1 Reply Latest reply on Apr 18, 2012 2:05 PM by vphanibhushanreddy

JBossRemoting, JBossSerialization, ... how to use these things in JBoss AS?

dominikl

When searching for tips on how to increase the performance of the jboss server (currently I am using version 6.1.0), I stumbled upon some discussions about JBoss Remoting and JBoss Serialization (e. g. http://docs.jboss.org/jbossremoting/docs/benchmark/performance_benchmark.html), but none of the various postings said how to actually use/enable these things. In one posting they said, one should set a system property called "SERALIZATION" to "org.jboss.remoting.serialization.impl.jboss.JBossSerializationManager" to switch from native Java serialization to the custom JBoss one. But that doesn't seem to work (removing the @Serializable annotations - which afaik shouldn't be neccessary for JBoss serialization - leads to the usual Java NotSerializableException). Also I'm quite confused what this JBossRemoting thing really is. As far as I understand know, it is a seperate project, but is somehow integrated into JBoss AS. But why does JBoss AS then use the standard Java RMI sockets and not the JBossRemoting one? And how is it possible to enable JBossRemoting (I guess that's what they called "socket_jboss" in the mentioned article above)?

Maybe you could give me a hint?

Cheers,

Dominik

• 1. Re: JBossRemoting, JBossSerialization, ... how to use these things in JBoss AS?
          vphanibhushanreddy

JBossRemoting is a standalone project,which enables us to very easily design, implement, and deploy services that can be remotely invoked by clients using several different transport mechanisms transparently. As a matter of fact, JBoss Remoting provides the basis for more complex and heavyweight remoting frameworks. For instance, JBoss web services stack, JBossWS, is based on JBoss Remoting with a custom SOAP data marshaller, also JBoss ESB relies on JBoss remoting as transport and data marshaller.

When one would like to connect to a remote server, the only option was to use the necessary interfaces which speaks the same protocol as the server: for example a Socket would require a Socket client, a Web resource needed an URLConnection and so on, where as JBoss Remoting component allows to access any type of transport protocol independently by wrapping with necessay components requiring developer to do much less work.

I'm in process of writing an article on how to configure JBoss Remoting. Will update here once I'm done.