3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 13, 2012 10:51 AM by salaboy21

JBPM5 - usage approaches/patterns question

dhartford

Hey all,

I've been having some difficulty trying to track down JBPM5 (or, in general, BPM engine) approaches/patterns/architectual mode/deployment model, or some other term I haven't figured out yet ;-)

So, example of what I'm looking for, and I'm hoping someone can help guide towards existing blogs/documentation around this area:

• [master workflow server] JBPM as a separate server, managing many workflows for many 'applications' (application defined as a single domain product, but may have shared components/workflow/subprocesses with other applications). Workflows are created and managed by the server, and 'applications' only make hooks -- an 'application' will not function without the master workflow server.
      • [application workflow] JBPM integrated within the server of a N-tier system, focused on only one application.
      • [embedded workflow] JBPM integrated in an offline thick client, potentially syncing with a parent system.
      • ??? any others I haven't thought of

And then, of course, the pros/cons that people have experienced in each of those approaches, as well as any I may have missed or if I completely mis-understood JBPM's approach.  As an older example, when learning BPEL 5-10-odd years ago there was heavy focus on webservices and leaned very much to 'master workflow server' kind of approach as the 'only way', but required a lot of investment before you got any gains.  Trying to identify other approaches that may be more lightweight for gradual adoption, or may be better for certain scenarios.

Thanks for any feedback!

-D

• 1. Re: JBPM5 - usage approaches/patterns question
          salaboy21

Hi Darren,

I think that you get most of the options right.

With jBPM5 you need to take into account the integration with the rule engine which bring new patterns into the picture. I'm about to public my second book about jBPM which will include a whole chapter about this topics. I'm not saying that you will need to buy the book in order to read about that, but as soon as I finish the book I will be blogging about those interesting topics.

Just for you to know you can also have like mini master servers which can be created inside an application or in a decoupled server to group a logical set of process that wants to be evaluated together.

As you mention there are a wide range of possiblities, depending on what do you want to achieve. You can embed jBPM in an Android device or you can run jBPM in a cluster of main frames.. all the things in the middle are possible nowadays.

Nowaday workflow engines are not tied to Web Services, so basically with jBPM and an integration frameowkr like Camel/Switchard ESB you can integrate no matter the transport layer what you want to use.

Hope it helps

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: JBPM5 - usage approaches/patterns question
            dhartford

Thanks for the prompt response Mauricio, and I do read your salaboy blog frequently when I'm engaged in workflow (and rule engine) work.  I look forward to new blog posts as well as your new book (unfortunately, sooner than later would always be preferred :-) ).

• 3. Re: JBPM5 - usage approaches/patterns question
              salaboy21

Sure, as you can see amazon already show the book for pre ordering, so hopefully it will be soon