8 Replies Latest reply on Feb 1, 2012 5:46 AM by maxandersen

Starting server added to launch history

jcw_at_mjc

I'm trying Indigo / JBoss Tools 3.3 and when I start a JBoss AS (4.2) server it gets added to my launch history, so if I click on the Debug button I get told the port is already in use, and Eclipse believes the server is stopped. This didn't happen on Ganymede, does anyone know if there's a way of turning this behaviour off, or if it's a design decision (and if so what the reasoning is), or if it's a bug?

• 1. Re: Starting server added to launch history
          maxandersen

Adding to launch history always happend when using Run As... since otherwise you can't just press the run button again to run the last "run".

Note, this should not mean the server gets started *again*.

Could you outline the exact steps you do (i.e. run as..., stop server, run as... again, and what the server view is  telling about your server (started/stopped ?)

• 2. Re: Starting server added to launch history
            jcw_at_mjc

Hi Max

I've added the server to my Servers view. I select it and then press the "Start the server in debug mode" button on the Servers view toolbar. When I want to run my application I usually click on the Debug button on the main Eclipse toolbar, which launches the last configuration run. In my Ganymede setup (so I think JBoss Tools 3.0) that didn't include starting the JBoss AS server, but in Indigo/JBoss Tools 3.3 it does. Thus the tooltip for the debug button becomes "Debug JBossv 4.2 at localhost (already running)", and if I click on it I get a message box stating:
            'Launching JBoss v4.2 at localhost' has encountered a problem.

Server port In Ue 80080-Http

In the Servers view my JBoss 4.2 server then shows as stopped. I can start it again and it all works fine after that.

The applications I work on most often have the server call some native code, so if I've run some of that I have to stop the server in order to overwrite the DLL, hence I probably re-start my server far more frequently than most people.

I hope that makes sense, let me know if there's anything else I can tell you.

• 3. Re: Starting server added to launch history
              maxandersen

Could you open a bug on https://jira.jboss.org/jira/browse/JBIDE with screenshot of that message box and optimally with details expanded and if there are entries in Error log view please provide those too.

• 4. Re: Starting server added to launch history
                jcw_at_mjc

Thanks, I've opened a bug report as requested. I attempted to upload a screenshot but can't see it on the report, does it have to be validated or something before it appears?

• 5. Re: Starting server added to launch history
                  maxandersen

no it shold just appear if you have added it.

Which bug did you create ?

• 6. Re: Starting server added to launch history
                    jcw_at_mjc

https://issues.jboss.org/browse/JBIDE-10756

I'll try saving the screenshot and attaching it as a file.

• 7. Re: Starting server added to launch history
                      jcw_at_mjc

Max

I'm sure you'll have been one of the people watching the bug report so will know this anyway, but the answer was me getting wrong. I'd created a generic JBoss server rather than a JBoss Tools one (when creating a new server selecting from the JBoss branch rather than the "JBoss Community" one. Mea culpa. I thought I'd add this here in case anyone did the same thing and found this discussion when searching for an answer.

Thanks again.

• 8. Re: Starting server added to launch history
                        maxandersen

Thanks for your followup