1 2 3 Previous Next 41 Replies Latest reply on Apr 11, 2012 12:08 PM by smarlow Go to original post
      • 30. Re: Startup Goes Very Slow with Scanning Entity Classes from Different Jars
        hardy.ferentschik

As an additional factor to tweak you can create a validation.xml and add it to the META-INF directory of your deployment. The content should be something along these lines:

<validation-config xmlns="http://jboss.org/xml/ns/javax/validation/configuration"

xsi:schemaLocation="http://jboss.org/xml/ns/javax/validation/configuration validation-configuration-1.0.xsd"

xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance">

<property name="hibernate.validator.metadata_cache.hard_ref_limit">10</property>

<property name="hibernate.validator.metadata_cache.soft_ref_limit">100</property>

</validation-config>

The two Hibernate Validator specific properties are new in HV 4.3.0.Beta1 and allow to explcitly set the cache size for constraint meta data. See also SoftLimitMRUCache.

• 31. Re: Startup Goes Very Slow with Scanning Entity Classes from Different Jars
          fabdouglas

@Scott

The version numbers I was talking about are relating to HibernateValidator.

The outof memory for me :

Caused by: java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: PermGen space

at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass1(Native Method)

at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClassCond(ClassLoader.java:631)

at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass(ClassLoader.java:615)

at java.security.SecureClassLoader.defineClass(SecureClassLoader.java:141)

at java.net.URLClassLoader.defineClass(URLClassLoader.java:283)

at java.net.URLClassLoader.access$000(URLClassLoader.java:58)

at java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(URLClassLoader.java:197)

at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)

at java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(URLClassLoader.java:190)

at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:306)

at sun.misc.Launcher$AppClassLoader.loadClass(Launcher.java:301)

at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:247)

at org.hibernate.validator.HibernateValidator.buildValidatorFactory(HibernateValidator.java:45)

at org.hibernate.validator.engine.ConfigurationImpl.buildValidatorFactory(ConfigurationImpl.java:170)

at javax.validation.Validation.buildDefaultValidatorFactory(Validation.java:111)

• 32. Re: Startup Goes Very Slow with Scanning Entity Classes from Different Jars
            smarlow

Fabrice,

I know that your still trying to catch up to all of our questions (e.g. whether the above *ref_limit" properties help) but I would like to add one more question.  How many persistence units are in your application?  How many entities are in the application (an estimate is fine)?  How many validation constraints are in the application (an estimate is fine)? 

Do you always get the permgen out of memory?  The java option "-XX:MaxPermSize=NNN" could increase the permgen region to allow more classes to be defined but we should look for a better solution.

Scott

• 33. Re: Startup Goes Very Slow with Scanning Entity Classes from Different Jars
              ablet

Hardy, There are more than 500 entities with constraints there, and the issue is seen when the application is deploying with fresh restarting of AS (without hot deployment).

• 34. Re: Startup Goes Very Slow with Scanning Entity Classes from Different Jars
                fabdouglas

I did a very basic test case to reproduce this issue :

- One PU

- One contrained entity with few basic constraints : NotEmpty, NotNull, Min, Max, and one custom constraint @UpperCase :

@Target({ ElementType.METHOD, ElementType.FIELD, ElementType.ANNOTATION_TYPE })

@Retention(RetentionPolicy.RUNTIME)

@Constraint(validatedBy = UpperCaseValidator.class)

public @interface UpperCase {

String message() default "{com.toyota.a2d.validation.UpperCase.message}";

Class<?>[] groups() default { };

Class<? extends Payload>[] payload() default { };

}

package com.toyota.a2d.validation;

import javax.validation.ConstraintValidator;

import javax.validation.ConstraintValidatorContext;

import org.apache.commons.lang3.StringUtils;

/**

* Simple validator checking the text is fully capitalized.

*/

public class UpperCaseValidator implements ConstraintValidator<UpperCase, String> {

@Override

public void initialize(final UpperCase upperCase) {

// Nothing to initialize

}

@Override

public boolean isValid(final String value, final ConstraintValidatorContext context) {

return value == null || StringUtils.isAllUpperCase(value);

}

}

• 35. Re: Startup Goes Very Slow with Scanning Entity Classes from Different Jars
                  hardy.ferentschik

Hi Mostafa,

I guess it is just a big system (you mentioned once 80 modules, 500 entities, validation, etc, etc). Personally looking back at your JVM memor options:

set "JAVA_OPTS=-Xms512M -Xmx1384M -XX:PermSize=128M -XX:MaxPermSize=128M

I just feel they are ways low. Have you tried going over 2GB in heap size and also increase perm size? I know you said you experimented with the settings, but how far did you go?

• 36. Re: Startup Goes Very Slow with Scanning Entity Classes from Different Jars
                    hardy.ferentschik

Hi Fabrice,

regarding your testcase, is that it? One entity with a couple of constraints? I think there must be more to it. We have many test cases which execute much more complicated setups, including integration tests. What are you actually building a web application or a era file? Since you are saying that it works in jetty I am assuming you are building a war file. If deployed to Jetty it works, right? Where exactly do things blow up then?

• 37. Re: Startup Goes Very Slow with Scanning Entity Classes from Different Jars
                      smarlow

Hardy,

Regarding Mostafa's use case.  I'm wondering, for the multiple PUs, multiple entities with multiple validation rules, how much it would help if we had one HV instance per deployment instead of a HV instance per persistence unit.

Regarding Fabrice's use case.  I'd like to see the simple test case attached, so we can deploy it and experience the permgen oom also.

Fabrice,

Please attach your test archive if you can, so we can deploy it.

Scott

• 38. Re: Startup Goes Very Slow with Scanning Entity Classes from Different Jars
                        fabdouglas

Yes, I was a bit surprised too.

Everythings work on Server (Tomcat and Jetty), in Eclipse, from a Main too.

The issue occurs only during Maven test. I've also been able to produce the issue on my computer (outside my Continuous Integration server) with a simple "maven test"

The important fact, is that some JARS are including with test scope, and in my case, there are many : jdbc driver, mock, junit,...

I guess one / several / all of them are parsed by the classloader there :

DefaultValidationProviderResolver#getValidationProviders() {

Enumeration<URL> providerDefinitions = classloader.getResources( SERVICES_FILE );

}

I think my problem is not the same as Mostafa since the metadata cache (in my case) would be limited to one bean.

I will do some additional tests.

• 39. Re: Startup Goes Very Slow with Scanning Entity Classes from Different Jars
                          smarlow

Fabrice,

You probably are just drifting over the "max number of classes allowed" for your current MaxPermSize setting.  You probably need to increase the MaxPermSize setting for whichever jvm is getting the permgen oom error.

• 40. Re: Startup Goes Very Slow with Scanning Entity Classes from Different Jars
                            fabdouglas

Indeed I've increased the MaxPermSize to fix this. But this project is very small regarding the others managed by my shared CI configuration (surefire, etc.).

So I'm wondering if this issue will not be "un-workaroundable" by increasing perggen limits when I'll get a biggest collection of constraints. I seems that the metadata cache would set a limit... i hope.

• 41. Re: Startup Goes Very Slow with Scanning Entity Classes from Different Jars
                              smarlow

AS7-4470 might help with this issue when its addressed (the idea being that you could share a hibernate validator factory between the different persistence units once its addressed).  A workaround might be to use just one persistence unit for the application.

Scott

1 2 3 Previous Next