arkhalil

I am using JBoss AS 6. I have created a timer service listed bellow:

package com.mycompany.infrastructure.notification.service;

import javax.ejb.Schedule;

import javax.ejb.Stateless;

import javax.ejb.Timer;

@Stateless

public class NotificationTimerService {

@Schedule(second = "*/30", minute = "*", hour = "*", dayOfWeek = "*", timezone = "GMT")

public void executeSomeMethod(Timer timer) {

System.out.println("Invoking daily event notification ...");

/ / call some session bean here

}

}

Issues:

1. When I restart jboss server the timer service starts execution before the conatainer/application is loaded completely. I want it start execution onces all the session beans (and other classes) are loaded.

2. It executes all the previous invocations that were missed when jboss server was offline. I want it ignore missing calls due to offline mode.

Thanks.

• 1. Re: TimerService startup issue in JBoss AS 6
          wdfink

You should inject the reference to other session beans via @EJB instead of lookup it,this should set a dependency.

The @Schedule timer event is catch up all missing events if it is persistent (by default). If you don't want that behaviour you should set @Schedule(... persistent=false) this will avoid any catch up as long as the bean is down.

• 2. Re: TimerService startup issue in JBoss AS 6
            arkhalil

Thanks, This resolved the startup issue.

1. About setting persistent=false, Will turning persistent off guaranty a single invocation at a particular interval in a clustered environment (multiple jboss instances)?

2. I have also noticed receiving multiple invocations on single JVM at a specific interval. Can you guide about this too? Sorry for asking in the same thread.

• 3. Re: TimerService startup issue in JBoss AS 6
              wdfink

Nevertheless how persistence is set, the schedule is per instance. That mean if you deploy the application in a cluster with X nodes the bean is called X-times

This is still the same as in former versions and still an issue (there are JIRA enhancements).

A naive expectation is that it is a unique application event in a cluster, but it isn't the EJB spec does not specify the behaviour in a cluster.

Can you explain a bit more, I don't understand what you meant ...

• 4. Re: TimerService startup issue in JBoss AS 6
                arkhalil

I mean the executeSomeMethod(Timer timer) is invoked multiple times after every 30 seconds. Thanks.

• 5. Re: TimerService startup issue in JBoss AS 6
                  wdfink

Oh, ok

that smell like a solved bug (in AS7) with persistence=true.

You should stop the server and remove all entries from the timers database or even drop the TIMERS tables.

1 of 1 people found this helpful