7 Replies Latest reply on Jun 26, 2012 11:54 AM by ataylor

paging with durable queues

merkava

Hi guys,

Why do we need to configure paging with durable queues?

I mean messages are simply stored in jurnal directory normally. Then why we should configure another paging directory which also does the same thing(saves the messages in the disk)?

• 1. Re: paging with durable queues
          ataylor

Why do we need to configure paging with durable queues?

I mean messages are simply stored in jurnal directory normally. Then why we should configure another paging directory which also does the same thing(saves the messages in the disk)?

Thats incorrect, altho persisted messages are saved in the journal they are still in memory, paging occurs before the message arrives at the queue at routing time.

• 2. Re: paging with durable queues
            merkava

I didn't understand your answer. Would you please explain it more?

• 3. Re: paging with durable queues
              ataylor

you made the assumption that just because message are persisted they are not in memory, all message whether durable or not are always in memory. This is where you need paging, once the max size is hit new messages are received are paged and then removed from memory, once memory is free they are depaged back into memory. Messgaes are never persisted twice, if the message is persisted in the journal, then the paging info is just a pointer to this plus some other info.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: paging with durable queues
                merkava

When the server reset while there are some messages in paging directory not in journal then meesages in journal will survive and messages in paging directory will be lost. Am I right?

• 5. Re: paging with durable queues
                  ataylor

persistant messages will never be lost, paged or not.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: paging with durable queues
                    merkava

What about unpersistant messages which have been paged?

• 7. Re: paging with durable queues
                      ataylor

as far as I am aware, nonpersistent messages are reloaded. you could easily test to see if this is the case