1 2 Previous Next 17 Replies Latest reply on Oct 16, 2015 10:50 AM by mfalzetta

JBAS014750: Operation handler failed to complete - advice on troubleshooting?

sboscarine

Hello,

I am porting an ear that works in JBoss AS 4.3 EAP.  When I deploy it the ear, I get a bunch of info statements that don't seem to indicate an error, then I get:

18:58:01,573 ERROR [org.jboss.as.server.deployment.scanner] (DeploymentScanner-threads - 1) {"JBAS014653: Composite operation failed and was rolled back. Steps that failed:" => {"Operation step-2" => "JBAS014750: Operation handler failed to complete"}}

What does this message mean?

Where can I find out more information on what caused this?...perhaps which component either failed to start or rejected the ear/war.

Any advice on troubleshooting?

Thanks,
      Steven

• 1. Re: JBAS014750: Operation handler failed to complete - advice on troubleshooting?
          jamezp

Is that the only message that appears? If it is you might want to turn on debug or trace logging for org.jboss.as.server.deployment.

• 2. Re: JBAS014750: Operation handler failed to complete - advice on troubleshooting?
            jaikiran

Which exact version of AS7 is this? I would expect the exception stacktrace to be available on the console/server.log just before this message.

• 3. Re: JBAS014750: Operation handler failed to complete - advice on troubleshooting?
              sboscarine

Hello Jaikiran, the exact version was 7.1.1.Final. 

There were no stracktraces or ERROR messages.  The console output matches server.log from what I can tell.

Would I have any more luck on EAP6 Beta?  This app will go on EAP, but I am jumpstarting the port on AS7 so we can be ready whenever it is finally released.  It is a large legacy app, of varying quality, so I came into this expected quite bit of work to be done to get it running on EAP6.

There were lots of INFO statements.  There was a WARN here and there, but nothing near the stacktrace and the ones I could find didn't seem related to rejecting a deployment.

I got a lot like of warning statements from my POM dependencies:

17:27:13,496 WARN  [org.jboss.as.server.deployment] (MSC service thread 1-8) Class Path entry commons-beanutils.jar in "/C:/tools/axeda-jboss-as-7.1.1.Final/bin/content/earpoc-1.0-SNAPSHOT.ear/(mycompany)ws.war/WEB-INF/lib/struts-1.1.jar"  does not point to a valid jar for a Class-Path reference.

I'm not sure what that's about, but I am otherwise able to use the libs.

I have started by taking an empty war, adding the libs, and adding relevant classes, 1-by-1....I've managed to get a very tiny subsection of the app to deploy. That's also how I know I can access the libs.  I also tried isolating the war outside the ear and didn't get any new info.

I get a lot of:

18:29:10,704 INFO  [org.jboss.as.webservices] (MSC service thread 1-6) JBAS015540: Stopping service jboss.ws.endpoint."earpoc-1.0-SNAPSHOT.ear"."(mycompany)ws.war"."(ourpackage).(DomainObject)WServiceImpl" 

(replaced confidential data with (mycompany), (ourpackage), and  (DomainObject))

As a bit of feedback, if anyone on the AS teams interested, I've already had to update about 5 parts of this app to get it this far in JBoss AS7.  I have yet to see a useful stacktrace and only maybe 1 or 2 of the messages were a reasonable hint as to what's wrong.  The fixes I've made, such as removing elements from a jboss-web.xml file, I had to stumble on through trial and error.  I know JBoss can't anticipate every incompatible setup that worked in 4.3 EAP and give a friendly message, but it would be nice to know at least which module rejected the ear.  For example with this error, should I be looking at Hibernate, JAX-RS, a Servlet filter?  

• 4. Re: JBAS014750: Operation handler failed to complete - advice on troubleshooting?
                jaikiran

I'm surprised that you aren't seeing any exception stacktraces or error messages. Can you attach your entire server.log? Also how exactly are you deploying the application?

• 5. Re: JBAS014750: Operation handler failed to complete - advice on troubleshooting?
                  sboscarine

Hello Jaikiran.  Thank for the quick response!

I am deploying the ear by using "mvn clean package jboss-as:deploy" on the same machine hosting the container.  I attached a sanitized log.

• 6. Re: JBAS014750: Operation handler failed to complete - advice on troubleshooting?
                    jaikiran

In the meantime, can you manually copy over the generated deployment (available in the target folder of your Maven project) to JBOSS_HOME/standalone/deployments folder? Let's see if that shows a difference?

• 7. Re: JBAS014750: Operation handler failed to complete - advice on troubleshooting?
                      sboscarine

No difference.  I also tried changing the lib scopes in my war and deploying it outside the ear, but still the same error.  I am writing tracer code to verify the datasources and other dependencies now.  The JBoss Management UI thinks they're fine, but I'll try to prove it with actual queries.

• 8. Re: JBAS014750: Operation handler failed to complete - advice on troubleshooting?
                        jaikiran

Have you done any changes to the server configuration (like standalone.xml)? Or is this a clean installation? I don't have my work computer with me right now to check why it isn't showing up the relevant exceptions if any.

• 9. Re: JBAS014750: Operation handler failed to complete - advice on troubleshooting?
                          sboscarine

The only change was adding my datasources and the oracle 11g RDBMS driver.  Otherwise, it's the base install

UPDATE:   I verified the datasources with a tracer war connectiving via JPA...and it worked...so the errors were definitely not related to the datasources.

• 10. Re: JBAS014750: Operation handler failed to complete - advice on troubleshooting?
                            jambay

I encountered exactly the same error. Simply .war file that deploys fine on TomEE 1.0 final with no issues is having issues on JBoss:

20:34:28,494 INFO  [org.jboss.as.server.deployment] (MSC service thread 1-2) JBAS015876: Starting deployment of "webprofile.war"

20:34:28,958 INFO  [org.jboss.weld.deployer] (MSC service thread 1-11) JBAS016002: Processing weld deployment webprofile.war

20:34:28,962 INFO  [org.jboss.as.ejb3.deployment.processors.EjbJndiBindingsDeploymentUnitProcessor] (MSC service thread 1-11) JNDI bindings for session bean named HelloEJB in deployment unit deployment "webprofile.war" are as follows:

java:global/webprofile/HelloEJB!test.HelloEJB

java:app/webprofile/HelloEJB!test.HelloEJB

java:module/HelloEJB!test.HelloEJB

java:global/webprofile/HelloEJB

java:app/webprofile/HelloEJB

java:module/HelloEJB

20:34:29,062 INFO  [org.jboss.weld.deployer] (MSC service thread 1-4) JBAS016005: Starting Services for CDI deployment: webprofile.war

20:34:29,100 INFO  [org.jboss.weld.Version] (MSC service thread 1-4) WELD-000900 1.1.5 (AS71)

20:34:29,373 INFO  [org.jboss.as.server] (DeploymentScanner-threads - 2) JBAS015870: Deploy of deployment "webprofile.war" was rolled back with failure message JBAS014750: Operation handler failed to complete

20:34:29,455 INFO  [org.jboss.as.server.deployment] (MSC service thread 1-7) JBAS015877: Stopped deployment webprofile.war in 81ms

20:34:29,459 ERROR [org.jboss.as.server.deployment.scanner] (DeploymentScanner-threads - 1) {"JBAS014653: Composite operation failed and was rolled back. Steps that failed:" => {"Operation step-2" => "JBAS014750: Operation handler failed to complete"}}

• 11. Re: JBAS014750: Operation handler failed to complete - advice on troubleshooting?
                              jambay

Looks like it has something to do with removing the socket bindings, the only one I had left was the http one and that might be the cause. When I went back to the standard "standalone" configuration it worked. I'll open a new thread to ask the minimum socket bindings if I can't get it working. I'm looking to use a configuraiton that only has a single port for http open.

• 12. Re: JBAS014750: Operation handler failed to complete - advice on troubleshooting?
                                brian.stansberry

This could be due to https://issues.jboss.org/browse/AS7-4733. That will result in the unhelpful error message "JBAS014750: Operation handler failed to complete".

• 13. Re: JBAS014750: Operation handler failed to complete - advice on troubleshooting?
                                  crogdor

I know I'm late to the game on this one, but I had the same issue (JBAS014750) and there no explanation for it in the log.  The problem for me was that the module I was referencing for my datasource driver didn't exist:

{code:xml}

<drivers>

<driver name="oracle" module="oracle.jdbc"/>

</drivers>

{code}

After adding a new module (oracle.jdbc) to the /modules directory (according to this documentation), my application deployed fine.

• 14. Re: JBAS014750: Operation handler failed to complete - advice on troubleshooting?
                                    xpavlic4

Check if you are referencing the correct name of driver in <drivers> tag from <datasource...><driver>name</driver>. I had exactly the same error message and it helped.

1 2 Previous Next