1 2 3 Previous Next 36 Replies Latest reply on Oct 4, 2012 2:24 PM by zenzei2k

JBoss 6 + Snowdrop2 + Red5

bmsantos

Greetings!

I'm trying to make Red5 (1.0 RC1) Spring WAR run under JBoss 6 AS. For that I'm using the latest Snowdrop2 Spring Deployer (2.0.0-M1-SP1).

One of the errors that I got was that ther org.jboss.virtual.VFS file was not found in the classpath. JBoss 6 AS includes the jboss-vfs.jar that includes the or.jboss.vfs.VFS class in it. Is there a work around for this issue?

Thanks

• 1. JBoss 6 + Snowdrop2 + Red5
          marius.bogoevici

Hi Bruno,

This is a bit odd, Snowdrop 2 should have no issues with JBoss AS 6 - there is a change in package names between JBoss 5 and JBoss 6, but Snowdrop 2 is aware of it (and using VFS3).

Are you sure that you use this dependencies?

<dependency>

<groupId>org.jboss.snowdrop</groupId>

<artifactId>snowdrop-deployers</artifactId>

<version>2.0.0-M1</version>

</dependency>

<dependency>

<groupId>org.jboss.snowdrop</groupId>

<artifactId>snowdrop-vfs</artifactId>

<version>2.0.0-M1</version>

</dependency>

However, I am under the impression that you are affected by https://jira.springsource.org/browse/SPR-7197. If you use Spring 3.0.3 or later, you may be running your WAR with Spring only (no Snowdrop).

• 2. JBoss 6 + Snowdrop2 + Red5
            bmsantos

Marius,

Thanks for the information. After many trials and some Red5 debugging I was finally able to get Red5 working under JBoss AS 6. When ready, I'll put a short howto on how to get Red5 working under JBoss.

Best regards,

• 3. Re: JBoss 6 + Snowdrop2 + Red5
              minimike

Hello Bruno

I'm also interested to run Red5 under Jboss. Do you have written a howto or would you share your code?

cheers

Darko

• 4. Re: JBoss 6 + Snowdrop2 + Red5
                bmsantos

Darko,

I'll be more then glad to send you what I have. Do you have a place where I can drop my ear? FYI, I did not had much time to play with it, but the AMF channels and RTMP should be working just fine. The issue that I had when I last played with it, was that I was not being able to have jboss to successfully deploy the AMFGatewayServlet and the RTMPTServlet, preventing AMF and RTMP to be transported through HTTP.

Anyway, I'll be more than glad to pass you what I have achieved so far, but like I said, due to recent workload I was never able to return to it. If you make any progress let me know.

Later,

Bruno

P.S. I've only deployed it under JBoss AS 6

• 5. Re: JBoss 6 + Snowdrop2 + Red5
                  bmsantos

Darko, you are in good luck!

I just got Red5 running in JBoss AS 7 with AMF, RTMP, HTTP AMF and HTTP AMF3 (check the echo test once you put your hands on the ear). Unfortunatly I still do not have a document describing it. Didn't have the time to test all the examples though.

Cheers,

Bruno

• 6. Re: JBoss 6 + Snowdrop2 + Red5
                    skroll

Bruno, I would be extremely greatful if you could post your configuration. I don't really need a whole document, but I'm really having a hard time getting everything working due to the dependencies and the way red5 is deployed.

Did you make modifications to the red5 war file? If so, would it be possible if you shared that?

• 7. Re: JBoss 6 + Snowdrop2 + Red5
                      minimike

Hello Bruno

please check PM

cheers

Darko

• 8. Re: JBoss 6 + Snowdrop2 + Red5
                        marius.bogoevici

Just as a note, if you are interested in running on AS7, you may want to take a look at :http://community.jboss.org/blogs/mariusb/2011/07/13/spring-and-jboss-as7-part-1-getting-started.

This covers the very basics for now, and if course, more complex applications may have their own specific issues, so Red5 may have its own special settings. If you can post an article in the Articles  documenting what you did, it would be great!

Thanks,

Marius

• 9. Re: JBoss 6 + Snowdrop2 + Red5
                          bmsantos

Marius,

Thanks for the information. I'll post the info as an article as soon as I have it.

Cheers,

Bruno

• 10. Re: JBoss 6 + Snowdrop2 + Red5
                            bmsantos

For those wanting to start immediately, you can at least download the ear that I've been able to put together so far and that is available from my blog here:

http://riaconnection.wordpress.com/2011/07/15/jboss-as-7-and-red5-media-server/

During the last weekend I was able to add the OFLA Demo, the most interesting of them all so far.

Like many of you, the amount of time that I have to dedicate to this is quite small and if any of you could have a look in it, improve it or simplify it would be great. I'm not that good with Spring. Ultimatly we will post an artcle in the Articles section of JBoss.org and provide an example ear to the Red5 team hopping that they will include a ear builder task in they build system. Hopefully, more JBossians will addopt it!

• 11. Re: JBoss 6 + Snowdrop2 + Red5
                              marius.bogoevici

Thanks! This is very nice!

Did you need to make any specific changes to the application in order to get it working?

Marius

• 12. Re: JBoss 6 + Snowdrop2 + Red5
                                bmsantos

Marius,

No code changes but quite a few Spring configuration changes and source code repackaging into a j2ee friendly way (otherwise it would not work).

Basically, all you do is to get the Spring wars from Red5, explode them into the ear. Get all the classes under the WEB-INF/classes into a jar and place it in the red5.ear/lib dir. Then there are some Spring configuration changes (would like to find an easier way to do it).

Besides this, the other main issue was that Red5 does not pack everything neatly organized. I had to check out the src code and look into the missing parts in the red5.war. Once that was working, all it seems to need is to get the rest of the examples from the "Install" app (downloads are placed into the red5.war) and do exactly the same process that I briefly described in above (explode war, reconfigure Spring files, etc).

A good way for you to find the differences is for you to use the "install web app" (run server, go to Red5 page and select "install" link) to actually download the original oflaDemo.war file. Then you can compare it with the way I've packaged it in the ear.

I'll explain it in more detail in an Article as soon as I have some more time for it.

Cheers,

Bruno

• 13. Re: JBoss 6 + Snowdrop2 + Red5
                                  skroll

It looks like I can get the oflaDemo to work sometimes, and other times I can not.

Also a few notes: In the oflaDemo.war/WEB-INF/classes directory, ofldaDemo-web.xml needed to be renamed to oflaDemo-web.xml in order for it to work. However, if I shut the server down and start it up again, it seems like it cannot load the /streams context in the service and the oflaDemo stops working.

Does this happen because of the order the wars in the ear are being deployed?

• 14. Re: JBoss 6 + Snowdrop2 + Red5
                                    bmsantos

Scott,

Yes, I've noticed that to. Not sure why yet. Not having any other war deployed other then Red5 and oflaDemo would make way more stable. Also, if you previously deployed the echo.war then you might want to run the server, deploy the ear and while deployed rename the red5.deployed to red5.remove to force JBoss to clean the deployment directory. Then, redeploy it again by renaming the file to red5.dodeploy (make sure that only the red5 and oflaDemo wars are deployed).

Cheers,

B.

1 2 3 Previous Next