5 Replies Latest reply on Feb 11, 2013 8:06 AM by rodmarcm

Select box ideas and discussion

bleathem

This page has some great idea/discussion about single/multi slect design and behaviour:

http://harvesthq.github.com/chosen/

I particulalry like the multi-select implementation, the way selected items appear as a list of boxes within the select item itself.  With the base-level multi-select support I am adding to Richfaces 4 for pickList/listShuttle, it should be fairly simple to add another multi-select component such as this one.

Also, the discussion re: filtering the select list - or narrowing down you type - is also in one of the examples ("Selected and Disabled Support").  It will be interesting to disect this behaviour, and compare it to the recent behaviour discussion of our own filtering of the select list.

What do you guys think?  Anything else interesting to be gleamed from this project?

• 1. Re: Select box ideas and discussion
          nbelaevski

Hi Brian,

Looks good. But what about IE7 support?

• 2. Re: Select box ideas and discussion
            bleathem

I'm not proposing we use this code directly, but just consider some fo the ideas and usage patterns.  Any code we write would have to support ie7 (AFAIK).

• 3. Re: Select box ideas and discussion
              lfryc

Hi Brian,

this looks very promising and exactly what I would like to see, some notes:

Chosen's Standard Select looks very similar to rich:select with manual input.

While Multiple select looks similar to rich:autocomplete.

Difference is in the styling of particular choices.

Selected feature may be very interesting - don't show any options that were already selected.

<optgroup> still lacks feature to search across groups (only items are searched).

• 4. Re: Select box ideas and discussion
                angrymb

Brian Leathem wrote:

I'm not proposing we use this code directly, but just consider some fo the ideas and usage patterns.  Any code we write would have to support ie7 (AFAIK).

Brian, could you please share your experiance of integration with this js-component?

How did you do it?

• 5. Re: Select box ideas and discussion
                  rodmarcm

I think it will be a great idea!

If you do that it will be insteresting to write a little tutorial so new people can view how to integrate new components in RichFaces. Specially If you're planning to rewrite the code.

Regards,