1 2 Previous Next 20 Replies Latest reply on Jun 1, 2012 3:16 AM by matvei

Jboss 7.1.1 + Spring 3 + beanRefContext.xml  = unstable CLASSPATH issue

matvei

I have the following problem:

Configuration:

- Jboss 7.1.1 final

- EAR with Spring 3.0.7 and Camel 2.9.1 inside

- @Autowired annotations for Spring beans

- beanRefContext.xml with just a couple of strings, pointing to businessBeans.xml (located at the same folder as beanRefContext.xml)

Problem:

Sometimes everything works good. So: I have one message in a message queue. The MDB with Spring injected beans will be successfully created. At this point I can stop jboss and start it again. Now I may become the following exception:

Caused by: org.springframework.beans.BeanInstantiationException: Could not instantiate bean class [org.jboss.spring.vfs.context.VFSClassPathXmlApplicationContext]: 
      Constructor threw exception; nested exception is org.springframework.beans.factory.BeanDefinitionStoreException: 
      Unexpected exception parsing XML document from "/content/myear-1.0.ear/lib/myear-spring-1.0.jar/businessBeans.xml"; nested exception is java.lang.NullPointerException

What I've already tried:

1. Snowdrop VFS Loader (the given message shows thisconfiguration)

2. Standard Spring Context class ( org.springframework.context.support.ClassPathXmlApplicationContext )

3. creating myear-spring module, installing it and including as a dependancy in MANIFEST file

4.  saving these 2 files (beanRefContext.xml and businessBeans.xml) directly in EAR/, or in EAR/META-INF/, or in EAR/META-INF/spring/

5. different combinations: "classpath*:businessBeans.xml", "classpath:businessBeans.xml", "classpath:/businessBeans.xml" etc

it does not really help. I may start and deploy the EAR application and it works, or it does not work with the same EAR File. Sometimes it helps to clean the folders:

$JBOSS_HOME/standalone/tmp

and 

$JBOSS_HOME/standalone/data

sometimes not. So I have no idea what is wrong with the CLASSPATH and VFS under Jboss 7.1.1, but this instability does not allow us to use the server.

• 1. Re: Jboss 7.1.1 + Spring 3 + beanRefContext.xml  = unstable CLASSPATH issue
          sfcoy

We're successfully running Spring 3.0.x based applications in JBoss 7.1.1.Final without any problems. We do not use Snowdrop as it was only required to fix issues in Spring 2.5.x.

beanRefContext.xml is a naming convention associated with Spring Framework support for EJBs, but you don't mention them anywhere. Are you using EJBs? This file must be in the jar that references it. Spring will not find it anywhere else. (You will never find files in the classpath in EAR/, EAR/META-INF/, etc, as was the case in earlier versions of JBoss)

You may find Spring applications development and migration guide useful. Be sure to check out the link on classloading that is there too.

• 2. Re: Jboss 7.1.1 + Spring 3 + beanRefContext.xml  = unstable CLASSPATH issue
            matvei

Thanks for the answer. I've read the migration guide, sure. I think, I also understand basic classpath concepts of Jboss 7. As I've already written that my problem is instability. I can not understand why the same configuration sometimes works and sometimes not. One thing makes me curious: beanRefContext and businessBeans files are located at the same place, always. It may be EAR, it may be Jar file inside lib folder in EAR, it may be jar file installed as a module. It does not really matter where I locate these files and how I configure it... sometimes it does not work, Spring finds the first file, but can not find the second one. Probably I have to change something in VFS configuratation, are there any options?

the most common case (which should works) looks like

EAR Structure:

/META-INF/

/MANIFEST.MF

/application.xml

/ejb-jar.xml

/jboss-deployment-structure.xml

/jboss.xml

/lib/

/.. [different libs, camel, spring etc]

/spring-config.jar

/beanRefContext.xml

/businessBeans.xml

/ejb3-ejbs.jar

/META-INF/

/[ejb3 classes]

/log4j.xml

Could you please show me your working configuration?

• 3. Re: Jboss 7.1.1 + Spring 3 + beanRefContext.xml  = unstable CLASSPATH issue
              sfcoy

Hi,

Matteo Ts wrote:

One thing makes me curious: beanRefContext and businessBeans files are located at the same place, always. It may be EAR, it may be Jar file inside lib folder in EAR, it may be jar file installed as a module. It does not really matter where I locate these files and how I configure it... sometimes it does not work,

Actually, it does matter.

We use:

ejb3-ejbs.jar/

META-INF/

com/.../

beanRefContext.xml

The beanRefContext.xml looks like:

{code:xml}

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<beans xmlns="http://www.springframework.org/schema/beans"

xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" xmlns:context="http://www.springframework.org/schema/context"

xsi:schemaLocation="

http://www.springframework.org/schema/beans

http://www.springframework.org/schema/beans/spring-beans-3.0.xsd

http://www.springframework.org/schema/context

http://www.springframework.org/schema/context/spring-context-3.0.xsd

">

<!-- The EJB spring container context -->

<bean

class="org.springframework.context.support.ClassPathXmlApplicationContext">

<constructor-arg>

<list>

<value>com/foo/bar/services/config/spring/timers/timers.context.spring.xml</value>

</list>

</constructor-arg>

</bean>

</beans>

{code}

This finds timers.context.spring.xml in another jar in the EAR/lib directory. It's placed there because that's where it's associated classes happen to be.

Technically, it should also find the beanRefContext.xml in the root of any of the jars in the classpath. If you have more than one of these then you may get instability because Spring will use the first one it discovers, and the order is indeterminate.

Matteo Ts also wrote:

Probably I have to change something in VFS configuratation, are there any options?

I believe that VFS is irrelevant.

• 4. Re: Jboss 7.1.1 + Spring 3 + beanRefContext.xml  = unstable CLASSPATH issue
                matvei

Please let me know the Sping version you use. It'sa nightmare, I may locate the files exactly as you describe, clean tmp and data folders and successfully deploy the application. Afterwards I may stop jboss server and start it again... it does not work as it can not find businessBeans.xml file. Nightmare, have no idea where to dig. If I clean standalone/data and standalone/tmp folders and redeploy the EAR, it may work, sometimes, sometimes not from the first time. Please give me an idea how to localisate the problem.

• 5. Re: Jboss 7.1.1 + Spring 3 + beanRefContext.xml  = unstable CLASSPATH issue
                  sfcoy

We're using Spring 3.0.6 for what its worth.

You need to be sure that there is only one beanRefContext.xml file in your application, otherwise you will get inconsistent behaviour.

• 6. Re: Jboss 7.1.1 + Spring 3 + beanRefContext.xml  = unstable CLASSPATH issue
                    matvei

I've checked it many times, I have only one beanRefContext.xml inside EAR. I usually get NullPointerException with this message, referenced to the businessBeans.xml:

Message : org.springframework.beans.factory.access.BootstrapException: Unable to return specified BeanFactory instance: 
                     factory key [null], from group with resource name [classpath*:beanRefContext.xml]; 
                     nested exception is org.springframework.beans.factory.BeanCreationException: 
                     Error creating bean with name 'ejb-businesslayer.application.context' defined in URL 
                     [vfs:/content/ejb3company-ear-1.0.ear/ejb3company-ejb-1.0.jar/beanRefContext.xml]:
                      Instantiation of bean failed; nested exception is org.springframework.beans.BeanInstantiationException: 
                     Could not instantiate bean class [org.springframework.context.support.ClassPathXmlApplicationContext]: 
                     Constructor threw exception; nested exception is org.springframework.beans.factory.BeanDefinitionStoreException: 
                     Unexpected exception parsing XML document from class path resource [my/company/businessBeans.xml]; nested exception is java.lang.NullPointerException

My businessBeanx.xml includes 2 XMLfiles from oher Projects, for iBATIS DAOs, these jar files also are also under EAR/lib folder, 

ear-subdeployments-isolated set excplicit to false.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<beans xmlns="http://www.springframework.org/schema/beans"
                           xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance"
                           xmlns:context="http://www.springframework.org/schema/context"
                           xmlns:camel="http://camel.apache.org/schema/spring"
                           xsi:schemaLocation="
                             http://www.springframework.org/schema/beans http://www.springframework.org/schema/beans/spring-beans.xsd
                             http://www.springframework.org/schema/context http://www.springframework.org/schema/context/spring-context.xsd
                             http://camel.apache.org/schema/spring http://camel.apache.org/schema/spring/camel-spring.xsd">

<!-- CAMEL PART -->    
                        <camel:camelContext id="camel" xmlns="http://camel.apache.org/schema/spring">
                    <!-- routes will be here -->
                        </camel:camelContext>

<!-- MQ Series Part -->
                       <bean id="mqseries"
                        class="org.apache.camel.component.jms.JmsComponent"> 
                            <property name="configuration">
                                <bean class="org.apache.camel.component.jms.JmsConfiguration"> 
                                    <property name="connectionFactory"> 
                                        <bean class="com.ibm.mq.jms.MQQueueConnectionFactory"> 
                                            <property name="hostName" value="mq.mycompany.com"/> 
                                            <property name="port" value="1421"/> 
                                            <property name="queueManager" value="QM01"/> 
                                            <property name="channel" value="SYSTEM.DEF.SVRCONN"/> 
                                            <property name="transportType" value="1"/> 
                                        </bean> 
                                    </property>
                                </bean> 
                            </property>
                        </bean> 
                       <!-- MQ Series Part END -->

<bean id="producers" class="my.company.camel.producer.ProducersHandler"/>

<!-- MySQLDB part, from mysqldb.jar file -->
                        <import resource="classpath*:mysqldbDAOContext.xml" />

<!-- OraDB  part, from oradb.jar file -->
                        <import resource="classpath*:oradbDAOContext.xml" />

</beans>     

I may deploy the EAR and it works. I may stop it, start it again, getting the exception shown above. Stop it again, call the script:

echo "CLEANING tmp/vfs DIRECTORY"

rm -r ../standalone/tmp/*

rm -r ../standalone/data/*

rm -r ../standalone/log/*

rm ../standalone/deployments/*deployed

start it, does not work, stop it, clean the data again, start it and it works. It is completely inconsistent, I can only assume it has something with class loadng order to do, but have no idea how to check and fix it. Interesting is, that this configuration worked without any problems under Jboss 6.

• 7. Re: Jboss 7.1.1 + Spring 3 + beanRefContext.xml  = unstable CLASSPATH issue
                      sfcoy

Try enabling debug logging for the "org.springframework.beans" category, so we can see what it's doing.

• 8. Re: Jboss 7.1.1 + Spring 3 + beanRefContext.xml  = unstable CLASSPATH issue
                        matvei

I've tried to add this logger to my log4.xml and associate it with a file appender, the file is empty, but I get some information inside boot.log,I will try to post this long log file, probably you may give a hint in which direction should I search further. Could it be that I get these errors because of xmlns/namespace definitions inside my businessBeans.xml

can you please post your namespaces/headers?

• 9. Re: Jboss 7.1.1 + Spring 3 + beanRefContext.xml  = unstable CLASSPATH issue
                          sfcoy

My schema locations are definitely different to yours. You can see them in my second response above.

You definitely seem to have an XML parsing problem.

Also ensure that you have not packaged any XML related jars (xml-apis, xerces, xalan, jaxb, etc) in your application. JEE6 provides all of these services for you.

• 10. Re: Jboss 7.1.1 + Spring 3 + beanRefContext.xml  = unstable CLASSPATH issue
                            matvei

BINGO!     xml-apis.jar was inside my EAR lib folder. That was a problem, now I've stopped and started it several times, deployed und undeployed it. No exception any more. Have to modify (and to find first) my POM file to exclude this transitive dependency.

oh...  7 times it was ok, and afterwards - the same story....

• 11. Re: Jboss 7.1.1 + Spring 3 + beanRefContext.xml  = unstable CLASSPATH issue
                              sfcoy

Are you still getting the same stack trace in the boot.log?

• 12. Re: Jboss 7.1.1 + Spring 3 + beanRefContext.xml  = unstable CLASSPATH issue
                                matvei

Just the same nullpointerException. The Boot.log attached. I will also list my current EAR/lib folder:

activation-1.1.jar

aopalliance-1.0.jar

camel-core-2.9.1.jar

camel-jms-2.9.1.jar

camel-spring-2.9.1.jar

commons-beanutils-1.6.jar

commons-beanutils-bean-collections-1.8.3.jar

commons-beanutils-core-1.7.0.jar

commons-betwixt-0.8.jar

commons-collections-2.0.jar

commons-dbcp-1.4.jar

commons-digester-1.7.jar

commons-logging-1.0.4.jar

commons-pool-1.5.4.jar

mysqldb-1.0.jar

oradb-1.0.jar

ibatis-sqlmap-2.3.4.726.jar

log4j-1.2.16.jar

mail-1.4.1.jar

mysql-connector-java-5.1.16.jar

ojdbc6-11.2.0.1.0.jar

spring-aop-3.0.7.RELEASE.jar

spring-asm-3.0.7.RELEASE.jar

spring-beans-3.0.7.RELEASE.jar

spring-context-3.0.7.RELEASE.jar

spring-core-3.0.7.RELEASE.jar

spring-expression-3.0.7.RELEASE.jar

spring-jdbc-3.0.7.RELEASE.jar

spring-jms-3.0.7.RELEASE.jar

spring-orm-3.0.7.RELEASE.jar

spring-tx-3.0.7.RELEASE.jar

myexceptions-1.0.jar

I have mqSeries JMS module, but there are no XML libs inside this module, I've checked it.

• 13. Re: Jboss 7.1.1 + Spring 3 + beanRefContext.xml  = unstable CLASSPATH issue
                                  sfcoy

You can also get rid of:

• activation-1.1.jar
                                  • mail-1.4.1.jar

although I don't believe these are causing your problem.

commons-logging-1.0.x is also a known troublemaker. if you must use commons-logging, upgrade it to 1.1.1. (we use jcl-over-slf4j ourselves).

What version of Java are you using?

• 14. Re: Jboss 7.1.1 + Spring 3 + beanRefContext.xml  = unstable CLASSPATH issue
                                    matvei

java version "1.6.0_24"

we do not use commons-logging, just log4j, I think these are transitive dependencies from maven, I should manually exclude some files.

removed thes 3 jars... the same exception. I wonder if this issue has something with classpath or not. It looks like the system may read the businessBeans.xml file, but get an exception processing it.

1 2 Previous Next