2 Replies Latest reply on Mar 6, 2012 8:45 AM by shannonsumner

Clarification on Portal Layouts

shannonsumner

Hello all,

There is a song from the Welcome to Pooh Corner that has the following stanza:

“So every time you seek a prize that seems too hard to win, the hardest part is how to start, so stop worrying and just begin.”

Well I am having a hard time starting with GateIn.  I have been tasked to create an intranet portal for my company with the following layout:

Screen Shot 2012-03-02 at 10.17.38 AM.PNG

From my understanding after reading the GateIn developers documentation, I need to create custom portlets for the search box, the top nav, the logo, the welcome text, the left nav, and the footer.  I then need to create a custom portal with a modified portal.xml resembling the following.

<portal-config>

<portal-name>myportal</portal-name>

<locale>en</locale>

<access-permissions>Everyone</access-permissions>

<edit-permission>*:/platform/administrators</edit-permission>

<label>My Portal</label>

<description>My Awesome Portal</description>

<portal-layout>

<application>

<instance-id>portal#classic:/web/NavBarPortlet/navbar</instance-id>

<show-info-bar>false</show-info-bar>

</application>

<application>

<instance-id>portal#classic:/web/LogoPortlet/logo</instance-id>

</application>

<application>

<instance-id>portal#classic:/web/WelcomePortlet/welcome</instance-id>

</application>

<application>

<instance-id>portal#classic:/web/LeftNavPortlet/leftnav</instance-id>

</application>

<page-body> </page-body>

</portal-layout>

</portal-config>

I’m guessing I can’t add the footer portlet to the portal.xml because of the need for it to follow the page content. I’ll have to add it to each page I create.

Am I on the right path?  I’d hate to invest time into this and find I’ve taken a wrong turn.  Also if anyone else has done something like this and has tips for me – I’d greatly appreciate them.  This project requires something more than just modifying the default skin that comes with GateIn.

Thanks in advance,

Shannon