8 Replies Latest reply on Nov 22, 2011 7:22 PM by samwun9988

JBOSS AS 7 and ESB

mka

Hello good people,

does anyone have any idea how one would deploy an ESB app to JBOSS AS 7? Another way to ask this is if AS 7 is ready for ESB integration like JBOSS 5.1 is?

Thanks for any responses.

• 1. Re: JBOSS AS 7 and ESB
          beve

Hi,

to deploy a ESB app to AS7 requires there to be an extension that would take care of the deployment of .esb archives. There is no such extension at the moment and I'm not aware of any plans on providing this.

The latest version of AS that JBossESB has been tested with is AS 6.0.0.Final.

Regards,

/Daniel

• 2. Re: JBOSS AS 7 and ESB
            ryanhos

Daniel,

Would you mind disambiguating your statement, please?

"...and I'm not aware of any plans on providing this"

• We have not yet created plans to provide this
            • I do not believe that we will create plans to provide this

Your answer is important to me because I'm at a crossroads in my project.  I need to determine if we should continue building the ESB into our application.  Also, I have cleared away some personal responsibilities, which has opened up some time for me to attempt to implement some more of the EIP in JBESB.  I certainly don't want to give my time to a project that has already been removed from Red Hat's future strategy.

Thanks,

Ryan Hochstetler

• 3. Re: JBOSS AS 7 and ESB
              mka

Hi Daniel,

I'd have to back up Ryan's request above and ask that we have an idea of what the plan's are in terms of ESB support in this new version of AS. I have an application that has several ESB modules but may decide to not migrate any of it if there is no direct support for ESB in AS. I will instead have to start considering deploying in the standalone ESB server, something that is not favored at the moment.

thanks.

• 4. Re: JBOSS AS 7 and ESB
                beve

Sorry, I really just meant that I've not seen any jiras for such a task.

I certainly don't want to give my time to a project that has already been removed from Red Hat's future strategy.

Someone from Red Hat would have to answer your question about future strategies as I don't have such information.

Regards,

/Daniel

• 5. Re: JBOSS AS 7 and ESB
                  kcbabo

Hey Ryan,

There are no plans at the moment to do this, AFAIK.  That said, this is an open source community, so just because there's not a current plan does not mean that a motivated community member can't have a go at it.  I'm not sure if you've been following what we've been doing in SwitchYard, but we do have AS7 support in that project.  If you haven't heard of SwitchYard, it's a new JBoss.org project we've created to contain work around the next major version of JBoss ESB.  Please have a look if you have some time and we'd love to hear your feedback.  There was a talk at JBoss World this year which gave some background/status on the project and there's also some dicussion that talks about it's relationship to JBoss ESB.  I have some additional presentations that we recently put together for a workshop that I'll post to the site very soon.  Just to be clear, JBoss ESB is still very much active in terms of release activity, so participation is welcome in both projects. 

cheers,

keith

Ryan Hochstetler wrote:

Daniel,

Your answer is important to me because I'm at a crossroads in my project.  I need to determine if we should continue building the ESB into our application.  Also, I have cleared away some personal responsibilities, which has opened up some time for me to attempt to implement some more of the EIP in JBESB.  I certainly don't want to give my time to a project that has already been removed from Red Hat's future strategy.

Thanks,

Ryan Hochstetler

• 6. Re: JBOSS AS 7 and ESB
                    kcbabo

JBoss ESB is supported as part of our enterprise middleware offerings in SOA Platform, which is based on EAP (i.e. JBoss AS) 5.  If you plan to use the ESB in production, I certainly recommend going with the fully supported option in SOA-P.

BTW, Tom just added support for AS6 in the latest release of ESB.   With respect to, JBoss AS7, I hope my answer to Ryan above provides some insight there.

cheers,

keith

mka wrote:

Hi Daniel,

I'd have to back up Ryan's request above and ask that we have an idea of what the plan's are in terms of ESB support in this new version of AS. I have an application that has several ESB modules but may decide to not migrate any of it if there is no direct support for ESB in AS. I will instead have to start considering deploying in the standalone ESB server, something that is not favored at the moment.

thanks.

• 7. Re: JBOSS AS 7 and ESB
                      ryanhos

Keith,

Thanks for the nice explanation.  I'll have a look at SwitchYard. 

As for SOA-P:  I'd love, LOVE, to convince my customer to purchase EAP/SOA-P for the 288 test and production cores.  But my customer seems to have this odd idea that your software is "free."

I'm working on that...

• 8. Re: JBOSS AS 7 and ESB
                        samwun9988

Is possible deploy your ESB app to JBOSS 6.0 final and then have your other web applications running in JBOSS 7?

I would think this is an "work around" for the time being.

Sam