4 Replies Latest reply on May 13, 2012 9:24 PM by croe

Is there a need to create an EN-FR JBoss Dictionary ?

croe

Is there anything else that already exists ?

Is there a need for consistency in FR Translations ? Is there a need for a glossary which would bring some consistency throughout the translation work coming from Bilingual Developers or Translators, and that all could refer to ?

Would there be some people interested in exchanging FR-EN Vocabulary Translation knowledge ?

• 1. Re: Is there a need to create an EN-FR JBoss Dictionary ?
          hpeters

Hi Corina,

Leticia posed the same question a while back in the Portuguese translation space, and I just wanted to add my reply here as well:

The next version of Zanata (1.6) will have a glossary feature! :-) 

So in fact, this is your chance to create a brand new glossary from scratch, if you feel that nothing of that kind exists yet. An integrated glossary feature is a great way to keep translations consistent across different projects & translators.

Zanata 1.6 is due to be released on https://translate.jboss.org in June 2012.

Cheers, Hedda

• 2. Re: Is there a need to create an EN-FR JBoss Dictionary ?
            croe

I am looking forward to be able to contribute to an EN-FR JBoss Dictionnary in concertation with JBoss Community members as I do not have the expertise to take up such task on my own. I encourage everyone who would like to discuss JBoss terminology to use this forum created in this purpose. I will pleased to insert the outcomes of our discussions on the Zanata Online Glossary link to come in June when enough consensus will emerge from developers, translators and users together.

• 3. Re: Is there a need to create an EN-FR JBoss Dictionary ?
              grossetieg

Hi Corina,

I just start to translate on Zanata and I think this is a really good idea. I have some proposals :

• runtime : à l'exécution
              • rollback : restauration or retour arrière ?
              • bridge (about the pattern) : I saw pont or pontage but I'm not convinced...
              • cannot be null : ne peut être null or ne peut pas être null or ne doit pas être null
              • dereferenced : I found déréférencier
              • classloader : chargeur de classes ?
              • thread : thread or fil d'exécution (both are valid : http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thread_(informatique))
              • binding (JNDI binding) : lien or liaison ?
              • passivate : rendre inactif or rendre passif or désactiver ?
              • the string form : j'ai trouvé "la forme du string" dans Zanata que j'ai remplacé par "au format chaine de caractères" ou "la chaine de caractères" selon le cas

Guillaume.

• 4. Re: Is there a need to create an EN-FR JBoss Dictionary ?
                croe

Salut Guillaume,

Thank you for your effort, JBoss Community work participation it is much appreciated here at Red Hat. You are raising an interesting question about the 'domestication' or not of IT terms: it is sometimes difficult to make the decision to translate or to leave in English words like Runtime or Thread into French, namely «À l'exécution» and «Fil d'exécution». There is not always a right or wrong answer and you will find that it changes quickly. That is why we need users as well in order to study trends. A way to look at it is to go on Google.fr and observe number of hits. Another way is to look at Microsoft Language Portal, although there is here a Microsoft 'cultural' element that does not always suit JBoss or Java Linguo. Thank you for your contribution. If we get more words, we will start our Glossary on line very soon. All welcome to join the discussion.

• runtime : EXÉCUTION OU RUNTIME
                • rollback : RESTAURATION OU ANNULATION
                • bridge : PONT
                • cannot be null : ne peut être null
                • dereferenced : I found déréférencier - yes, used in Visual Studio 2010, you can also say «enlever la référence»
                • classloader : chargeur de classes ? yes or classloader
                • thread : thread or fil d'exécution (both are valid : http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thread_(informatique)) - yes I agree
                • binding (JNDI binding) : lien or liaison ? Not sure - could also be reliure, depends on context
                • passivate : rendre inactif or rendre passif or désactiver ?
                • the string form : j'ai trouvé "la forme du string" dans Zanata que j'ai remplacé par "au format chaine de caractères" ou "la chaine de caractères" selon le cas - pourquoi pas.