9 Replies Latest reply on Oct 27, 2011 7:55 AM by bosschaert

how to troubleshoot errors while deploying a bundle

spandit2

Hello Folks ;

I am new to JBoss AS 7 and JBoss OSGI . I am trying to deploy a bundle on the application server and it is failing . I was wondering how I can diagnose these issues .

The bundle is the Greeter_Rest from CXF DOSGI samples . I was able to deploy Greeter and single bundle cxf successfully .

Any insights on this issue are greatly appreciated.

Sunil

• 1. Re: how to troubleshoot errors while deploying a bundle
          thomas.diesler

Have a look at standalone.xml and enable DEBUG logging to file. Then post the stack trace here.

• 2. Re: how to troubleshoot errors while deploying a bundle
            spandit2

Thanks Thomas for your quick response . Here is the portion of log

09:54:02,158 INFO  [org.jboss.as.server.deployment] (MSC service thread 1-2) Starting deployment of "cxf-dosgi-ri-samples-greeter-rest-interface-1.3-SNAPSHOT.jar"

09:54:02,174 DEBUG [org.jboss.as.server.deployment.module] (MSC service thread 1-7) Found Extension-Name manifest entry null in /C:/jboss-as-web-7.0.2.Final/bin/content/cxf-dosgi-ri-samples-greeter-rest-interface-1.3-SNAPSHOT.jar

09:54:02,174 INFO  [org.jboss.as.jpa] (MSC service thread 1-7) added javax.persistence.api dependency to cxf-dosgi-ri-samples-greeter-rest-interface-1.3-SNAPSHOT.jar

09:54:02,174 ERROR [org.jboss.msc.service.fail] (MSC service thread 1-6) MSC00001: Failed to start service jboss.deployment.unit."cxf-dosgi-ri-samples-greeter-rest-interface-1.3-SNAPSHOT.jar".POST_MODULE: org.jboss.msc.service.StartException in service jboss.deployment.unit."cxf-dosgi-ri-samples-greeter-rest-interface-1.3-SNAPSHOT.jar".POST_MODULE: Failed to process phase POST_MODULE of deployment "cxf-dosgi-ri-samples-greeter-rest-interface-1.3-SNAPSHOT.jar"

at org.jboss.as.server.deployment.DeploymentUnitPhaseService.start(DeploymentUnitPhaseService.java:121) [jboss-as-server-7.0.2.Final.jar:7.0.2.Final]

at org.jboss.msc.service.ServiceControllerImpl$StartTask.startService(ServiceControllerImpl.java:1824) [jboss-msc-1.0.1.GA.jar:1.0.1.GA]

at org.jboss.msc.service.ServiceControllerImpl$StartTask.run(ServiceControllerImpl.java:1759) [jboss-msc-1.0.1.GA.jar:1.0.1.GA]

at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.runTask(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:886) [:1.6.0_27]

at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:908) [:1.6.0_27]

at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:662) [:1.6.0_27]

Caused by: java.lang.NullPointerException

at org.jboss.as.jaxrs.deployment.JaxrsScanningProcessor.deploy(JaxrsScanningProcessor.java:100)

at org.jboss.as.server.deployment.DeploymentUnitPhaseService.start(DeploymentUnitPhaseService.java:115) [jboss-as-server-7.0.2.Final.jar:7.0.2.Final]

... 5 more

09:54:02,189 INFO  [org.jboss.as.server.controller] (DeploymentScanner-threads - 2) Deployment of "cxf-dosgi-ri-samples-greeter-rest-interface-1.3-SNAPSHOT.jar" was rolled back with failure message {"Failed services" => {"jboss.deployment.unit.\"cxf-dosgi-ri-samples-greeter-rest-interface-1.3-SNAPSHOT.jar\".POST_MODULE" => "org.jboss.msc.service.StartException in service jboss.deployment.unit.\"cxf-dosgi-ri-samples-greeter-rest-interface-1.3-SNAPSHOT.jar\".POST_MODULE: Failed to process phase POST_MODULE of deployment \"cxf-dosgi-ri-samples-greeter-rest-interface-1.3-SNAPSHOT.jar\""}}

09:54:02,189 INFO  [org.jboss.as.server.deployment] (MSC service thread 1-1) Stopped deployment cxf-dosgi-ri-samples-greeter-rest-interface-1.3-SNAPSHOT.jar in 7ms

Sunil

• 3. Re: how to troubleshoot errors while deploying a bundle
              spandit2

I think this bundle deployment must be failing due to unavailability of javax.ws.rs bundle which is imported package in this bundle . I am also deploying

cxf-dosgi-ri-singlebundle-distribution-1.3-SNAPSHOT prior to deploying this bundle .

The Singlebundle is deploying fine and is also started but I do not see any trace in the log about the javax.ws.rs package which is exported from the

cxf-dosgi-ri-singlebundle-distribution-1.3-SNAPSHOT .

Am I doing anything crazy here? My understanding is Jboss OSGI does not provide implementation of  distributed services and I can deploy something like CXF DOSGI to support remore services.

I am using the Web profile of the application server , which I believe supports Javax.ws.rs .

This is very critical for my project . I would appreciate any insights in resolving this issue.

Thanks

Sunil

• 4. Re: how to troubleshoot errors while deploying a bundle
                spandit2

I could resolve this issue by removing Jboss JaxRS entries in the server configuration . After that the bundle was able to wire with the jaxrs packages from CXF.

Thanks

Sunil

• 5. Re: how to troubleshoot errors while deploying a bundle
                  bosschaert

Thanks Sunil. I have linked this discussion to https://issues.jboss.org/browse/JBOSGI-322

• 6. Re: how to troubleshoot errors while deploying a bundle
                    thomas.diesler

David, in what state is the remote services impl that you reference in JBOSGI-322? As it is now there will be no progeress related to this thread.

• 7. Re: how to troubleshoot errors while deploying a bundle
                      bosschaert

The task referred to in JBOSGi-322 is not in the immediate plans. However there are people, like Sunil, who have successully been able to use CXF-DOSGi with JBoss OSGi. If someone decides to take on JBOSGi-322 in the future the information provided by Sunil will be useful.

• 8. Re: how to troubleshoot errors while deploying a bundle
                        thomas.diesler

ok, I reopened the jira for community pickup.

• 9. Re: how to troubleshoot errors while deploying a bundle
                          bosschaert

I wrote a description how to deploy CXF-DOSGi in AS7: Deploying CXF-DOSGi to JBoss AS7