3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 10, 2012 12:16 PM by pferraro

AS7 , infinispan cache &Remote store

aryan02130

AS7 has infinispan as a service and the relevant caches available on startup. What I am not able to understand is where does the remote store come to help or when is the data in remote store being used ? I could not find much information on how this would help from the documentation. Could someone please elaborate a bit on this?

• 1. Re: AS7 , infinispan cache &Remote store
          pferraro

The <remote-store/>, like any cache store, is a mechanism of persistent storage so that data in the cache will be available across server restarts (especially when the last node in a cluster is restarted).  The usage depends on whether or not passivation is enabled.  When passivation is enabled, cache entries are only written to the cache store if they are explicitly or implicitly evicted from memory.  When disabled, cache entries are always written to the cache store, either synchronously (i.e. write-through) or asynchronously (i.e. write-back).

The <remote-store/> should not be confused with interacting with a remote cache directly, as with a <remote-store/>, cache entries are still store in memory on your cluster nodes, whereas with a remote cache, they are not.

• 2. Re: AS7 , infinispan cache &Remote store
            aryan02130

So Paul, when you say - data in the cache will be available across server restarts (especially when the last node in a cluster is restarted).

This applies to only the app data or does it apply to the cache containers - web/sfsb/hibernate/cluster too ? I am not been able to valdiate this yet, will be helpful if you can confirm the same .

The following is what I tried :-

Deployed a distributable war file. I see that a new session is created every time the server instances are restarted. I thought the session data would be recovered from the remote-store.

• 3. Re: AS7 , infinispan cache &Remote store
              pferraro

In the default web container cache configuration, the cache store is purged on startup.  To turn of purging:

e,g.

<file-store purge="false"/>