8 Replies Latest reply on Oct 14, 2011 4:13 AM by koen.aers

Forge is not running...

aamonten

Hi, I installed latest forge plugin from http://download.jboss.org/jbosstools/updates/development/indigo/ when trying to run the forge console by pressing the play button, forge is not able to start. I get the message "Forge is not running..."

My environment is:

Windows XP

Eclipse Java EE IDE for Web Developers.

Version: Indigo Release

Build id: 20110615-0604

I previously had installed m2eclipse from Eclipse and only installed Forge Tools from the update site.

Any advice welcome,

thanks

Alejandro

• 1. Re: Forge is not running...
          koen.aers

Hi Alejandro,

I'm going to look at your problem rightaway. Are you working with the nighty build of the Forge plugin or one of the milestone builds?

Cheers,

Koen

Update: Allright, too quickly... In the meantime I saw that you are using the 3.3.0.M3 build ;-)

• 2. Re: Forge is not running...
            koen.aers

So I have tried to reproduce this without success on my Windows machine.

- Windows 7 (unfortunately I don't have Windows XP)

- Java Hotspot (TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 20.2-b06, mixed mode)

- Eclipse Java EE IDE for Web Developers, Version: Indigo Release, Build id: 20110615-0604

- Maven Integration for Eclipse (m2e) : Version 1.0.100.20110804-1717

- Forge Tools : Version 1.0.0.v20110915-1403-H14-M3

This combination starts Forge up without any issues. Can you verify what the specific version is of your Forge Tools plugins?

Cheers,

Koen

• 3. Re: Forge is not running...
              aamonten

Hi Koen,

Thanks for your quick response,

my jvm is:

java version "1.6.0_27"

Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_27-b07)

Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 20.2-b06, mixed mode, sharing)

and the forge tools version is:

1.0.0.v20110915-1403-H14-M3

I will give the nightly build a try ...

• 4. Re: Forge is not running...
                aamonten

So I downloaded latest nighly build from http://download.jboss.org/jbosstools/builds/nightly/trunk/latest/components/ but when checking the version of the plugin i see 1.0.0.v20110829-0214-H244-M3. Which seem older than the one in the latest milestone :S

So I'm a bit confused, can any indicate if just the date is wrong or am I downloading from the wrong site.

thanks

Alejandro

• 5. Re: Forge is not running...
                  koen.aers

In the meantime, I took the time to install Windows XP and I am seeing your problem. Apparently the launch immediately terminates for some reason that I have not yet been able to track down. So I don't have any clue (yet) how to solve this.

To get Forge to work from the command prompt I also had to apply a service pack though. This was a JLine issue because JLine apparently uses some dll that is not installed in XP by default. I am suspecting the problem we are seeing is also due to something similar.

Regards,

Koen

• 6. Re: Forge is not running...
                    koen.aers

Alejandro,

I have tracked down the problem and it seems it is caused by spaces in the modulepath when Forge is started. I have created https://issues.jboss.org/browse/JBIDE-9882 and will try to solve it by the end of the week.

Cheers,

Koen

• 7. Re: Forge is not running...
                      aamonten

Hi Koen, thanks for your update I will give the fix commented in the issue a try and let you know!

• 8. Re: Forge is not running...
                        koen.aers

Hi Alejandro,

Good news! I have solved the problem and the current nightly contains the fix and should work. Let me know if you would still see the problem.

Btw, I was awed by the sheer speed of Forge on XP... ;-)

Cheers,

Koen