9 Replies Latest reply on Nov 11, 2011 10:03 AM by jesper.pedersen

Calling matchManagedConnections and getInvalidConnections

pjuza

Hello,

I generated resource adapter by code generator (1.5 JCA spec, no transactions, no datasource, outbound) and I'm not able to call generated matchManagedConnections() and manually added ValidatingManagedConnectionFactory.getInvalidConnections() methods for checking valid connections?

Thank you in advance,

PETER

• 1. Re: Calling matchManagedConnections and getInvalidConnections
          jesper.pedersen

The JCA container calls matchManagedConnections() in order to verify if a ManagedConnection can be reused - see http://docs.jboss.org/ironjacamar/userguide/1.1/en-US/html/samples.html#sample_helloworld_mcf. In most cases you would use the Subject and/or CRI to verify a match.

The ValidatingManagedConnectionFactory interface can be implemented in order to help the JCA container to clean up unneeded managed connections.

HTH

• 2. Re: Calling matchManagedConnections and getInvalidConnections
            pjuza

Thank you for your respond but I have a problem that these methods are not called by JCA container.

I implemented both of them for better connection reuse but these methods are never called and I don't know why?

PETER

• 3. Re: Calling matchManagedConnections and getInvalidConnections
              jesper.pedersen

Please, go through the HelloWorld example first.

• 4. Re: Calling matchManagedConnections and getInvalidConnections
                pjuza

I have already went through example several times, I will try it again - please, could you focus me where could be the problem?

PETER

• 5. Re: Calling matchManagedConnections and getInvalidConnections
                  jesper.pedersen

It could be a ton of different things - have you implemented ConnectionEventListener interaction correct, have you a correct pool setup, are the background validation parameters set, and so on.

• 6. Re: Calling matchManagedConnections and getInvalidConnections
                    pjuza

I generated RA skeleton with code generator (like follows) and I would expect that everything was corretly generated:

marti-pc:codegenerator pjuza$ sh ./codegenerator.sh

Profile version (1.6/1.5/1.0) [1.6]: 1.5

Type (O/Outbound/I/Inbound/B/Bidirectional) [O]:

Package name: com.cleverlance.smartclient.ra.httpclient

Transaction support (N/NoTransaction/L/LocalTransaction/X/XATransaction) [N]:

Support reauthentication (Y/Yes/N/No) [N]:

Include a ResourceAdapter (Y/Yes/N/No) [Y]:

Resource adapter class name [AcmeResourceAdapter]: HttpClientResourceAdapterImpl

Resource adapter config properties [enter to quit]:

Name:

Managed connection factory class name [AcmeManagedConnectionFactory]: HttpClientResourceAdapterImpl

Managed connection factory config properties [enter to quit]:

Name:

Use ResourceAdapterAssociation (Y/Yes/N/No) [Y]:

Managed connection class name [AcmeManagedConnection]: HttpClientManagedConnectionImpl

Use CCI (Y/Yes/N/No) [N]:

Connection factory interface class name [AcmeConnectionFactory]: HttpClientRaConnectionFactory

Connection factory implementation class name [AcmeConnectionFactoryImpl]: HttpClientRaConnectionFactoryImpl

Connection interface class name [AcmeConnection]: ManagedClientConnection

Connection implementation class name [AcmeConnectionImpl]: ManagedClientConnectionImpl

Add methods to connection interface (Y/Yes/N/No) [N]:

Additional managed connection factory (Y/Yes/N/No) [N]:

Include an admin object (Y/Yes/N/No) [N]:

Generate a MBean class (Y/Yes/N/No) [Y]:

Build environment [A/Ant/I/Ant+Ivy/M/Maven] [A]: M

Code generated

I have been trying to change settings in ironjacamar.xml but without positive results. I doubt if matching connection is possible for non-datasource connections? And if it's true then it is specific for ironjacamar only or is it general JCA contract?

• 7. Re: Calling matchManagedConnections and getInvalidConnections
                      pjuza

I will reply to myself - I read JCA specification and I found:

"Connection Matching Contract

The application server invokes the ManagedConnectionFactory.matchManagedConnections method (implemented by a resource adapter) to find a matching ManagedConnection for servicing a connection request. The application server passes a candidate set of ManagedConnection instances to the matchManagedConnections method.

The application server should use the connection matching contract for ManagedConnection instances that have no existing connection handles. A candidate set passed to the matchManagedConnections method should not have any ManagedConnection instances with existing connection handles."

Now ManagedConnectionFactory.matchManagedConnections is called.

• 8. Re: Calling matchManagedConnections and getInvalidConnections
                        pjuza

I found the following about ResourceAdapterAssociation.getInvalidConnections:

"This optional functionality may be used by the application server to prune invalid ManagedConnection objects from its connection pool periodically."

Is this interface/functionality supported by IronJacamar?

• 9. Re: Calling matchManagedConnections and getInvalidConnections
                          jesper.pedersen

Yes, enable background validation and set the frequency.