1 2 Previous Next 15 Replies Latest reply on Oct 17, 2012 11:36 AM by ctomc

JSP debug does not work with 7.1.1.Final

kristjan273

Hi,

I am doing some legacy webapp porting to as7 and it is comprised of lots of jsp/servlet pair.

I have tried to debug those by using as 7.1.1.Final, eclipse 3.7.2 and Jboss tools 3.3.0.Beta1. Putting breakpoint to JSP file in eclipse and starting as7 in debug mode is ok.

But at runtime call does not suspend on breakpoint.

Playing with settings in web subsystem (http://docs.jboss.org/jbossweb/7.0.x/config/jsp.html) was not of any help. Maybe is there missing something like 'classdebuginfo' setting?

I have also tried remote socket debugging and starting as7 out of jboss tools, but still no suspend on breakpoint.

It is not a critical issue but would be really helpful if I clarify about this - first if debug is even possible in as7 and what I am missing to setup.

Thank you in advance,

A

• 1. Re: JSP debug does not work with 7.1.1.Final
          ctomc

I think what you are looking for is development=true setting which is broken in 7.1.1

take a look at this https://issues.jboss.org/browse/AS7-4187 and releated thread

--

tomaz

• 2. Re: JSP debug does not work with 7.1.1.Final
            kristjan273

Hi Tomaz,

just tried nightly 772 which seem that have above bugfix included.

I have tried development=true for jsp but still breakpoint does not suspend the runtime.

Any other idea?

• 3. Re: JSP debug does not work with 7.1.1.Final
              safetytrick

I'm having similar issues debugging jsps in JBoss 7.1.* I've successfully gotten the development=true setting to work (jsp hot deploy) but I can't set breakpoints inside jsps. I even tried downloading the trial of JBoss Tools to see if I could set a breakpoint using that (no luck). Setting breakpoints in JBoss 7.0.2.Final works correctly (but I need 7.1 features).

Michael

• 4. Re: JSP debug does not work with 7.1.1.Final
                ctomc

Michael,

in 7.1.1 we have included much reworked web subsystem but unfortunaly I missed a bit that coused all jsp configuration to be ignored.

That bug was fixed soon after 7.1.1 was released and is now part of 7.1.2 and 7.2.x development branch.

You are saying that for you it does not work on any 7.1.x versions. Does that include 7.1.0 which did not have new web subsystem?

Also did you try with nightly builds of 7.1.2/7.1.3-SNAPSHOT or 7.2? That have this bug fixed?

7.2 nightly builds are avalible at https://ci.jboss.org/jenkins/job/JBoss-AS-7.x-latest/

currently 7.2 is just 7.1.2 with added translations...

--

tomaz

• 5. Re: JSP debug does not work with 7.1.1.Final
                  safetytrick

JSP Debugging works in JBoss 7.1.0.Final

JSP Debugging does not work in JBoss 7.1.2.Final (I built from the git tag 7.1.2.Final)

JSP Debugging does not work with artifact on Build #980 here: https://ci.jboss.org/jenkins/job/JBoss-AS-7.x-latest/

Michael

• 6. Re: JSP debug does not work with 7.1.1.Final
                    ctomc

Hi,

I think I have found the couse of this problem.

can you try adding smap="false" to jsp-configuation

<jsp-configuration development="true" smap="false" />

development=true is not needed for this...

If my asumptions are correct this should fix your problem.

--

tomaz

• 7. Re: JSP debug does not work with 7.1.1.Final
                      safetytrick

smap="false" did not change anything on 7.1.2

• 8. Re: JSP debug does not work with 7.1.1.Final
                        ctomc

I will take a deeper look into this issue in the morning(it is 1am here)

will let you know what I find out.

--

tomaz

• 9. Re: JSP debug does not work with 7.1.1.Final
                          ctomc

Hi,

i have just tested on 7.2 snapshots/7.1.2 and debugging works if you set smap="false".

in 7.1.1 it does not work as configuration is ignored becouse of AS7-4187

But this is a workaround, until proper fix is merged into upstream.

when fixed proper behaivour should be smap="true" for enabled and smap="false" for disabled. with true beeing default.

--

tomaz

• 10. Re: JSP debug does not work with 7.1.1.Final
                            safetytrick

This works like a champ, the jsp I was testing with was already compiled when I tried again with smap="false" yesterday (sorry about that). I deleted my tmp directory and debugging worked perfectly! Thank you!

• 11. Re: JSP debug does not work with 7.1.1.Final
                              guinotphil

Hi,

I've just been testing this on AS 7.1.3 and I can't seem to be able to debug any JSP

With AS 7.1.1 + fix from AS7-4187 on jboss-as-web-7.1.1.jar, the following configuration worked fine to debug JSP

<jsp-configuration    development="true"

modification-test-interval="4"

smap="false"

dump-smap="false"

trim-spaces="false"

generate-strings-as-char-arrays="false"

x-powered-by="false"/>

Same configuration on AS 7.1.3 don't let me debug the JSP.

I'm using Eclipse Indigo SR2 with JBoss Tools 3.3.1.

Thank you

• 12. Re: JSP debug does not work with 7.1.1.Final
                                ctomc

There was  bug in 7.1.1 that wrongly interpreted smap configuration attribute. (aka false was interpreted as true and vice versa)

that was fixed in 7.1.2+/7.2+ so to enable debugging you must have it set to true, as it was meant to be in the first place.

--

tomaz

• 13. Re: JSP debug does not work with 7.1.1.Final
                                  guinotphil

Thank you ! That's it: I had to set true to the smap parameter and to clean the tmp directory in standalone before running the server !

• 14. Re: JSP debug does not work with 7.1.1.Final
                                    srinu_1983

Hi

Who hava any idea to make JBoss 7 hot deploy? When change the .jsp or .html files ,then I refresh the browse can see the changes.

I used JBoss 7.1.2 just add:

<configuration>

<jsp-configuration development="true"/>

</configuration>

any other things need to config?

its not worked when i refresh the jsp page i can't see the changes in browser.

1 2 Previous Next