1 2 3 4 Previous Next 54 Replies Latest reply on Dec 13, 2012 5:30 AM by gonzalad Go to original post
      • 15. Re: Roadmap and Planning for RichFaces 4.2 and beyond
        bleathem

@Cagatay Civici: thanks for the congrats, and I am indeed very interested in pursuing interoperability with other JSF frameworks.  Let's pursue the discussion in the thread Lukas started - I'd hate to see this thread hi-jacked with another topic

@Lukas: Your proposals are excellent!  Pulling out some high-level goals we can target with RichFaces 4.2, I see:

• CDK improvements

I particularly like the idea of reducing the turnaround time for CDK component development.  Some improvementws to the maven plugin, together with a tool like jRebel or FakeReplace will give us some excellent improvements.

• HTML 5

Looking more into providing HTML 5 specific components would be great too.  I started playing around with a HTML 5 input component, and the best facelet syntax to use isn't immediately apparent.  We would benefit from engaging the broader JSF community here.

• Arquillian Ajocado/JSFUnit/Drone/RushEye/QUnit

+1 We've got a lot of tests in place in the current framework and components, but improvements to the infrastructure to facilitate test creation would help reduce the turnaround time for new components.  Also, gaining more "mileage" out of the tests we write, by reusing the same test in different scenarios (htmlunit, in-browser, etc) will give us more "bang for the buck"!

• Framework/spec improvements

These ideas are again great, we'll have some experimentation work to do to see what works and what doesn't.  Defeinitely some room to have some research fun here!

Let's keep the brainstorming going, and give some thought to the impl details of the ideas we've already put forward.

• 16. Re: Roadmap and Planning for RichFaces 4.2 and beyond
          kwutzke

Just my 2 cents:

+2 for JSF 2.2 support

+1 for page layouting component (really saves you a lot of CSS hassle which is somewhat project-specific mostly, too... "per project redo")

+1 for Google Map component

Overall I think bugs should be addressed before extending functionality, then porting of RF3 to RF4 components, then project management/integration stuff.

Karsten

• 17. Re: Roadmap and Planning for RichFaces 4.2 and beyond
            lfryc
            • 18. Re: Roadmap and Planning for RichFaces 4.2 and beyond
              bleathem

@Karsten Wutzke, the idea of layout componets is a good one - some low-hanging-fruit to be harvested there for sure.

I'd love to see someone work through my recent CDK blog series, and create a google map JSF component.  That would make a great addition to the sandbox.

@Lukas - good call on rainging the accessiblity issue.  I've created a jira to tack it: https://issues.jboss.org/browse/RF-11841

• 19. Re: Roadmap and Planning for RichFaces 4.2 and beyond
                gonzalad

Restore IE7 support in RF 4.2 ?

• 20. Re: Roadmap and Planning for RichFaces 4.2 and beyond
                  undermanager

Congratuations to the team on RF 4.1. 

In terms of what comes next - here are my thoughts, for what they're worth:

1) Bug fixes.  I've encountered remarkably few bugs in RF4, which is a real testament to the team.  But I would say that fixing existing bugs should be top of the list.

2) Browser inter-operability.  I think some current issues (e.g. Ajax in IE9) may be out of your control due to upstream dependencies, so this may be less of an issue.

3) Fuller documentation - especially in the tag library docs, where I believe there are some gaps.  Another example would be the "resource loading strategies" section of the latest Developer Guide. This is a great - and important - new development, but it appears to leave a lot unsaid.

4) More help for newbies, and part-time users (like myself) in getting up & running quickly. Break down those barriers to entry.  I've had good success with NetBeans and Glassfish as my specific IDE & container; but I've really struggled with Eclipse/JBoss Tools/Maven set-up for RF4.  I'm not a regular Eclise or Maven user - but given it's the de facto RF development environment, I'd prefer to use it myself.

5) After that, more components?  To stop those who complain about "other frameworks" having a richer library of ready-to-use components?

Congratulations again on RF 4.1.  I really like the Ajax integration that's at the heart of this framework.  I've only just scratched the surface of what can be done!

• 21. Re: Roadmap and Planning for RichFaces 4.2 and beyond
                    lfryc

Thanks for feedback!

undermanager wrote:

3) Fuller documentation - especially in the tag library docs, where I believe there are some gaps.  Another example would be the "resource loading strategies" section of the latest Developer Guide. This is a great - and important - new development, but it appears to leave a lot unsaid.

As Brian already said, completing VDL-DOC is priority.

It would be great if you could provide with specific points where you have problems to consume "Resource loading strategies" documentation. Don't hesitate to open new discussion [1].

[1] http://community.jboss.org/en/post!input.jspa?containerType=14&container=2024

undermanager wrote:

4) More help for newbies, and part-time users (like myself) in getting up & running quickly. Break down those barriers to entry.  I've had good success with NetBeans and Glassfish as my specific IDE & container; but I've really struggled with Eclipse/JBoss Tools/Maven set-up for RF4.  I'm not a regular Eclise or Maven user - but given it's the de facto RF development environment, I'd prefer to use it myself.

Forge plugin should cover a lot of ramp up issues.

As for Netbeans/Eclipse, the latter is more difficult to start with, I agree.

It would be great if you could point to your specific issues and possibly elaborate on solutions (docs improvement, wiki docs), so we will be able to address them.

Don't hessitate to connect to #richfaces at irc.freenode.net to discuss such issues!

Cheers,

~ Lukas

• 22. Re: Roadmap and Planning for RichFaces 4.2 and beyond
                      lfryc

LTR / RTL (right-to-left) support for all components

• 23. Re: Roadmap and Planning for RichFaces 4.2 and beyond
                        samyomar82

First Thanks for  RF 4.1, I am working with it now and I am Happy

Our coming goals from my point of view (in periority order) should be as following:

- Being more stability by working on bug fixing + browser compitability issues.

- Performance inhancement (Very cretical) our tool should very very lieght wieght, and run as a charm.

- Making RF more easier By, making RF project start up easier + making the use of RF component easier + providing easier integeration with IDE      and supporting tools.

- Adding new component like Google maps (I moved to PrimeFaces in some projects to be able to use Google maps component).

Note: RichFaces is my favorite JSF rich framework , but I think we should be more faster as some framework like PrimeFaces is growing very fast with more component and easier setup.

Regards

Samy

• 24. Re: Roadmap and Planning for RichFaces 4.2 and beyond
                          undermanager

Lukas - I started a new discussion/question re. resource management.  I will try to do similar for Eclipse set-up, also.

• 25. Re: Roadmap and Planning for RichFaces 4.2 and beyond
                            undermanager

Lukas - I have also created a document - see the txt file attached to this discussion/question - covering what I learned about setting up Eclipse for RF4.  The main sticking point was getting Maven configuration/integration set up correctly - but I answered my own questions, in the end.

• 26. Re: Roadmap and Planning for RichFaces 4.2 and beyond
                              bleathem

Thanks everyone for your feedback.  your insight and perspective is valuable as we put together our plan for future Richfaces releases.

We are currently hard at work on a RichFaces 4.2 release, that will be delviered shortly, hot on the heels of the recent 4.1 release.  In this release we are adding the contextMenu, and hotkey components, as well as resolving some issues present in the 4.1 release.

To keep the conversation moving forward, I'm starting a new thread to discuss specifically the idea of the new component set, we'll summarize the results of that discussion here.  In the mean time, let's continue to tack any further thoughts/goals for future releases.

• 27. Re: Roadmap and Planning for RichFaces 4.2 and beyond
                                kwutzke

How is determined which components are RF-3 ported next? Are there any plans for some kind of voting system to track the preference? I still need layouting and gmap to go to RF 4 with some of my apps.

Thanks

Karsten

• 28. Re: Roadmap and Planning for RichFaces 4.2 and beyond
                                  blabno

Karsten, I think JIRA is best for voting from means we already have.

• 29. Re: Roadmap and Planning for RichFaces 4.2 and beyond
                                    lfryc

Yes, JIRA is a best place for voting on issues/feature requests.

If you can't find your favorite component there, just open a feature request.