3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 9, 2012 2:51 AM by thomas.diesler

Mysql+Dbcp+Jboss OSGI = Problems

boxsmiley

Apologize if this has been asked before, I did search but found nothing.  Below are my manifest and the stack trace.  I have tried everything I can think of including repackaging dbcp and adding DynamicImport-Package: * to its Manifest.  All to no avail.  I'm desperate at this point.  Please help:)

Manifest-Version: 1.0

Bundle-Version: 1.0.0

Bundle-Name: MY COOL BUNDLE

Bundle-ManifestVersion: 2

Bundle-Description: COMPANY

Bundle-SymbolicName: com.test

Import-Package: javax.sql,

org.apache.commons.dbcp,

org.slf4j;version="[1.6.1,1.6.1]",

org.slf4j.helpers;version="1.6.1",

org.slf4j.spi;version="1.6.1"

Require-Bundle: org.springframework.core;bundle-version="3.0.5",

org.springframework.beans;bundle-version="3.0.5"

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

12:57:55,455 ERROR [stderr] (SpringOsgiExtenderThread-36) Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: com.mysql.jdbc.Driver not found from bundle [com.test]

12:57:55,456 ERROR [stderr] (SpringOsgiExtenderThread-36)       at org.springframework.osgi.util.BundleDelegatingClassLoader.findClass(BundleDelegatingClassLoader.java:103)

12:57:55,457 ERROR [stderr] (SpringOsgiExtenderThread-36)       at org.springframework.osgi.util.BundleDelegatingClassLoader.loadClass(BundleDelegatingClassLoader.java:156)

12:57:55,457 ERROR [stderr] (SpringOsgiExtenderThread-36)       at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:356)

12:57:55,457 ERROR [stderr] (SpringOsgiExtenderThread-36)       at org.apache.commons.dbcp.BasicDataSource.createDataSource(BasicDataSource.java:1138)

12:57:55,457 ERROR [stderr] (SpringOsgiExtenderThread-36)       ... 21 more

12:57:55,457 ERROR [stderr] (SpringOsgiExtenderThread-36) Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: com.mysql.jdbc.Driver from [Module "deployment.com.test:1.0.0" from Service Module Loader]

12:57:55,457 ERROR [stderr] (SpringOsgiExtenderThread-36)       at org.jboss.modules.ModuleClassLoader.findClass(ModuleClassLoader.java:191)

12:57:55,457 ERROR [stderr] (SpringOsgiExtenderThread-36)       at org.jboss.modules.ConcurrentClassLoader.performLoadClassChecked(ConcurrentClassLoader.java:361)

12:57:55,458 ERROR [stderr] (SpringOsgiExtenderThread-36)       at org.jboss.modules.ConcurrentClassLoader.performLoadClass(ConcurrentClassLoader.java:310)

12:57:55,458 ERROR [stderr] (SpringOsgiExtenderThread-36)       at org.jboss.modules.ConcurrentClassLoader.loadClass(ConcurrentClassLoader.java:115)

12:57:55,458 ERROR [stderr] (SpringOsgiExtenderThread-36)       at org.jboss.osgi.framework.internal.HostBundleRevision.loadClass(HostBundleRevision.java:114)

12:57:55,458 ERROR [stderr] (SpringOsgiExtenderThread-36)       at org.jboss.osgi.framework.internal.AbstractBundleState.loadClass(AbstractBundleState.java:415)

12:57:55,458 ERROR [stderr] (SpringOsgiExtenderThread-36)       at org.jboss.osgi.framework.internal.HostBundleState.loadClass(HostBundleState.java:150)

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Generating spring context file.

<bean id="abstractDatabase" abstract="true"
      class="org.apache.commons.dbcp.BasicDataSource" p:username="${jdbc.username}"
      p:password="${jdbc.password}" p:driverClassName="${jdbc.driverClassName}"
      init-method="createDataSource" destroy-method="close" />
        • 1. Re: Mysql+Dbcp+Jboss OSGI = Problems
          thomas.diesler

This code

org.apache.commons.dbcp.BasicDataSource.createDataSource(BasicDataSource.java:1138)

cannot see the mysql driver. How do you deploy dbcp?

Here is the Manifest from commons-dbcp-1.4.jar

Archiver-Version: Plexus Archiver 
          Created-By: 1.6.0_17 (Apple Inc.) 
          Built-By: philsteitz 
          Build-Jdk: 1.6.0_17 
          Implementation-Title: Commons DBCP 
          Implementation-Vendor: The Apache Software Foundation 
          Implementation-Vendor-Id: org.apache 
          Implementation-Version: 1.4 
          Specification-Title: Commons DBCP 
          Specification-Vendor: The Apache Software Foundation 
          Specification-Version: 1.4 
          X-Compile-Source-JDK: 1.6 
          X-Compile-Target-JDK: 1.6 
          Export-Package: org.apache.commons.dbcp.cpdsadapter;version="1.4",org. 
           apache.commons.dbcp;version="1.4",org.apache.commons.dbcp.managed;ver 
           sion="1.4",org.apache.commons.jocl;version="1.4",org.apache.commons.d 
           bcp.datasources;version="1.4" 
          Tool: Bnd-0.0.238 
          Bundle-Name: Commons DBCP 
          Bundle-Vendor: The Apache Software Foundation 
          Bundle-Version: 1.4 
          Bnd-LastModified: 1265565112392 
          Bundle-License: http://www.apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0.txt 
          Bundle-Description: Commons Database Connection Pooling 
          Import-Package: javax.naming,javax.naming.spi,javax.sql,javax.transact 
           ion,javax.transaction.xa,org.apache.commons.dbcp;version="1.4",org.ap 
           ache.commons.dbcp.cpdsadapter;version="1.4",org.apache.commons.dbcp.d 
           atasources;version="1.4",org.apache.commons.dbcp.managed;version="1.4 
           ",org.apache.commons.jocl;version="1.4",org.apache.commons.pool,org.a 
           pache.commons.pool.impl,org.xml.sax,org.xml.sax.helpers 
          Bundle-SymbolicName: org.apache.commons.dbcp 
          Bundle-DocURL: http://commons.apache.org/dbcp/ 

From this I cannot see how dbcp could see the driver class. Lets have a look at the code ...

You don't seem to be using 1.4. Please dig up the code and show how dbcp loads the driver.

Given the above manifest, a likely approach would be that it somehow uses the bundle context of the caller.

In which case the caller would need to see the driver.

You can enable DEBUG on org.jboss.osgi to see the wiring details for the resolved bundles.

• 2. Re: Mysql+Dbcp+Jboss OSGI = Problems
            boxsmiley

Bundle-Version: 1.0.0

Bundle-Name: MY COOL BUNDLE

Bundle-Description: COMPANY

Bundle-SymbolicName: com.test

Import-Package: javax.sql,

org.slf4j;version="[1.6.1,1.6.1]",

org.slf4j.helpers;version="1.6.1",

org.slf4j.spi;version="1.6.1"

Require-Bundle: com.springsource.org.apache.commons.dbcp;bundle-version="1.2.2"

Thanks for the reply.  I had many different manifest attempts.  Here is another using Require-Bundle.  I am using 1.2.2.  I am deploying it like everything else.  I dump dbcp into jboss/standalone/deployments.  It looks good.  Then I refer to it from the manifest.  I have tried to include the mysql Driver bundle directly and that is a no-go.  You are correct that dbcp doesn't see it and I am guessing it is because of the classpath partitioning of the plugins.  I tried dbcp 1.4 with the same results.  I also tried creating a fragment with parent plugin dbcp and that includes mysql driver.  No go there either.  Then I tried repackaging dbcp with DynamicImport-Package: * in the Manifest.  That didn't help either.

Two things are making me crazy here.  1.) Is noone using mysql out there in this way?  2.) This EXACT same deployment strategy works in Virgo/DM Server. 

I will try to turn on DEBUG as you suggested. 

Please let me know if you have any suggestions of other things I might try in the meantime. 

Bill.

• 3. Re: Mysql+Dbcp+Jboss OSGI = Problems
              thomas.diesler

I suggest we get to the bottom of this instead of guessing a solution that "happens to work" ;-)

In standalone.conf you can uncomment this line

# Sample JPDA settings for remote socket debugging

#JAVA_OPTS="$JAVA_OPTS -Xrunjdwp:transport=dt_socket,address=8787,server=y,suspend=n"

and connect your debugger to the running AS7. Then set a breakpoint in BasicDataSource.createDataSource and step through that code until you know how dbcp is trying to load the driver. There might be several strategies with fall back options and so on. We like to understand how this is supposed to work. From that we can derive what needs to be done at app level. We might even be able to uncover a bug in the framework.

Please descibe how dbcp is trying to load the driver (i.e. show code). I look forward to your finding - then we see further.