8 Replies Latest reply on Apr 26, 2012 4:13 AM by thomas.diesler

Problems with Spring resource loading in an OSGi bundle

tpesce

I have a large Spring application that I am trying to convert to a single OSGi bundle for deployment into JBoss (AS 7.0.2). Initially I am trying to minimize code changes and deploy the application as-is, but I am running into issues with Spring resource loading. I've created a relatively simple application as a reproducer. The application is an OSGi bundle with a few simple Spring beans using ClassPathXmlApplicationContext. I am building the bundle with maven-bundle-plugin and embeding transitive dependencies including Spring 3.0.6 JARs.

When I use a simple configuration location such as "classpath:spring/applicationContext.xml" everything works fine. However, the real application has several different locations using combinations of "classpath*:" and location patterns such as "classpath:spring/*Context.xml". These locations with patterns are causing problems.

Despite Spring's support for VFS it is not being used in these cases. Within the OSGi context Spring is getting resource URLs with a "bundle:" protocol and doesn't know what to do with them. So it falls back to assuming they are files, and the resource loading fails:

{code}22:05:18,264 WARN  [org.springframework.core.io.support.PathMatchingResourcePatternResolver] (MSC service thread 1-4) Cannot search for matching files underneath class path resource [spring/] because it does not correspond to a directory in the file system: java.io.FileNotFoundException: class path resource [spring/] cannot be resolved to absolute file path because it does not reside in the file system: bundle://com.tendril.test.spring.osgi-23-0-0/spring/{code}

After some research I found Snowdrop and am hoping it can help. I am embedding snowdrop-vfs 2.0.0.Final in my bundle, I have switched to using VFSClassPathXmlApplicationContext, and I have configured OSGi to use these VFS modules:

{code}<module identifier="org.jboss.vfs"/>

<module identifier="org.jboss.osgi.vfs" startlevel="1"/>{code}

However, using a location with patterns such as "classpath:spring/*Context.xml" does not seem to work; none of my beans are found:

{code}22:19:35,672 INFO  [org.springframework.beans.factory.support.DefaultListableBeanFactory] (MSC service thread 1-1) Pre-instantiating singletons in org.springframework.beans.factory.support.DefaultListableBeanFactory@8a70e3a: defining beans []; root of factory hierarchy{code}

Interestingly, using a patternless location that works with ClassPathXmlApplicationContext (classpath:spring/applicationContext.xml) does not work with VFSClassPathXmlApplicationContext:

{code}Caused by: java.io.FileNotFoundException: /spring/applicationContext.xml (No such file or directory)

at java.io.FileInputStream.open(Native Method) [:1.6.0_26]

at java.io.FileInputStream.<init>(FileInputStream.java:120) [:1.6.0_26]

at org.jboss.vfs.spi.RootFileSystem.openInputStream(RootFileSystem.java:55)

at org.jboss.vfs.VirtualFile.openStream(VirtualFile.java:238) [jboss-vfs-3.0.1.GA.jar:3.0.1.GA]{code}

My simple reproducer project is attached.