4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 8, 2012 1:44 PM by rbattenfeld

RHQ 4.2 and JBoss AS 6.1

rbattenfeld

Hi

I am evaluating rhq-server-4.2.0. We have to use JBoss AS 6.1 (community version). The agent logs the following:

The agent does not have plugins - it will now wait for them to be downloaded...

[36] plugins downloaded.

> java.io.FileNotFoundException: /ptp/jboss-6.1.0.Final/server/ptp-prod/conf/jboss-service.xml (No such file or directory)

at java.io.FileInputStream.open(Native Method)

at java.io.FileInputStream.<init>(FileInputStream.java:120)

at org.rhq.plugins.jbossas5.util.JnpConfig.parseServiceXML(JnpConfig.java:144)

at org.rhq.plugins.jbossas5.util.JnpConfig.read(JnpConfig.java:127)

at org.rhq.plugins.jbossas5.util.JnpConfig.getConfig(JnpConfig.java:96)

at org.rhq.plugins.jbossas5.ApplicationServerDiscoveryComponent.getJnpConfig(ApplicationServerDiscoveryComponent.java:452)

at org.rhq.plugins.jbossas5.ApplicationServerDiscoveryComponent.getJnpURL(ApplicationServerDiscoveryComponent.java:441)

at org.rhq.plugins.jbossas5.ApplicationServerDiscoveryComponent.discoverExternalJBossAsProcesses(ApplicationServerDiscoveryComponent.java:259)

at org.rhq.plugins.jbossas5.ApplicationServerDiscoveryComponent.discoverResources(ApplicationServerDiscoveryComponent.java:132

Does this log indicate that JBoss 6.1 is not supported?

Thanks for any help.

Ralf

• 1. Re: RHQ 4.2 and JBoss AS 6.1
          rbattenfeld

May the issue is on your side. What I can see is that the path to the conf folder is not resolved correctly. Our server "ptp-prod" is not located in the .../jboss-6.1.0.Final/server/ folder. Do have the possibility to set this path explicetly? In the connections settings, this field is not changeable.

Thanks

Ralf

• 2. Re: RHQ 4.2 and JBoss AS 6.1
            mazz

One - I can't stand it when our plugins spit out exceptions on the console - I would like to remind plugin devs that they should log errors and not rely on e.printStackTrace(). Anyway, I don't think that community version of the app server is manageable by the jboss-as-5 plugin. Do a search in the forums here - I know there was alot of threads discussing community versions of the app server not being manageable.

• 3. Re: RHQ 4.2 and JBoss AS 6.1
              rbattenfeld

Thanks John, the faq explicetly notes that JBoss AS 6.x should work. I have tested it on my laptop and rhq didn't had a problem to discover the local JBoss AS 6.1 instances. I have to investigate it more why  the agent is not recognizing your inhouse JBoss instances. It would be helpful to know how the plugin is detecting JBoss installations. Do they have up and running when the agent makes the discovery?

There is maybe a chance that I can contribute as well to this project. I am doing it for other JBoss project already.

• 4. Re: RHQ 4.2 and JBoss AS 6.1
                rbattenfeld

After looking at the source code, I was able to manage that rhq reqognizes a running jboss 6.1 instance successfully. It is required to start jboss with: -Djboss.server.base.dir=/home/bfr/tmp/tmp-server/

This path points to the absolute path of the server configuration.

This ia strange to me since this is already defined by --configuration=tmp-default  -b localhost  -Djboss.server.base.url=file:/home/bfr/tmp/tmp-server/

Why this is like this in the jboss-as-5 plugin, I don't know...

I didn't try a jboss 5.1 instance but I can imagine that this helps as well here.

Regards,

Ralf