1 2 Previous Next 26 Replies Latest reply on Mar 14, 2014 4:42 PM by pferraro

Jboss 7.x - HA Web Sessions via Database Persistence with Oracle

techtalk

Hello Everyone,

Refering to the article : https://community.jboss.org/wiki/HAWebSessionsViaDatabasePersistence   where it describes to achieve data persistence for jboss 5.x.

I would like to achieve the same but with Jboss 7.x. Since there are various changes in structure from AS5 to AS7, I am not sure how should I configure it. I have some problems.

1. There is no Context.xml in jboss 7.x, Not sure where should I use <Manager> and <Store> tags .

2. There is no module defined for class org.jboss.web.tomcat.service.session.persistent.DataSourcePersistentManager in AS7 as given in the article for AS5.

3. Somewhere in comments below the article, its written I can use jboss-web.xml for AS7. Again, I am not sure how should my jboss-web.xml should look-like/ contain.

Any help regarding this will be appreciated !

Thanks & Regards

Manish Suriya

• 1. Re: Jboss 7.x - HA Web Sessions via Database Persistence with Oracle
          techtalk

I was expecting a reply

Anyway.. I found this link http://mastertheboss.com/jboss-application-server/432-develop-a-clustered-application-with-infinispan-data-grid.html?start=1 and now trying to implement the same (using injection). But I am getting this error at the end (with out any stack trace). I am using jboss 7.0.2 bunddled with liferay 6.1 EE.

ERROR [org.jboss.as.deployment] (DeploymentScanner-threads - 1) {"Composite operation failed and was rolled back. Steps that failed:" => {"Operation step-2" => "Operation handler failed to complete"}}

Here is my cache container placed under <Subsystem> of standalone.xml

<cache-container name="cluster" default-cache="dist">
                  <alias>cluster </alias>
                  <transport lock-timeout="60000"/>
                  <distributed-cache owners="3" mode="ASYNC" name="dist" batching="true">
                              <file-store/>
                  </distributed-cache>
          </cache-container>

I have a Oracle datasource

<datasource jndi-name="java:jboss/datasources/LiferayPool_test" pool-name="OracleDS" enabled="true" jta="true" use-java-context="true" use-ccm="true">
                              <connection-url>
                                  jdbc:oracle:thin:@<myaddress>:XE
                              </connection-url>
                              <driver>
                                  oracle
                              </driver>
                              <transaction-isolation>
                                  TRANSACTION_READ_COMMITTED
                              </transaction-isolation>
                              <pool>
                                  <prefill>
                                      true
                                  </prefill>
                                  <use-strict-min>
                                      false
                                  </use-strict-min>
                                  <flush-strategy>
                                      FailingConnectionOnly
                                  </flush-strategy>
                              </pool>
                              <security>
                                  <user-name>
                                      username
                                  </user-name>
                                  <password>
                                     password
                                  </password>
                              </security>
           </datasource>

This is how I am invoking the cache

@Resource(lookup="java:jboss/infinispan/container/cluster")
              private CacheContainer container;  

Secondaly, I also tried without using injection, as expalined in comments of this link ( https://docs.jboss.org/author/display/ISPN/Getting+Started+Guide+-+JBoss+AS+7 ), like this

InitialContext ic = new InitialContext();
             CacheContainer cc = (CacheContainer) ic.lookup("java:jboss/infinispan/container/cluster");
             Cache<String, Object> cache = cc.getCache();

But in this case I got this error:

ERROR [stderr] (MSC service thread 1-4)     java.lang.IllegalStateException

ERROR [stderr] (MSC service thread 1-4)    at org.jboss.msc.value.InjectedValue.getValue(InjectedValue.java:47)

ERROR [stderr] (MSC service thread 1-4)    at org.jboss.as.naming.service.BinderService.getValue(BinderService.java:116)

ERROR [stderr] (MSC service thread 1-4)    at org.jboss.as.naming.service.BinderService.getValue(BinderService.java:43)

ERROR [stderr] (MSC service thread 1-4)    at org.jboss.msc.service.ServiceControllerImpl.getValue(ServiceControllerImpl.java:1216)

Could experts please guide what I am doing wrong. I am new to liferay and jboss 7. Thanks for the help !

• 2. Re: Jboss 7.x - HA Web Sessions via Database Persistence with Oracle
            techtalk

anyone please............

• 3. Re: Jboss 7.x - HA Web Sessions via Database Persistence with Oracle
              pferraro

To enable session persistence to a database:

1. Configure your datasource.  See https://community.jboss.org/wiki/DataSourceConfigurationInAS7

2. Assuming you're using an HA profile (e.g. standalone-ha.xml), change the default cache of the "web" cache container within the infinispan subsystem to use an invalidation-cache configured with a shared write-through jdbc cache store using the datasource defined in step 1.

e.g.

{code:xml}<cache-container name="web" default-cache="database" module="org.jboss.as.clustering.web.infinispan">

<invalidation-cache name="database" mode="ASYNC" batching="true">

<key-based-jdbc-store datasource="java:jboss/datasources/LiferayPool_test" passivation="false" purge="false" shared="true"/>

</invalidation-cache>

</cache-container>{code}

3. Make sure your web application's web.xml declares itself as <distributable/>.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Jboss 7.x - HA Web Sessions via Database Persistence with Oracle
                dbschofield

Paul, Manish was specifically asking about creating HA web sessions.  In your comment you make mention of using a non-HA profile.  Will the configuration you mention properly manage sessions when two non-HA profiles are pointed at the same database and therefore achieve HA web sessions?  For example would JBoss instance A recognize changes to the database and therefore the active session made by JBoss instance B?  If a session is started on instance A and the user gets bounced to instance B and then logs out invalidating the session, will the session get cleaned up on instance A?

• 5. Re: Jboss 7.x - HA Web Sessions via Database Persistence with Oracle
                  techtalk

Thanks Paul for the reply... getting following error with Jboss 7.0.2 and 7.1.1 ..

Message: JBAS014788: Unexpected attribute 'module' encountered.

Pls let me know which version supports the module tag.

• 6. Re: Jboss 7.x - HA Web Sessions via Database Persistence with Oracle
                    pferraro

The module attribute is new to the 1.3 version of the infinispan subsystem schema (found in 7.1.2.Final).  For older versions - you should omit this attribute.

• 7. Re: Jboss 7.x - HA Web Sessions via Database Persistence with Oracle
                      techtalk

Hi Paul,

Even the key-based-jdbc-store is not supporting in 7.1.1 and below versions. I cannt swithc to 7.1.2 as it is not avaialble for downloads.

Could you please give me a code which suits/works for 7.1.1 or 7.0.2.

Thanks

• 8. Re: Jboss 7.x - HA Web Sessions via Database Persistence with Oracle
                        pferraro

<key-based-jdbc-store/> was called <jdbc-store/> in 7.1.1 and earlier.

To use 7.1.2, download and build the source code from here: https://github.com/jbossas/jboss-as/zipball/7.1.2.Final

• 9. Re: Jboss 7.x - HA Web Sessions via Database Persistence with Oracle
                          pferraro

Ben,

You're right - configuring HA web sessions in this way is not quite as robust as the traditional replication approach.  A shared database session store *requires* sticky sessions (this is not a requirement for replicated sessions) - so the kind of bouncing you're talking about would only occur if the instance A was actually unavailable (crash, undeploy, restart, etc.), thus instance A would no longer know about the session in question and would look for it in the database, and when not found, assume it does not exist (or was invalidated).

• 10. Re: Jboss 7.x - HA Web Sessions via Database Persistence with Oracle
                            pferraro

Actually, you can eliminate the sticky session requirement by using an <invalidation-cache/> instead of a <local-cache/>.  This, of course, would require that you use an HA-aware profile (e.g. standalone-ha.xml).

• 11. Re: Jboss 7.x - HA Web Sessions via Database Persistence with Oracle
                              techtalk

Paul Ferraro wrote:

Actually, you can eliminate the sticky session requirement by using an <invalidation-cache/> instead of a <local-cache/>.  This, of course, would require that you use an HA-aware profile (e.g. standalone-ha.xml).

Hi Paul,

Thanks for your reply.

As per your suggestions I am using <invalidation-cache> in standalone-ha.xml... I am getting below error..

15:06:38,303 ERROR [org.jboss.msc.service.fail] (MSC service thread 1-1) MSC00001: Failed to start service jboss.infinispan.web.database.config: org.jboss.msc.service.StartException in service jboss.infinispan.web.database.config: JBAS010291: Failed to add INVALIDATION_ASYNC database cache to non-clustered web cache container.
                                      at org.jboss.as.clustering.infinispan.subsystem.CacheConfigurationService.start(CacheConfigurationService.java:100)
                                      at org.jboss.msc.service.ServiceControllerImpl$StartTask.startService(ServiceControllerImpl.java:1811) [jboss-msc-1.0.2.GA.jar:1.0.2.GA]
                                      at org.jboss.msc.service.ServiceControllerImpl$StartTask.run(ServiceControllerImpl.java:1746) [jboss-msc-1.0.2.GA.jar:1.0.2.GA]
                                      at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.runTask(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:885) [rt.jar:1.6.0_03]
                                      at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:907) [rt.jar:1.6.0_03]
                                      at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:619) [rt.jar:1.6.0_03]

15:06:38,350 INFO  [org.infinispan.cdi.InfinispanExtension] (MSC service thread 1-2) ISPN017001: Infinispan CDI extension version: 5.1.4.FINAL

configuration in standalone-ha.xml is.. since infinispan 1.2 doesn't supports <key-based-jdbc-store>  i am using <string-keyed-jdbc-store>. database type is oracle.

<cache-container name="web" default-cache="database">
                                <invalidation-cache name="database" mode="ASYNC"  batching="true"> 
                                 <string-keyed-jdbc-store datasource="java:jboss/datasources/LiferayPool_test" passivation="false" preload="true" purge="false">
                                          <property name="databaseType">oracle</property>
                                          <string-keyed-table prefix="stringbased ">
                                              <id-column name="id" 
                                                         type="VARCHAR2"/> 
                                                  <data-column name="datum" 
                                                           type="BLOB"/> 
                                                  <timestamp-column name="version" 
                                                            type="NUMBER"/> 
                                          </string-keyed-table>
                                      </string-keyed-jdbc-store>
                                </invalidation-cache>
                              </cache-container>

Could you please guide me what I am doing wrong ?

• 12. Re: Jboss 7.x - HA Web Sessions via Database Persistence with Oracle
                                techtalk

Ok I added the  <transport lock-timeout="60000"/> to cache-container... It starts attempting to create a table but by default suffixin "//deafult-host//<context-name>" to the table name ..hence causing SQL error. Below is the error I am getting now..

13:14:08,233 ERROR [org.infinispan.loaders.jdbc.TableManipulation] (MSC service thread 1-4) ISPN008011: Error while creating table; used DDL statement: 'CREATE TABLE stringbased_//default-host//JavaServerFaces (id VARCHAR2 NOT NULL, datum BLOB, version NUMBER, PRIMARY KEY (id))': java.sql.SQLException: ORA-00922: missing or invalid option

at oracle.jdbc.driver.DatabaseError.throwSqlException(DatabaseError.java:112)
                                        at oracle.jdbc.driver.T4CTTIoer.processError(T4CTTIoer.java:331)
                                        at oracle.jdbc.driver.T4CTTIoer.processError(T4CTTIoer.java:288)
                                        at oracle.jdbc.driver.T4C8Oall.receive(T4C8Oall.java:743)
                                        at oracle.jdbc.driver.T4CStatement.doOall8(T4CStatement.java:207)
                                        at oracle.jdbc.driver.T4CStatement.executeForRows(T4CStatement.java:946)
                                        at oracle.jdbc.driver.OracleStatement.doExecuteWithTimeout(OracleStatement.java:1168)
                                        at oracle.jdbc.driver.OracleStatement.executeUpdateInternal(OracleStatement.java:1614)
                                        at oracle.jdbc.driver.OracleStatement.executeUpdate(OracleStatement.java:1579)
                                        at org.jboss.jca.adapters.jdbc.WrappedStatement.executeUpdate(WrappedStatement.java:371)
                                        at org.infinispan.loaders.jdbc.TableManipulation.executeUpdateSql(TableManipulation.java:154)
                                        at org.infinispan.loaders.jdbc.TableManipulation.createTable(TableManipulation.java:130)
                                        at org.infinispan.loaders.jdbc.TableManipulation.start(TableManipulation.java:231)
                                        at org.infinispan.loaders.jdbc.stringbased.JdbcStringBasedCacheStore.doConnectionFactoryInitialization(JdbcStringBasedCacheStore.java:365)
                                        at org.infinispan.loaders.jdbc.stringbased.JdbcStringBasedCacheStore.start(JdbcStringBasedCacheStore.java:121)
                                        at org.infinispan.loaders.CacheLoaderManagerImpl.start(CacheLoaderManagerImpl.java:129) [infinispan-core-5.1.2.FINAL.jar:5.1.2.FINAL]
                                        at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method) [rt.jar:1.6.0_03]
                                        at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:39) [rt.jar:1.6.0_03]
                                        at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:25) [rt.jar:1.6.0_03]
                                        at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:597) [rt.jar:1.6.0_03]
                                        at org.infinispan.util.ReflectionUtil.invokeAccessibly(ReflectionUtil.java:236) [infinispan-core-5.1.2.FINAL.jar:5.1.2.FINAL]
                                        at org.infinispan.factories.AbstractComponentRegistry$PrioritizedMethod.invoke(AbstractComponentRegistry.java:882) [infinispan-core-5.1.2.FINAL.jar:5.1.2.FINAL]
                                        at org.infinispan.factories.AbstractComponentRegistry.invokeStartMethods(AbstractComponentRegistry.java:637) [infinispan-core-5.1.2.FINAL.jar:5.1.2.FINAL]
                                        at org.infinispan.factories.AbstractComponentRegistry.internalStart(AbstractComponentRegistry.java:626) [infinispan-core-5.1.2.FINAL.jar:5.1.2.FINAL]
                                        at org.infinispan.factories.AbstractComponentRegistry.start(AbstractComponentRegistry.java:530) [infinispan-core-5.1.2.FINAL.jar:5.1.2.FINAL]
                                        at org.infinispan.factories.ComponentRegistry.start(ComponentRegistry.java:173) [infinispan-core-5.1.2.FINAL.jar:5.1.2.FINAL]
                                        at org.infinispan.CacheImpl.start(CacheImpl.java:499) [infinispan-core-5.1.2.FINAL.jar:5.1.2.FINAL]
                                        at org.infinispan.manager.DefaultCacheManager.createCache(DefaultCacheManager.java:626) [infinispan-core-5.1.2.FINAL.jar:5.1.2.FINAL]
                                        at org.infinispan.manager.DefaultCacheManager.getCache(DefaultCacheManager.java:516) [infinispan-core-5.1.2.FINAL.jar:5.1.2.FINAL]
                                        at org.infinispan.manager.DefaultCacheManager.getCache(DefaultCacheManager.java:530) [infinispan-core-5.1.2.FINAL.jar:5.1.2.FINAL]
                                        at org.jboss.as.clustering.infinispan.DefaultEmbeddedCacheManager.getCache(DefaultEmbeddedCacheManager.java:148)
                                        at org.jboss.as.clustering.infinispan.DefaultEmbeddedCacheManager.getCache(DefaultEmbeddedCacheManager.java:139)
                                        at org.jboss.as.clustering.web.infinispan.DistributedCacheManagerFactory.getDistributedCacheManager(DistributedCacheManagerFactory.java:97)
                                        at org.jboss.as.web.session.DistributableSessionManager.<init>(DistributableSessionManager.java:159) [jboss-as-web-7.1.1.Final.jar:7.1.1.Final]
                                        at org.jboss.as.web.deployment.JBossContextConfig.processWebMetaData(JBossContextConfig.java:250) [jboss-as-web-7.1.1.Final.jar:7.1.1.Final]
                                        at org.jboss.as.web.deployment.JBossContextConfig.applicationWebConfig(JBossContextConfig.java:169) [jboss-as-web-7.1.1.Final.jar:7.1.1.Final]
                                        at org.apache.catalina.startup.ContextConfig.start(ContextConfig.java:417) [jbossweb-7.0.13.Final.jar:]
                                        at org.apache.catalina.startup.ContextConfig.lifecycleEvent(ContextConfig.java:182) [jbossweb-7.0.13.Final.jar:]

I am not sure why its appending //deafult-host//... to atble name every time i start server. Below is my new cache entry

<cache-container name="web" default-cache="database">
                                                <transport lock-timeout="60000"/>
                                                <invalidation-cache name="database" mode="ASYNC" batching="true">
                                                    <string-keyed-jdbc-store datasource="java:jboss/datasources/LiferayPool_test" preload="true" passivation="false" purge="false">
                                                        <property name="databaseType">
                                                            oracle
                                                        </property>
                                                        <string-keyed-table prefix="stringbased">
                                                            <id-column name="id" type="VARCHAR2(200)"/>
                                                            <data-column name="datum" type="BLOB"/>
                                                            <timestamp-column name="version" type="NUMBER"/>
                                                        </string-keyed-table>
                                                    </string-keyed-jdbc-store>
                                                </invalidation-cache>
                                            </cache-container>

Please advice !!!! I am stuck

• 13. Re: Jboss 7.x - HA Web Sessions via Database Persistence with Oracle
                                  techtalk

Here an update:

I just checked and I strange to note that even with the above exception message onto server console it does creating a table in Oracle DB  with name stringbased_database  !!!  However nothing is getting stored so far....! Please advice how can I store Httpsessions in db. Thanks !!!

• 14. Re: Jboss 7.x - HA Web Sessions via Database Persistence with Oracle
                                    pferraro
                                    1 2 Previous Next