2 Replies Latest reply on Feb 11, 2012 1:52 PM by fvitorc

Best way to detect user presence

fvitorc

Hi,

I am trying to find the best way to detect user presence (or queue presence).

I've been looking at the source code for sometime now, and I think that one way to know when a user has connected is to listen to the FinishStateSync command on the ServerBus. Am I correct? Is there a better way for that?

As for the disconnect I haven't find anything.

I know that I could send Connected and Disconnected messages from the client, but I would not like to rely on these methods. For example, if the browser crashes, I would never know that the user has disconnected, because he didn't even had the chance to send the Disconnected message.

Regards,

Vitor.

• 1. Re: Best way to detect user presence
          fvitorc

Actually, it's not possible to listen to incoming messages on the ServerBus. I get the following exception if I try to do so:

java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: cannot modify or subscribe to reserved service: ServerBus

So I would like to request a new feature for errai. The proposal would be to get queue connect/disconnect events.

The end user could write something like that to get these events:

@QueuePresence

public class MyQueuePresence implements QueuePresenceListener {

@Override

public void onConnect(String sessionId) {

// do whatever I want

}

@Override

public void onDisconnect(String sessionId) {

// do whatever I want

}

}

Of course, the interface, annotation and methods names could be different.

Where can I request such feature? Is it writing in this forum enough?

Regards,

Vitor.

• 2. Re: Best way to detect user presence
            fvitorc

After a while, I found a solution for that. For disconnects it's quite simple, but for connects you must disable the monitor tool.

Anyway, the ServerMessageBusImpl (just cast to it from a MessageBus) has a addQueueClosedListener for disconnects.

It also has a attachMonitor method, which provides not only connect/disconnect events, but a lot of other notifications.

The bad part is that you won't be able to use the monitor tool, because only one monitor can be active at a time.

I believe the best thing to do then, is to initially send your own connect message (do not rely on ServerBus), and use a QueueClosedListener for disconnects.

Regards,

Vitor.