1 2 Previous Next 17 Replies Latest reply on Jan 17, 2013 11:26 AM by maher88

can you use tools birt integration with normal JSF 2?

bcn

Can you use the JBoss tools birt integration for a normal JSF 2 application without Seam?

Does the b:birt tag work in that case?

Thanks

• 1. Re: can you use tools birt integration with normal JSF 2?
          snjeza

The JBoss BIRT Integration works with a JSF 1.2 application without Seam.

You have to add jboss-birt-servlet.jar from org.jboss.tools.birt.oda to your classpath (WEB-INF/lib).

I haven't tested any JSF 2 application, but you can try it. I suppose it will work.

• 2. Re: can you use tools birt integration with normal JSF 2?
            bcn

Ok thanks, got it to work.

A couple of questions:

1. Are the jars jboss-birt-servlet.jar and jboss-seam-birt.jar in a Maven repository?

2. When I do in Eclipse ctrl+space inside a b: tag, no attributes are suggested. Can that be fixed?

Thanks

• 3. Re: can you use tools birt integration with normal JSF 2?
              bcn

Another question: I try to install the Birt runtime as JBoss module in AS 7 to avoid a 50Mb war file.

I defined a module, put all the jars in it and had to define some dependencies, one on the xml DocumentBuilderFactory. I defined a module javax/xml/parsers with xml-apis.2.0.jar.

But now I get:

Failed to install plugin from jar:file:C:%5Cjava%5Cjboss%5Cjboss-as-7.0.1.Final%5Cmodules%5Corg%5Ceclipse%5Cbirt%5Cmain%5Corg.eclipse.birt.runtime_3.7.1.v20110913-1734.jar!/: java.lang.ClassCastException: __redirected.__DocumentBuilderFactory cannot be cast to javax.xml.parsers.DocumentBuilderFactory

at javax.xml.parsers.DocumentBuilderFactory.newInstance(Unknown Source) [:1.6.0_24]

at org.eclipse.birt.core.framework.jar.BundleLoader.loadExtensions(BundleLoader.java:147) [org.eclipse.birt.runtime_3.7.1.v20110913-1734.jar:]

at org.eclipse.birt.core.framework.jar.BundleLoader.load(BundleLoader.java:63) [org.eclipse.birt.runtime_3.7.1.v20110913-1734.jar:]

at org.eclipse.birt.core.framework.jar.ServicePlatform.installBundle(ServicePlatform.java:57) [org.eclipse.birt.runtime_3.7.1.v20110913-1734.jar:]

at org.eclipse.birt.core.framework.jar.ServiceLauncher.startup(ServiceLauncher.java:71) [org.eclipse.birt.runtime_3.7.1.v20110913-1734.jar:]

at org.eclipse.birt.core.framework.Platform.startup(Platform.java:75) [org.eclipse.birt.runtime_3.7.1.v20110913-1734.jar:]

at org.jboss.tools.birt.servlet.BirtEngine.getBirtEngine(BirtEngine.java:56) [jboss-birt-servlet.jar:]

Any idea of how to solve this? I guess I need to change the dependency, but I can't find a module or jar with __redirected.__DocumentBuilderFactory.

Thanks

• 4. Re: can you use tools birt integration with normal JSF 2?
                snjeza

> 1. Are the jars jboss-birt-servlet.jar and jboss-seam-birt.jar in a Maven repository?

No, they aren't.

> 2. When I do in Eclipse ctrl+space inside a b: tag, no attributes are suggested. Can that be fixed?

Yes, it can be fixed.

Could you please create a jira for that issue on https://issues.jboss.org/browse/JBIDE?

• 5. Re: can you use tools birt integration with normal JSF 2?
                  snjeza

u j wrote:

Another question: I try to install the Birt runtime as JBoss module in AS 7 to avoid a 50Mb war file.

I defined a module, put all the jars in it and had to define some dependencies, one on the xml DocumentBuilderFactory. I defined a module javax/xml/parsers with xml-apis.2.0.jar.

But now I get:

Failed to install plugin from jar:file:C:%5Cjava%5Cjboss%5Cjboss-as-7.0.1.Final%5Cmodules%5Corg%5Ceclipse%5Cbirt%5Cmain%5Corg.eclipse.birt.runtime_3.7.1.v20110913-1734.jar!/: java.lang.ClassCastException: __redirected.__DocumentBuilderFactory cannot be cast to javax.xml.parsers.DocumentBuilderFactory

at javax.xml.parsers.DocumentBuilderFactory.newInstance(Unknown Source) [:1.6.0_24]

at org.eclipse.birt.core.framework.jar.BundleLoader.loadExtensions(BundleLoader.java:147) [org.eclipse.birt.runtime_3.7.1.v20110913-1734.jar:]

at org.eclipse.birt.core.framework.jar.BundleLoader.load(BundleLoader.java:63) [org.eclipse.birt.runtime_3.7.1.v20110913-1734.jar:]

at org.eclipse.birt.core.framework.jar.ServicePlatform.installBundle(ServicePlatform.java:57) [org.eclipse.birt.runtime_3.7.1.v20110913-1734.jar:]

at org.eclipse.birt.core.framework.jar.ServiceLauncher.startup(ServiceLauncher.java:71) [org.eclipse.birt.runtime_3.7.1.v20110913-1734.jar:]

at org.eclipse.birt.core.framework.Platform.startup(Platform.java:75) [org.eclipse.birt.runtime_3.7.1.v20110913-1734.jar:]

at org.jboss.tools.birt.servlet.BirtEngine.getBirtEngine(BirtEngine.java:56) [jboss-birt-servlet.jar:]

Any idea of how to solve this? I guess I need to change the dependency, but I can't find a module or jar with __redirected.__DocumentBuilderFactory.

Thanks

Adding the BIRT runtime as a JBoss AS 7 module is a good idea.

I think you don't need to define the javax/xml/parsers module because JDK already contains XML API.

• 6. Re: can you use tools birt integration with normal JSF 2?
                    bcn

Without it I get a ClassNotFoundException on DocumentBuilderFactory, so I added it.

I created the issue about ctrl+space in Eclipse:

https://issues.jboss.org/browse/JBIDE-9948

Thanks

• 7. Re: can you use tools birt integration with normal JSF 2?
                      samyomar82

u j

Ok thanks, got it to work.

Do you mean that you made it work with JSF 2  ???

Could you please help me by showing any example Or give me a link for working with Birt using Jboss tools and JSF 2 ???

• 8. Re: can you use tools birt integration with normal JSF 2?
                        bcn

Yes, I got it to work with RichFaces 4 and no Seam.

However, I could not manage to install Birt as jboss module.

So all Birt runtime libs and the two jboss birt libs mentioned above are in WEB-INF/lib.

As my project is "mavenized", I keep these libs in a separate folder and in the maven build they are copied to WEB-INF/lib.

In the jsf page I have e.g.:

<b:birt embeddable="true"
                        designName="WEB-INF/birt/sub_match.rptdesign" designType="embed"
                        locale="#{loginBean.language}">
                        <b:param name="estabId" value="#{bean.reportEstabId}" />
                        <b:param name="weekdayId" value="1" />
                        </b:birt>

Hope this helps.

• 9. Re: can you use tools birt integration with normal JSF 2?
                          samyomar82

Thanks for your reply and help,

Can I achieve this without using seam ? Only JSF2 and RichFaces and Birt liberaries ?

• 10. Re: can you use tools birt integration with normal JSF 2?
                            bcn

yes

• 11. Re: can you use tools birt integration with normal JSF 2?
                              samyomar82

I have another question please,

How did your report connec to the the DB ?? Do you give it a connection object ?? or it use the application default datasource ?

I have developed a report which connect to DB using JDBC datasource, it worked fine

But when I added it to the JSF page and run the application I got thisexception

org.eclipse.datatools.connectivity] (http--0.0.0.0-7070-4) Unable to determine the default workspace loc

I think its connectivity issue.

I font know how to make my report connect to DB in my richfaces/JSF web application (deployed to Jboss AS7.1)

• 12. Re: can you use tools birt integration with normal JSF 2?
                                bcn

I don't know this error, but the report has a JNDI URL like this:

java:jboss/datasources/myDS

which you must also define in Jboss of course.

Hope this helps.

• 13. Re: can you use tools birt integration with normal JSF 2?
                                  m.wuestemann

u j schrieb:

But now I get:

Thanks

I have the same Problem. Have you already solved it?

I'm using Birt 3.7.2 and Jboss 7.1.1.

I also tried to create a Jboss module to avoid such a big ear-file but always get the following Exception at factory.createReportEngine( c );

ERROR [org.jboss.ws.common.invocation.InvocationHandlerJAXWS] (http--0.0.0.0-8080-1) Method invocation failed with exception: null: java.lang.reflect.InvocationTargetException

at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method) [rt.jar:1.6.0_31]

at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:39) [rt.jar:1.6.0_31]

at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:25) [rt.jar:1.6.0_31]

at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:597) [rt.jar:1.6.0_31]

at org.jboss.ws.common.invocation.AbstractInvocationHandlerJSE.invoke(AbstractInvocationHandlerJSE.java:111)

at org.jboss.wsf.stack.cxf.JBossWSInvoker._invokeInternal(JBossWSInvoker.java:181)

at org.jboss.wsf.stack.cxf.JBossWSInvoker.invoke(JBossWSInvoker.java:127)

at org.apache.cxf.interceptor.ServiceInvokerInterceptor$1.run(ServiceInvokerInterceptor.java:58)

at java.util.concurrent.Executors$RunnableAdapter.call(Executors.java:441) [rt.jar:1.6.0_31]

at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask$Sync.innerRun(FutureTask.java:303) [rt.jar:1.6.0_31]

at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(FutureTask.java:138) [rt.jar:1.6.0_31]

at org.apache.cxf.workqueue.SynchronousExecutor.execute(SynchronousExecutor.java:37)

at org.apache.cxf.interceptor.ServiceInvokerInterceptor.handleMessage(ServiceInvokerInterceptor.java:106)

at org.apache.cxf.phase.PhaseInterceptorChain.doIntercept(PhaseInterceptorChain.java:263)

at org.apache.cxf.transport.ChainInitiationObserver.onMessage(ChainInitiationObserver.java:121)

at org.apache.cxf.transport.http.AbstractHTTPDestination.invoke(AbstractHTTPDestination.java:207)

at org.jboss.wsf.stack.cxf.RequestHandlerImpl.handleHttpRequest(RequestHandlerImpl.java:91)

at org.jboss.wsf.stack.cxf.transport.ServletHelper.callRequestHandler(ServletHelper.java:169)

at org.jboss.wsf.stack.cxf.CXFServletExt.invoke(CXFServletExt.java:87)

at org.apache.cxf.transport.servlet.AbstractHTTPServlet.handleRequest(AbstractHTTPServlet.java:185)

at org.apache.cxf.transport.servlet.AbstractHTTPServlet.doPost(AbstractHTTPServlet.java:108)

at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:754) [jboss-servlet-api_3.0_spec-1.0.0.Final.jar:1.0.0.Final]

at org.jboss.wsf.stack.cxf.CXFServletExt.service(CXFServletExt.java:135)

at org.jboss.wsf.spi.deployment.WSFServlet.service(WSFServlet.java:140) [jbossws-spi-2.0.3.GA.jar:2.0.3.GA]

at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:847) [jboss-servlet-api_3.0_spec-1.0.0.Final.jar:1.0.0.Final]

at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:329) [jbossweb-7.0.13.Final.jar:]

at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:248) [jbossweb-7.0.13.Final.jar:]

at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapperValve.invoke(StandardWrapperValve.java:275) [jbossweb-7.0.13.Final.jar:]

at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContextValve.invoke(StandardContextValve.java:161) [jbossweb-7.0.13.Final.jar:]

at org.apache.catalina.authenticator.AuthenticatorBase.invoke(AuthenticatorBase.java:397) [jbossweb-7.0.13.Final.jar:]

at org.jboss.as.web.security.SecurityContextAssociationValve.invoke(SecurityContextAssociationValve.java:153) [jboss-as-web-7.1.1.Final.jar:7.1.1.Final]

at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHostValve.invoke(StandardHostValve.java:155) [jbossweb-7.0.13.Final.jar:]

at org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorReportValve.invoke(ErrorReportValve.java:102) [jbossweb-7.0.13.Final.jar:]

at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngineValve.invoke(StandardEngineValve.java:109) [jbossweb-7.0.13.Final.jar:]

at org.apache.catalina.connector.CoyoteAdapter.service(CoyoteAdapter.java:368) [jbossweb-7.0.13.Final.jar:]

at org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Processor.process(Http11Processor.java:877) [jbossweb-7.0.13.Final.jar:]

at org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Protocol$Http11ConnectionHandler.process(Http11Protocol.java:671) [jbossweb-7.0.13.Final.jar:]

at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.JIoEndpoint$Worker.run(JIoEndpoint.java:930) [jbossweb-7.0.13.Final.jar:]

at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:662) [rt.jar:1.6.0_31]

Caused by: java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: javax/xml/parsers/DocumentBuilderFactory

at org.eclipse.birt.core.framework.jar.BundleLoader.loadExtensions(BundleLoader.java:147) [org.eclipse.birt.runtime_3.7.2.v20120214-1408.jar:]

at org.eclipse.birt.core.framework.jar.BundleLoader.load(BundleLoader.java:63) [org.eclipse.birt.runtime_3.7.2.v20120214-1408.jar:]

at org.eclipse.birt.core.framework.jar.ServicePlatform.installBundle(ServicePlatform.java:57) [org.eclipse.birt.runtime_3.7.2.v20120214-1408.jar:]

at org.eclipse.birt.core.framework.jar.ServiceLauncher.startup(ServiceLauncher.java:71) [org.eclipse.birt.runtime_3.7.2.v20120214-1408.jar:]

at org.eclipse.birt.core.framework.Platform.startup(Platform.java:75) [org.eclipse.birt.runtime_3.7.2.v20120214-1408.jar:]

at com.gelita.webservice.HtmlGenerate.aeuGetReportAsHtml(HtmlGenerate.java:68) [classes:]

... 39 more

Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: javax.xml.parsers.DocumentBuilderFactory from [Module "org.birt:main" from local module loader @51052d (roots: C:\jboss-as-7.1.1.Final\modules)]

at org.jboss.modules.ModuleClassLoader.findClass(ModuleClassLoader.java:190)

at org.jboss.modules.ConcurrentClassLoader.performLoadClassUnchecked(ConcurrentClassLoader.java:468)

at org.jboss.modules.ConcurrentClassLoader.performLoadClassChecked(ConcurrentClassLoader.java:456)

at org.jboss.modules.ConcurrentClassLoader.performLoadClassChecked(ConcurrentClassLoader.java:423)

at org.jboss.modules.ConcurrentClassLoader.performLoadClass(ConcurrentClassLoader.java:398)

at org.jboss.modules.ConcurrentClassLoader.loadClass(ConcurrentClassLoader.java:120)

... 45 more

Hope someone can help me.

Thanks

• 14. Re: can you use tools birt integration with normal JSF 2?
                                    bcn

I still put all the Birt libs into the war file.

The jboss tools team could provide or explain how to make a jboss birt module.

Maybe you could generate a Jira entry for that.

Regards

1 2 Previous Next