1 2 3 Previous Next 34 Replies Latest reply on Apr 24, 2018 2:00 PM by lightguard Go to original post
      • 15. Re: Is seam 3 production ready release?
        florianhell

But a decision for Seam 3 is more a Decision for Weld. How much of Seam 2 is included in Weld? May 80 percent?

Seam 3 is just a collection of helpful extensions. And in my opinion weld is well documented and some good books for java ee 6 are also on the market.

I use Seam 3 with ICEfaces 2.0 and Weld for a production release and I'm very happy with it.

There was a time with too less bugfixes btu now it is again really great to work with Seam. And in major case to work with the newest technology.

Florian

• 16. Re: Is seam 3 production ready release?
          kem

at this time, I can create a seam2 project and start coding and testing in few minutes. Seam in action book is very helpful in this regards. I can't say the same for seam3.

I am working on bioinformatics projects. My core business is bioinformatics algorithms, calculations... So, seam or javaee6 are just a layer between my algorithms and the end user. So, I want to focus primarily on my core expertise: bioinformatics. What I except from any framework, not only seam, is an increase in productivity via: tools like seam-gen, tutorials... I can't find this things is seam 3. any link to a good seam 3 tutorial or tool is welcome.

Honestly, at this level, seam3 is not as productive as seam2. It's more easy to start using javaee6 with  netbeans than seam3. Simply because there is a lot tutorial and books in this regards.

khalil

• 17. Re: Is seam 3 production ready release?
            sivalingam.sivasuthan

Click HELP for text formatting instructions. Then edit this text and check the preview.
            I agree with Khalil, Honestly, at this level, seam3 is not as productive as seam2

I am going to start my project in Seam 2.

• 18. Re: Is seam 3 production ready release?
              gus888

Sivalingam Sivasuthan wrote on Jun 29, 2011 19:41:

Click HELP for text formatting instructions. Then edit this text and check the preview.
              I agree with Khalil, Honestly, at this level, seam3 is not as productive as seam2

But, if you want to use JSF 2 in your project, Seam 2 is also not ready for production. So Seam users face both Embarrassments from Seam 2 and Seam 3.

• 19. Re: Is seam 3 production ready release?
                pgmjsd

Sheng G. wrote on Jun 30, 2011 15:32:

But, if you want to use JSF 2 in your project, Seam 2 is also not ready for production. So Seam users face both Embarrassments from Seam 2 and Seam 3.

Ummm... don't use JSF2 then.

• 20. Re: Is seam 3 production ready release?
                  gus888

Joshua Davis wrote on Jun 30, 2011 16:22:

Sheng G. wrote on Jun 30, 2011 15:32:

Ummm... don't use JSF2 then.

But JSF vendors don't support JSF 1.2, e.g. PrimeFaces.

• 21. Re: Is seam 3 production ready release?
                    kem

What about forgetting seam 2 and seam 3 and go for vanilla java ee 6. java ee 6 brings a lot of seam 2 features. In other words, do we really still need seam?

• 22. Re: Is seam 3 production ready release?
                      florianhell

Khalil El Mazouari wrote on Jul 11, 2011 07:30:

What about forgetting seam 2 and seam 3 and go for vanilla java ee 6. java ee 6 brings a lot of seam 2 features. In other words, do we really still need seam?

Yes, we do.

Java ee 6 is really great, but features like persistence and security, faces extensions are so great from seam 3, so yes, u need java ee 6 extensions like seam 3 and for me there is no other choice.

• 23. Re: Is seam 3 production ready release?
                        piklos

Ok, i have an experience of two products written with javaEE 6 seam 3, so i though about sharing our experiences.

My first application was a rewrite of javaEE 5 seam 2 application to JAVAEE 6 seam 3. We done this as a tester to see if java EE 6  Seam 3 combo is ready. We decided that it is.
                        Of course we did this application in a rush, rewritting minimal stuff in order to get it working. We haven't used all the possibilities of java EE 6 programing model, but we were satisfied. We used seam-security,seam-persistence, seam servlet, jsf 2, prettyfaces, and quartz on our own (seam-cron was't even in the repos back then). We tried using seam-faces but they were not ready (full of bugs). We developed it on tomcat 6 because we felt like we want better productivity (faster startup times) and we didn't need EJB support.

The application that i am writting right now is Java EE6 seam 3 app. I invested a lot of my personal credit to persuade business owners to switch to a newer version.
                        Only now, when we have enought time, and we are writting from scratch with javaEE6 in mind, are we able to see all of the strength and defiences of this model.

In short java EE 6 is a huge improvement over the java EE 5. It is so big that you need seam 3 a lot less then you needed seam 2 with java EE 5. Still as other have pointed out seam-security is useful, seam-persistence too, we are using seam-faces, and prettyfaces, seam-servlet again, seam-config (so that you can configure your beans thorugh seam-beans.xml). We are now using tomcat 7.

Seam-faces module is the module that should be the most usefull module, because it brings JSF and CDI together. You can do CDI injections in converters and validators, you can mix jsf scopes with CDI ones without problems, jsf events are now visible in CDI etc.
                        A lot of those stuff are so usefull that one might be caught thinking 'why isn't this in the original spec???'. One of the coolest feature of seam-faces are its integration with url-rewritting. It lets you writt an equivalent of pages.xml in java code, typechecked by the compiler. If you have seam-security on your classpath seam faces let you add restriction based on roles, or permision to pages and all of that is a very great idea.

However there have been couple of very nasty bugs with seam-faces and pretty-faces working together on a servlet container, some of them me and my coleges reported, some of them are still not resolved. If you use ViewConfig you loose the ability to execute actions that are able to perform redirects before rendering on the page.

If you use pretty-faces, and seam-faces on servlet container

<s:viewAction../>

doesn't get fired on certain JSF implementation versions. We had to implement our own solution for that.

So seam 3 is generaly very good, and i am satisfied with it, but some modules definitely need some polish when it comes to combinging them with other non-javaEE6 stuff on servlet container.

It seems to me that seam 3 is best tested agains full javaEE 6 compliant server and if you use it the bugs that i mentioned you probalby won't encounter.

Also if you want to use a servlet container and you don't mind a bug here and there, than you can also switch to CDI seam 3.

Please note: I didn't intend to insult anyone or anyone's work with this post.

• 24. Re: Is seam 3 production ready release?
                          bleathem

That's great overall to hear, thanks for the positive feedback!

FYI: The viewAction bug is being looked at as we speak

Brian Leathem

• 25. Re: Is seam 3 production ready release?
                            mdzhokanov

Brvno Brvnic wrote on Jul 11, 2011 09:12:

s:viewAction
                            doesn't get fired on certain JSF implementation versions. We had to implement our own solution for that.

Can you be more specific about the JSF versions which are compatible with s:viewAction? Currently, I use
                            s:viewAction
                            in my Seam 3/RichFaces 4 application, deployed on JBoss AS 7.0.1 (jsf-impl-2.0.4b09.jar) and the ViewAction is not fired.
                            I tried with Seam-faces 3.0.0 and Seam-faces 3.0.2, but with no success. Could you tell me what JSF version to use in order to get the ViewActions fired?

• 26. Re: Is seam 3 production ready release?
                              ssachtleben.ssachtleben.gmail.com

Try Mojarra 2.0.2-b10.

It works with ajax partial requests and s:viewAction with SeamFaces/PrettyFaces.

• 27. Re: Is seam 3 production ready release?
                                skorejo

Hi Jason,

Following link is not accessible anymore: http://seamframework.org/Seam3/Compatibility

Can you confirm which weld jar we should update to use with Glassfish as I am getting issues while deploying seam 3 on glassfish 5.

Looking forward to hear from you soon.

• 28. Re: Is seam 3 production ready release?
                                  lightguard

Sana,

Seam 3 has not be worked on for at least six years. I STRONGLY recommend

you check out Apache DeltaSpike (http://deltaspike.apache.org/). The

majority of Seam 3 code lives on within DeltaSpike along with other

community contributions.

• 29. Re: Is seam 3 production ready release?
                                    skorejo

Hi Jason,

My application uses @RestrictAtPhase annotation from seam security as well as @FacesRedirect, @ViewConfig, @ViewPattern, @LoginView, @AccessDeniedView from seam faces. I tried to find a guide for their conversions in DeltaSpike but couldnt find much, are they all convertable ?