5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 9, 2012 10:04 AM by faridadhami

Can LdapExtLoginModule be used just for authentication and not authorization?

faridadhami

Hi,

I am not sure this forum is the best place to ask JAAS related questions. I am trying to use LdapExtLoginModule for authentication and another login module for authorization. I was able to configure LdapExtLoginModule in JBoss, but it tries to use LDAP LM for authorization, too and it fails because I don't have the requested roles in my ldap account.

The following is my login module configuration

<security-domain name="domain-name">

<authentication>

<login-module code="org.jboss.security.auth.spi.LdapExtLoginModule" flag="requisite">

<module-option name="java.naming.factory.initial" value="com.sun.jndi.ldap.LdapCtxFactory"/>

<module-option name="java.naming.provider.url" value="ldap://LDAP Server URL"/>

<module-option name="bindDN" value="admin user dn"/>

<module-option name="bindCredential" value="admin user password"/>

<module-option name="baseCtxDN" value="..."/>

<module-option name="baseFilter" value="(sAMAccountName={0})"/>

<module-option name="rolesCtxDN" value="..."/>

<module-option name="roleFilter" value="(sAMAccountName={0})"/>

<module-option name="roleAttributeID" value="memberOf"/>

<module-option name="roleAttributeIsDN" value="true"/>

<module-option name="roleNameAttributeID" value="CN"/>

<module-option name="searchScope" value="ONELEVEL_SCOPE"/>

<module-option name="allowEmptyPasswords" value="false"/>

</login-module>

<login-module code="the authorization login module" flag="required" >

</login-module>

</authentication>

</security-domain>

So, is there a way to configure or customize LdapExtLoginModule to just do the authentication?

Thanks

Farid

• 1. Re: Can LdapExtLoginModule be used just for authentication and not authorization?
          traviskds

Hi Farid,

Were you able to solve this issue? I have the exact same requirement.

I tried adding two login moduules. the LdapLoginModule and the DatabaseServerLoginModule which has a query on the rolesQuery module-option to get the roles assigned to the user.

The LdapLoginModule works fine but the DatabaseServerLoginModule does not seem to be getting the roles. In fact when I do the trace and look at the logs, I notice it is by default activating the principalsQuery as well which I did not set. So maybe it is failing at this point.

Any ideas how we can do this? Will I need to write my own custom login module?

Cheers

Travis

• 2. Re: Can LdapExtLoginModule be used just for authentication and not authorization?
            faridadhami

I had to add the password stacking option like below to make it working.

<login-module code="org.jboss.security.auth.spi.LdapExtLoginModule" flag="requisite">

<module-option name="java.naming.factory.initial" value="com.sun.jndi.ldap.LdapCtxFactory"/>

<module-option name="java.naming.provider.url" value="ldap://LDAP Server URL"/>

<module-option name="bindDN" value="admin user dn"/>

<module-option name="bindCredential" value="admin user password"/>

<module-option name="baseCtxDN" value="..."/>

<module-option name="baseFilter" value="(sAMAccountName={0})"/>

<module-option name="rolesCtxDN" value="..."/>

<module-option name="roleFilter" value="(sAMAccountName={0})"/>

<module-option name="roleAttributeID" value="memberOf"/>

<module-option name="roleAttributeIsDN" value="true"/>

<module-option name="roleNameAttributeID" value="CN"/>

<module-option name="searchScope" value="ONELEVEL_SCOPE"/>

<module-option name="allowEmptyPasswords" value="false"/>

<module-option name="roleRecursion" value="0"/>

<module-option name="password-stacking" value="useFirstPass"/>

</login-module>

<login-module code="the authorization login module" flag="required" >

<module-option name="password-stacking" value="useFirstPass"/>

</login-module>

With that LdapExtLoginModule will add the username and password to the shared state that will be used by the other login module to extract the related roles.

• 3. Re: Can LdapExtLoginModule be used just for authentication and not authorization?
              traviskds

Thanks Farid. Will give this a go.

• 4. Re: Can LdapExtLoginModule be used just for authentication and not authorization?
                traviskds

This did not seem to work. Anyway following this post I was able to do only authentication.

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/8519057/authentication-without-role-in-web-xml-in-jboss-as-7

• 5. Re: Can LdapExtLoginModule be used just for authentication and not authorization?
                  faridadhami

You should be able to do the authentication using LdapExtLoginModule. the issue I faced was I could not use the other login module to extract the roles provided by LDapExtLoginModule. Could you provide more detail on the issue you are facing?