7 Replies Latest reply on Sep 7, 2011 1:56 AM by maxandersen

Can't follow AS7/JBoss Tools video example

starksm64

I'm following Max's "JBoss Tools & JBoss AS 7" video from here:

http://vimeo.com/25768303

and I'm using the quickstart examples with jboss-as-web-7.0.1.Final.

The problem I'm seeing is that dragging an application project onto the server tab as shown in the video, nothing is deployed. If I mark the project as deployable, it is putting the source tree into the server deployments directory as a deployment, which obviously is not working.

What do I need to configure in the project to make it's artifact deployable?

• 1. Re: Can't follow AS7/JBoss Tools video example
          starksm64

I can get the artifacts to deploy if I build them, and then mark the resulting target/artifact as deployable. I'm just not able to drag the artifact or the project into the server as the trigger for deployment.

• 2. Re: Can't follow AS7/JBoss Tools video example
            rob.stryker

The "Mark as deployable" feature was intended to be used originally just to deploy an xml file or static file directly with no change. After a while, users said they wanted the freedom to mark a folder as deployable too. The folder or file (resource) is not intended to be modified or manipulated at all by the deployment process, with absolutely no brains to it at all.

To do something slightly smarter, you'd probably want to open up the "Project Archives" view and make what amounts to a zip-configuration for the project, to declare how to properly zip it up. Project archives will then make sure after every change to a file that is represented by your zip-config's filesets, the output jar is updated. Then you can simply mark that output jar as "deployable" and have that deployed to the server.

Any improvements you can think of to the workflow are much appreciated, but the "mark as deployable" is meant to be as dumb as rocks for the specific use case of a project already in the proper layout to simply be copied over to the server.

• 3. Re: Can't follow AS7/JBoss Tools video example
              maxandersen

Rob - see the video - we are talking about WTP projects not project archives. Project archives is the *last* resort to use and only relevant if you have some custom non-eclipse WTP project layout you want to publish.

Scott - if you can't drag and drop the project your project is for some reason not an Eclipse WTP project.

If you are using the AS7 quickstarts make sure you've installed the JBoss Tools Maven Integration and eclipse should be able to set this all up automatically if you use File > Import > Existing Maven projects.

So, which project are you using ? And did you install Jboss Tools ?

• 4. Re: Can't follow AS7/JBoss Tools video example
                starksm64

I have the jboss tools installed into the indigo version of eclipse, and when I installed the jboss tools from the update site, I said install everything.

Now I create the project by importing the as7-quickstarts using the m2e maven plugin, so maybe that is a problem. The .project file looks like:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<projectDescription>

<name>jboss-as-quickstarts-parent</name>

<comment></comment>

<projects>

</projects>

<buildSpec>

<buildCommand>

<name>org.eclipse.m2e.core.maven2Builder</name>

<arguments>

</arguments>

</buildCommand>

</buildSpec>

<natures>

<nature>org.eclipse.m2e.core.maven2Nature</nature>

</natures>

</projectDescription>

How would I import the quickstarts as a WTP project?

Note that I did just go look at the jboss tools update site and see that the "All JBoss Tools 3.3" item does not include the maven support, so I'll install that and try creating a new project.

• 5. Re: Can't follow AS7/JBoss Tools video example
                  maxandersen

Yes, I really wish I could find a better word than "All" that starts with A to have it show up in the top ;(

anyway, don't create a *new* project - just Import the quickstarts file File > Import > Existing Maven Projects.

If you want to create a *new* project, use File > New > Dynamic Web Project and choose your AS7 server runtime - that will give you a deployable War project.

• 6. Re: Can't follow AS7/JBoss Tools video example
                    starksm64

Once I installed the jboss tools maven support, I was able to import the project and have it work as shown.

Thanks

• 7. Re: Can't follow AS7/JBoss Tools video example
                      maxandersen

Thanks for sticking through and sorry about the confusion