4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 16, 2012 4:20 PM by fivalo

How to configure HornetQ Cluster in a Jboss AS 6.1

fivalo

Hi

I´m tryng to configure a jboss6.1 4-node cluster with HornetQ v 2.2.5_Final.

I have found many problems with this topic

1. HornetQ hasn´t supports replication, this results in if a node is processing a message and it shutdown the messages than it had are not going to be processed until the server starts again.

2. HornetQ live backup. Every node of HornetQ needs a backup to failover, but if I have 4 nodes I don´t want to have 4 backups-hornetq instance, thats a goverment problem

3. HornetQ locks. When a node of the cluster is shutdown the other nodes stops to proccess messages from the queue.

I've read in many posts and the correct way to configure a live-backup is putting the journal directory in a SAN and the backup instance of HornetQ looks it like its journal directory too.

Also I´ve read the persistence made for hornetq bring a better performance than a database, for the mechanism used.

Tryng I put two instance of hornetq to use the same directories but when a Jboss starts It locks the directory so the other node never starts waiting the unlocking directory

The only solution that I see is to install the nodes of the cluster with a live-backup for every one

Anybody is in accordance with me? Anything what I said is wrong?

Thanks for your comments.

• 1. Re: How to configure HornetQ Cluster in a Jboss AS 6.1
          ataylor

1. HornetQ hasn´t supports replication, this results in if a node is processing a message and it shutdown the messages than it had are not going to be processed until the server starts again.

Replication will be available in the next release

2. HornetQ live backup. Every node of HornetQ needs a backup to failover, but if I have 4 nodes I don´t want to have 4 backups-hornetq instance, thats a goverment problem

correct, but you can have them colocated in the same AS instance

3. HornetQ locks. When a node of the cluster is shutdown the other nodes stops to proccess messages from the queue.

Not sure what you actually mean here.

If I were you i would use AS7.1.0 when its release in the next day or 2

• 2. Re: How to configure HornetQ Cluster in a Jboss AS 6.1
            fivalo

Thanks for your answer

The situatión in the numeral 3 is:

step1. I start JbossNode1 and I start JbossNode2.

step2. I send messages to the queue, these messages are processed by the two nodes. (that is fine)

step3. When I shutdown the node2, the node1 must be working, processing messages but it doesn´t happen, it stops.

It waits to the other node, and if the node2 back too late. no messages are processed.

I want to know if exist any configuration to solve mi problem in number 3.

I'm migrating a Seam application since 4.2.3 to 6.1, Jboss7 has many changes and it is expensive the change.

Thanks a lot

• 3. Re: How to configure HornetQ Cluster in a Jboss AS 6.1
              ataylor

If you dont have a backup node configured for node2 then obviously the messages wont get processed, when the backup node comes up then once again messages will be processed on both nodes

• 4. Re: How to configure HornetQ Cluster in a Jboss AS 6.1
                fivalo

Hi Andy

Thanks for your answer

I could configure the jbossAS 6.1 instances and the horneq backup instances, everything works ok, but i have a question.

When one application send so much messages to the queue and one node fails, the hornetq-backup says "Im the llive server", but what does the backup do while the jbossAS-node is shutdown?

does It get receiving messages?

Or the backup-hornetq only allows the app still working without locks and doesn´t receive messages

Or it receives messages and when the jbossAS starts the messages will be processed

Thank you.

1 of 1 people found this helpful