7 Replies Latest reply on May 2, 2012 3:20 PM by mwr0707

Runtime Environment 7.1 Default Config 3.3M5

mwr0707

On 3.3M5, I've created a 7.1 runtime env and set the JRE to a Java 1.6 installation.

When creating a new Dynamic Web Project, the project configuration "Default JBoss 7.1 runtime configuration" insists on configuring a non-existent (in my case) 1.7 JRE by default.

The symptoms are deployable class files built at 1.7 which fail at deployment when a 1.7 JRE is not present.

This can be worked around by modifying the default configuration during project creation.  After project creation, this can be worked around by changing the project Java Facet and Compiler Compliance Level.

The desired behavior is for the "Default JBoss 7.1 runtime configuration" during project creation to utilize the setting in the configured JBoss 7.1 Server runtime by default.

• 1. Re: Runtime Environment 7.1 Default Config 3.3M5
          maxandersen

I don't see this.

Have you installed Java 7 support into your eclipse indigo or something ?

There should not be any usage of "non existing JRE's", only execution environments.

The runtime of your server really does not have anything to do with the target JDK of the project.

i.e. you could be targeting Java 5 on a Java 6 server.

...I've seen a few other reports on this and haven't been able to spot the problem on my side...any

chance you can take some screenshots/jing it _?

• 2. Re: Runtime Environment 7.1 Default Config 3.3M5
            mwr0707

Thanks Max,

Right.  Somehow, it's the presence of the execution environment and or the associated server that changes the project creation behavior (when that runtime is selected at project creation time).props1.PNG

No Java 7 currently installed.  I can replicate the behavior in a new workspace: 

1.  No JBoss runtime configured, no JBoss server defined:  When creating a new Dynamic Web Project in this state, the Project Configuration defaults to "Default Configuration".  The generated project selects "Use compliance from execution environment 'JavaSE-1.6' on the Java Build Path.  The Java compiler setting is 1.6.

2. JBoss runtime configured, JBoss server defined.  When creating a new Dynamic Web Project,  I set Target runtime = 'JBoss 7.1 Runtime'.  The project Configuration automatically switches to 'Default Configuration for JBoss 7.1 Runtime".  The project Java Compliance setting is 1.7.  'Use compliance from execution environment on the Java Build Path' is disabled.  'Use default compliance settings' is checked.props2.PNG

• 3. Re: Runtime Environment 7.1 Default Config 3.3M5
              maxandersen

what is your global workspace java compiler compliance level set to ?

mine is Java 6.

• 4. Re: Runtime Environment 7.1 Default Config 3.3M5
                mwr0707

Same here.

prop3.PNG

• 5. Re: Runtime Environment 7.1 Default Config 3.3M5
                  maxandersen

Never mind - I just reproduced this.

I believe the problem here is that we no longer limit which upper java version you run with thus it picks the "latest".

But need to investigate if that is true.

• 6. Re: Runtime Environment 7.1 Default Config 3.3M5
                    maxandersen

We've tried reproducing this issue at https://issues.jboss.org/browse/JBIDE-10657 but simply cannot find a way.

do you still have a problem with this in later recent versions of JBoss Tools/Developer Studio ?

• 7. Re: Runtime Environment 7.1 Default Config 3.3M5
                      mwr0707

My env has changed since I reported this, but I'll see if I can reproduce again.