6 Replies Latest reply on Feb 29, 2012 6:48 AM by larshuber

Troubles with setting up jboss-as-kitchensink-errai (2.0.Beta1) from scratch

larshuber

Hi

I tried for hours to get to run the kitchensink mentioned in http://errai-blog.blogspot.com/2012/02/quick-tour-of-errai-20.html .

• I checked out kitchensink from github https://github.com/jfuerth/quickstart/tree/errai_kitchensink/kitchensink-errai
      • First I had problems with the validation libraries in Maven -> only source or classes are showing up in eclipse project, depending on the artifact order of the classes jar and the sources jar.
      • After changing the order of the artifacts I was able to compile the project.
      • I tried to run the application described in README.md Section "Running the Application in JBoss Developer Studio or Eclipse with JBoss Tools". The GWT part of the page does never show up. Also in the readme file it is mentioned to create the project by the archetype inside eclipse. Where can I find this one.

What I'm doing wrong? What is the best way to have a running jboss-as-kitchensink-errai (2.0.Beta1) project in my Eclipse (Windows). I want to Debug using DevMode within eclipse with my jboss as 7.1 . Additionally the bus monitor sound very helpful to me.

Who can give me a hint to set up this existing project? Does a video exist showing these steps?

Thanks

Lars

• 1. Re: Troubles with setting up jboss-as-kitchensink-errai (2.0.Beta1) from scratch
          jfuerth

Hi Lars,

Sorry to hear you're having trouble getting started with the Errai Kitchen Sink quickstart. We're actually still in the process of the final QA on this particular demo, which is why I linked to my own fork of the JBoss AS 7 quickstarts. The JBoss Tools team has also created some GWT/Errai support on their end which is not yet in a milestone release (we're just testing it now and we expect it to be in the next milestone build).

If you want to get started right away on a quickstart that works out-of-the-box, try our CDI quickstart.

Notwithstanding all of the above, I like your idea of a screen recording of getting the kitchen sink demo up and running. I'll create one of those this afternoon, and follow up here with a link to it. If you're willing to try following the same steps on your own system, that would be a great verification that there's no magic settings on my system that makes it work for me but not you.

Thanks for giving this new quickstart a try, and sorry for the headaches. We should have all the wrinkles ironed out soon!

-Jonathan

• 2. Re: Troubles with setting up jboss-as-kitchensink-errai (2.0.Beta1) from scratch
            larshuber

Hi Jonathan

I know, all this stuff is not final release. But I'm starting a new project right now and I want to use these technologies. I was using Seam 2.2 in combination with GWT 2.3 and for communication the RequestFactory mechanism (a great concept too). I achieved to extend Seam and GWT to work properly together with all features: security, conversations, client side model/property caching with auto reload, ...

With version GWT 2.4 there were a lot of changes in RequestFactory API, and in combination with Seam 3 this would be too much work to adapt the core of GWTs RequestFactory. I think with errai this is anyway a waste of time.

To bring CDI on client side is awesome. The concept of errai is great (I think, not tested yet, only read). I love reverse engeneering and extending existing mechanisms. But I hate configuring and setting up projects :-(

"If you're willing to try following the same steps on your own system, that would be a great verification that ..."

Yes please, provide me a screen recording and I will verify it for you.

Tanks a lot,

Lars

• 3. Re: Troubles with setting up jboss-as-kitchensink-errai (2.0.Beta1) from scratch
              jfuerth

I think you'll enjoy CDI in the browser. It's a great programming model.

I know what you mean about setting up new projects. Always a pain that none of us want to endure.

I got it all working from a clean install of JBDS 5.0 M5 (after applying a few of the latest updates from the JBoss Tools team) and kept track of my steps. Now I'm going to do it all again with the screen recorder on.

-Jonathan

• 4. Re: Troubles with setting up jboss-as-kitchensink-errai (2.0.Beta1) from scratch
                jfuerth

Okay, after wiping out my JBDS 5.0 M5 installation and workspace, I'm no longer able to make this work. I get the classpath problem you were describing about the validation API. I can fix that by changing the order of the javax.validation jars in the pom, as you say.

But then when I add GWT tooling to the project, the GWT compiler can't find the bean validation API.

None of this happened the first time I set everything up earlier today. Both the sources and the binaries for the Validation API were on the classpath, as they should be. I tried the whole setup twice just now, and got exactly this same classpath problem both times.

I will follow up with the JBoss Tools team next week. The whole point of this Kitchen Sink demo is that it's going to appear as a one-click-setup example project on the JBoss Central screen in JBDS. So we're going to get the setup working flawlessly every time. We're apparently not quite there yet.

Sorry for the inconvenience here, but do try out our CDI quickstart archetype in the mean time.

-Jonathan

• 5. Re: Troubles with setting up jboss-as-kitchensink-errai (2.0.Beta1) from scratch
                  jfuerth

Hi Lars,

Sorry for the delay and thanks for your patience. Here's a video of the whole process, starting with a fresh JBDS 5.0 M5. The two main issues we were running into were:

1. The m2e-wtp plugin version 0.14.x has a bug where source and jar depencencies can't exist for the same artifact (fixed in version 0.15)
                  2. If you install the Google Plugin for Eclipse after the updated JBoss Tools plugins, all Maven integration in JBDS stops working

I'll be discussing these and other issues with the Tools team. I hope we'll have it all working much more smoothly in the near future.

• 6. Re: Troubles with setting up jboss-as-kitchensink-errai (2.0.Beta1) from scratch
                    larshuber

Hi Jonathan

thank you very much. I just watched the video yet and it looks good. I will try at the and of the week. I will let you know if it is working for me. Thanks

Greets,

Lars