3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 12, 2011 3:52 AM by stfndln

Topic creation

stfndln

hey,

i'm facing an issue on jboss server 4.2.

Through a java application we create a topic session on which we place a subscription.

Now each message that is put on that normally takes a short amount of time less then 1 second.

But after some time the creation of these subscriber goes up to a much as 141 seconds.

How is this possible that it takes so long to subscribe on a topic?

many thanx

ps: 'm not a jboss expert so please go kind on me

• 1. Re: Topic creation
          wdfink

Hi Stefaan,

it can be many reasons ...

most issue is the GC (garbage collection) of the JVM which stops all threads to cleanup the heap.

This might be a missconfiguration. You might enable the GC logging (see http://java.sun.com/javase/technologies/hotspot/gc/gc_tuning_6.html) and check this first.

• 2. Re: Topic creation
            stfndln

hey Wolf-Dieter,

Thanks for pointing me in a direction.

I must say in most cases we do no experience any issues. Only when more messages have to be processed and be placed on the topic then this timing issue occurs.

Our code is pretty straight forward:

connection = connectionFactory.createTopicConnection();

session = connection.createTopicSession(false, Session.AUTO_ACKNOWLEDGE);

logger.info("Creating and sending the message...");

TextMessage message = session.createTextMessage(messageText);

TopicPublisher publisher = session.createPublisher(topic);

publisher.publish(message);

I will look into the GC logging and see what comes out and get back to you.

thnx

Stefaan

• 3. Re: Topic creation
              stfndln

I found the error,

We use a mysql database in de background for our default jboss tables.

The tables JMS_MESSAGES and JMS_TRANSACTIONS are important for the creation of topic.

It seemed that these tables were screwed up. The tablespace was enormous for the 2 above tables as wel the indexspace. What caused long times for creations of topics.

After correcting the tablespaces and indexspaces, the issue was solved.

After some investigating these issues appearently can occure frequently with a mysql database.

In case other people incounter the same kind of issues.