1 2 Previous Next 16 Replies Latest reply on Aug 30, 2012 9:48 AM by healeyb

rich:autocomplete - is it desperately missing itemValue= ?

healeyb

I'm really having problems getting rich:autocomplete to work with what I consider a typical use case.

I think part of the problem is that I can't find an example, whether in the showcase or in the practical

richfaces 2 book, where the value selected by the user is used in any way. Nowhere will you find the

value= attribute used, or the selected item used in any other way (i.e. in a value change listener).

http://showcase.richfaces.org/richfaces/component-sample.jsf?demo=autocomplete&sample=modes&skin=blueSky

The basic problem is that everything seems to have been thought about, except storing a reference to

what you've selected. A familiar scenario is using f:selectItems like this:

@Entity

public class Team {

@Id

long id;

String name;

}

public Team selectedTeam;

public List<Team> teamList = new ArrayList<>();

teamList.add(new Team(1, "Liverpool"));

teamList.add(new Team(2, "Chelsea"));

teamList.add(new Team(2, "Manchester United"));

<h:selectOneMenu value="#{bean.selectedTeam}" converter="genericConverter">

<f:selectItems value="#{bean.teamList}" var="var" itemLabel="#{var.name}" itemValue="#{var}"/>

</h:selectOneMenu>

You have a List<Team>, selectItems displays the itemLabel, in this case the team name, and on

selection you store a reference to the Team object in selectedTeam. If you wanted to you could

easily store the primary key id instead. All pretty straightforward although a converter is required.

A rich:autocomplete version of the above example could look like this:

rich:autocomplete value="#{bean.selectedTeam}"

mode="cachedAjax"

layout="table"

var="var"

fetchValue="#{var.name}"

autocompleteMethod="#{bean.teamSearch}">

<rich:column>

<h:outputText value="#{var.name}"/>

</rich:column>

<a4j:ajax event="selectitem"/>

</rich:autocomplete

the teamSearch() method returns a List<Team> where the characters typed into autocomplete

input match in some way the team name. If I type in "Liver" we get one row returned. What is

supposed to happen is that the value of fetchValue="#{var.name}" replaces any characters typed

into the input, so "Liverpool". But fetchValue is also used for the value attribute, so we'll get a

ClassCastException trying to cast a String to a Team (selectedTeam).

If you add a converter, the getAsObject method will be called with fetchValue (the name) as the

third parameter, which is probably not what you want.

So the problem is that you want to internally reference the object by the primary key, but display

friendly text to the user, but this seems impossible with the current offering.

Just adding the itemValue attribute would solve the immediate problem, so that there's a difference

between the text displayed in the input box when you make a selection (fetchValue), and the

component value (itemValue).

Any thoughts? I've got to say this is totally unusable for me right now, unless I've missed something

really obvious.

Regards,

Brendan.

1 2 Previous Next