful as a migration (which has been up for a couple of months)

• 8. Re: Scheme setting for pages in Seam 3
                        gkar47

Jason Porter wrote:

Bill Elliot wrote:

Depends on what you need from it. We're going to start working on JSF integrations in the next couple of weeks. MyFaces CODI may also be a possibility.

The complete suite of features from Seam 3, Pages functionnality from Seam 2, Solder, Faces, Security, Email, Validation, Cron, Persistence

What did Oracle have to do with it?

When Seam was under Sun it was stable and making good progress. Since Oracle took over Sun there does not seem to be the same stable migration. Like killing one product before the new product is ready. Your average shop can't spend a lot of time trying to figure out how to migrate from one product to a new version with significant breaks in backward compatibility and little to no guidance on the process. Plus keeping multiple versions alive is too costly in training and support.

• 9. Re: Scheme setting for pages in Seam 3
                          lightguard

Don't know if configuring pages will be the same in DeltaSpike or not, jump on the mailing lists and let your voice heard if you'd like an xml config option. Solder is pretty much all there now. Faces will be in v0.4, starting in a week or two, email may be moving to it's own project as it isn't really an integration with CDI. Validation is mostly covered with Bean Validation. Cron is in the same boat as mail and some basic persistence stuff is in DeltaSpike for version v0.3 and also EE6.

Seam was never under Sun, it's always been a JBoss project. There's also Seam 2.3 which is Beta right now but should be pretty stable. This will help you get up to EE6 by using JSF 2 and JPA 2.

• 10. Re: Scheme setting for pages in Seam 3
                            gkar47

I understood that JBoss had been under Sun and hense Seam was under Sun.

Is there any place that lays out the project map with an idea as to when features will be available (just a rough idea). Will there be clear documentation available when the features are released. I don't relish digging through source code of libraries to figure out how to use them.

If I were to start developing using Seam 2.3 will there be a clear migration document as to how to migrate to DeltaSpike when it is production ready? Will it be a huge effort to migrate? If the answer to these are no and yes, then I can't recommend to my company a solution that has a large built in technical debt.

If the modules start getting farmed out and there is no integration then we are back to piecing together a bunch of libraries that may or may not work with each other. The problem I was having before switching to work with Seam and that I was looking forward to Seam solving. If I'm piecing together a bunch of libraries from different sources then I might as well switch back to Spring as it is out and stable.

My company will not allow us to develop using Beta versions, even if they appear to be stable.

• 11. Re: Scheme setting for pages in Seam 3
                              lightguard

Bill Elliot wrote:

I understood that JBoss had been under Sun and hense Seam was under Sun.

Is there any place that lays out the project map with an idea as to when features will be available (just a rough idea). Will there be clear documentation available when the features are released. I don't relish digging through source code of libraries to figure out how to use them.

Some of this is on JIRA (http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DELTASPIKE) I've asked for a concensous about getting a proper roadmap, but nothing yet Please voice your opinion on that one.

If I were to start developing using Seam 2.3 will there be a clear migration document as to how to migrate to DeltaSpike when it is production ready? Will it be a huge effort to migrate? If the answer to these are no and yes, then I can't recommend to my company a solution that has a large built in technical debt.

The migration guide would be similar to the current Seam 2 -> EE6. Once JDF includes DeltaSpike we'll do either a new guide or a revamp of the current one using DeltaSpike. There's also talks of a CDI <-> Spring bridge in DeltaSpike, so if you do decide to go with Spring (Have you seen Snowdrop? http://www.jboss.org/snowdrop) there will be a way to bring things back to EE6 if you desire.

• 12. Re: Scheme setting for pages in Seam 3
                                gkar47

I could not find any JIRA talking about a project map to contribute to.

What is JDF?

How much of an effort would it be to migrate (relative terms) from Seam 2.3 to DeltaSpike?

• 13. Re: Scheme setting for pages in Seam 3
                                  lightguard

From the JDF site:

JBoss Developer Framework shows you how to write applications using JBoss technologies. Want to learn how to write an application suitable for mobile? Learn how to use the Java EE 6 API with JBoss AS? Learn how to add the power of CDI to your browser? Then you are in the right place.

Migrating from Seam 2.3 to DeltaSpike and EE6+ would be faster than going from 2.2 to EE6 because you'll already be using JSF 2 and JPA 2 (JSF is the largest change). The rest are annotation changes typically, maybe some new producers but moving the frontend stuff certainly takes more time (because of changes in JSF and RichFaces/ICEFaces/PrimeFaces/etc).