9 Replies Latest reply on Oct 8, 2012 5:05 AM by jsutaria

jbpm installer: integration with custom application

matthias_r

Hi,

I'm struggling on how to integrate my application within the jbm-installer.

As I see, jbpm-installer installs and customizes an Jboss AS and deploys jbpm-gwt-console, jbpm-gwt-console-server, the designer and drools-guvnor.

But if I compare these deployments to the graphic here http://docs.jboss.org/jbpm/v5.2/userguide/images/Chapter-Overview/Overview.png I don't know where the Core Services and especially the Core Process Engine reside in. How do I integrate these deployments/services into my own new application? How can I start processes from my application and track them via the jbpm-gwt-console?

Thanks for your help

Matthias

• 1. Re: jbpm installer: integration with custom application
          salaboy21

I suggest you to start simple.

Are you using maven in your application? adding the jbpm dependencies to your application is the first step. Once you get some process working inside your app, you can start looking at how you can monitor those processes using the console. Are you sure that you want to use the jBPM console? or do you want to have your own task lists inside your existing application? Are you sure that you want to embed the engine inside your app? or do you want to use it as a service?

Cheers

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: jbpm installer: integration with custom application
            matthias_r

Are you using maven in your application? adding the jbpm dependencies to your application is the first step. Once you get some process working inside your app, you can start looking at how you can monitor those processes using the console. Are you sure that you want to use the jBPM console? or do you want to have your own task lists inside your existing application?

yes, I'm using maven, dependencies are already there. Using the existing console is just fine for the start.

Are you sure that you want to embed the engine inside your app? or do you want to use it as a service?

that is the probably best question. I thought jbpm is already deployed so I do not need to embed it. How do I use it as a service? And if I embed it, would it be the best way to bind it to the same repository for persistence?

• 3. Re: jbpm installer: integration with custom application
              matthias_r

Hi

I would like to get back to that issue with a little more background information from my side.

I miss some info about the deployment of jBPM in general and how it is done in the jbpm-installer. I read in the user guide (you said it as well) that jBPM can be deployed as a service or embedded in my application.

1. I have no idea on how to deploy jBPM as a service. How would I do that? Is that the OSGi part?
              2. If jBPM runs embedded in my application - how can I leverage the console? With setting up the same guvnor repository and datasources for the console and my application?

Thanks for your help!

Matthias

• 4. Re: jbpm installer: integration with custom application
                salaboy21

The jbpm-server (or jbpm-gwt-server) expose a rest api to be called to interact with the engine. The console is using that server to interact, so if you use that service all the changes will appear in the console. If you embed the engine in you application you will need to find the way to notify the console about the changes.. probably making that your server installation look for the same database than the one that is using your application.

Cheers

• 5. Re: jbpm installer: integration with custom application
                  matthias_r

Hi Mauricio,

thanks for the help. So I think I give it a try to use the database as the synchronisation point.

Matthias

• 6. Re: jbpm installer: integration with custom application
                    gchavarro

Salaboy can you give me a example on how integration with custom application.

in theory i understand but i don't know how to make in code,   any sample for help me

thanks

• 7. Re: jbpm installer: integration with custom application
                      08august

Hi Matthias Ritcher,

I am also having same problem regarding "integration with custom application",but i am not using maven application.can u help regarding this,it would be greatful.

Regards,

Hari krishna

• 8. Re: jbpm installer: integration with custom application
                        08august

hi salatino,

can u provide detail information regarding "JBPM 5.3 integration with my own application" but here i am not using Maven in my application.I am using eclipse tooling.

Thanking you

Hari

• 9. Re: jbpm installer: integration with custom application
                          jsutaria

Hello,

Using Maven and Spring seems to be a easy way to go to integrate JBPM 5 with an existing application - http://docs.jboss.org/jbpm/v5.3/userguide/ch.integration.html#d0e7631

This workes for me pretty well in a way I use eclipse tooling to design proecsses, have a offline way to import this into my application, and then have Spring services wrapping these jbpm processes as public interfaces to start/stop the processes from external triggers.

Next challenge is how to monitor these processes. I think there acn be 2 ways to go about -

a. Use persistence for your processes using your own application schema and then write custom Spring services along with a custom UI that uses the persistent jbpm tables to display whats going on. This can be a harder way to go about and not too sure avbout its long term feasibility.

b. Embed jbpm console artifacts (guvor/etc) within my application and some how point the jbpm console ibraries to my application schema and thats it. This should be the way ahead. If this is possible, which I think it should, would request some one to point me to related documentation on this.

Thans,

Jatin