2 Replies Latest reply: Mar 2, 2012 2:20 PM by Rich Raposa RSS

Response Time monitoring and the Calltime metric

Rich Raposa Novice

Hi,

 

I have configured Response Time monitoring for EAP 5.1 using JON 3.0.0 by performing the following steps:

 

1. Download rhq-rtfilter-4.2.0.JON300.GA.jar and copied it into server/default/lib.

2. I modified the web.xml of default/deployers/jbossweb.deployer and added the necessary <filter> and <filter-mapping>.

3. In JON, I enabled the Response Time calltime metric on the Monitoring->Schedules page of my Web Application Context resource, with a collection interval of 1 minute (for testing purposes)

 

I startup EAP 5.1, click around on my application, and I see a new file in default/log/rt named <app-name>-rt.log, and it is pretty cool. I can see all the response times in plain text.

 

My question is: when I go back to the Monitoring tab of my Web Application Context resource, then click on the Calltime link, why is this table empty? Are the response times in the rt.log file supposed to show up in a graph or table somewhere in the JON UI? If not, what does enabling the Response Time calltime metric actually do?

 

Thanks for your help!

Rich

  • 1. Re: Response Time monitoring and the Calltime metric
    Ian Springer Master

    It sounds like you're doing all the correct steps to enable webapp response times. I'm guessing some sort of error is occurring on the Agent side that's causing it to fail to read the response time log files. Can you look in your agent.log file and see if you see any errors that look relevant?

     

    Thanks,

    Ian

  • 2. Re: Response Time monitoring and the Calltime metric
    Rich Raposa Novice

    Thanks Ian! Good advice - here is what I found:

     

    2012-03-02 12:03:33,684 ERROR [ResourceContainer.invoker.daemon-756] (org.rhq.plugins.jbossas5.WebApplicationContextComponent)- The 'responseTime' metric is enabled for WAR resource 'jboss.web:host=localhost,path=/seam-dvdstore,type=Manager', but no value is defined for the 'responseTimeLogFile' connection property.

     

    I have it working now. For anyone who needs to know this someday, I missed a step (that I don't see documented anywhere). On the resource page of your Web Application Context, go to Inventory->Connection Settings and set the "Response Time Log File" property to the full path of your *_rt.log file.

     

    It works great now - thanks again!