5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 30, 2011 12:52 PM by vladcrc

Tell us your story about RHQ...

pilhuhn

We as RHQ team would like to know more about how you are using RHQ, which part

you like and especially what you don't like.

Topics could be (but are not limited to):

Have you written specific plugins (that you may even want to share)?

How does your environment look like?

How many admins are using RHQ? Is each on its own account?

Are you integrating alerts into systems like trouble ticket systems?

What are you missing from RHQ?

Are there areas of RHQ where you would like to help?

Please take the time to write a few lines, so that we can improve RHQ in the

right areas

Thanks

Heiko

• 1. Re: Tell us your story about RHQ...
          tman328

We are using RHQ version 3 and looking to upgrade to version 4

We have 85 servers and rhq agents running on 34 currently.

We monitor: JBoss5.0.1, Apache 2.2, IIS, currently and would like to add ms-sql, websphere, sharepoint

The number of servers will expand greatly focusing mostly on productions servers.

RHQ server runs on a virtual system, 4Gb mem and 2 CPUs.

Questions:

Best Practice for upgrading ?

How many systems can RHQ monitor ? - When do I need to cluster RHQ ?

Forcing rhq agents to find existing JBoss instances ? - found two but not the third which was recently installed

Also with experimenting with version 4 - found it very hard to get rid of the memory of a configuration

Finally got so frustrated - i changed the name and the ip addresses of the system

Looking forward to communicating with the rest of the RHQ community

Thanks

• 2. Re: Tell us your story about RHQ...
            mazz

> Also with experimenting with version 4 - found it very hard to get rid of the memory of a configuration

> Finally got so frustrated - i changed the name and the ip addresses of the system

Unsure what this is referring to .. "memory of a configuration". Are you referring to the RHQ Agent's configuration? What name/IP address did you change? Can you be more specific?

• 3. Re: Tell us your story about RHQ...
              tman328

I looked at the documentation on the --cleanconfig command, however, in the log file the rhq agent was complaining about being

previously registered with a different name and would not function.

I totally uninstalled postgres and rhq4 and cleaned the file structure but it was still remembering stuff about the previous registration -

Where is it storing this data ?

Essentially I would recommend a switch that really cleans any previous information at the agent and server level.

That would be very helpful during the prototyping phase.

Currently I have an agent that discovered two original instances of JBoss 5.0.1, however, I have not been able to get it to recognize

the new instance of jboss.

I have done an inventory at the server level and also exercised commands at the agent level

I am looking thru the community discussions to learn more

Thanks

• 4. Re: Tell us your story about RHQ...
                mazz

Re: where agent stores config and the "previously registered with a different name" thing, read:

http://rhq-project.org/display/JOPR2/RHQ+Agent+Installation#RHQAgentInstallation-AgentConfigurationStorage

and this:

http://rhq-project.org/display/JOPR2/Agent+Registration

In fact, I would read all of http://rhq-project.org/display/JOPR2/RHQ+Agent+Installation

And this might help too:

http://rhq-project.org/display/JOPR2/FAQ#FAQ-HowcanIseetheagentpersistedconfiguration%3F

along with reading the comments at the top of agent-configuration.xml also explain some things about setting agent config.

• 5. Re: Tell us your story about RHQ...
                  vladcrc

Hello,

We are using RHQ version 4.2 in our company and we think is a great tool. I have a couple of questions about it.

I found that there is a plugin for monitoring JBoss Transaction Service:

http://grepcode.com/snapshot/repository.jboss.org/nexus/content/repositories/releases/org.jboss.jbossts/jbossts-jopr-plugin/4.15.0.Final/

It was released in 26 April 2011 but is not included in RHQ v4.2. Do you think is not ready for production usage or... ?

I have another question about an issue using version 4.2, I hope is OK to post it here.

I try to import a resource of type "Process", just like in this demo:

http://www.rhq-project.org/display/JOPR2/Demo-ProcessMonitoring

but I get this error: "Failed to manually import resource", with this details:

java.lang.RuntimeException:[1322675874838] org.rhq.core.clientapi.agent.PluginContainerException:Failed to add resource with type [Process] and parent resource id [10061] -> org.rhq.core.util.exception.WrappedRemotingException:null -> org.rhq.core.util.exception.WrappedRemotingException:Discovery component invocation failed. -> org.rhq.core.util.exception.WrappedRemotingException:Failed to create process based on plugin config: Configuration[id=0]

Do you know what could that be from ?

Thank you and Best regards,

Vlad Craciunoiu