3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 30, 2011 9:35 AM by dan.berindei

Hotrod-Client and locking

infinikli

I've noticed that calling getAdvancedCache() in RemoteCacheManager results into an UnsupportedOperationException which means that locking a CacheEntry is impossible when using the HotRod-Client-Serverarchitecture. Is there any other way to enable locking, e.g. with VersioningAPI?

We need to perform the following operations atomicly:

- lock a key / entry

- obtain data from the cache

- e.g. modify existing entry / create new entry / do some lightweight business-operations

- release lock

Thanks for your help!

Side note: The reason why we need to switch to HotRod is that we must ensure the size of the available heap of our business-logic. We can't do this when running Cache and business-logic within the same JVM as mentioned in http://community.jboss.org/thread/165951?tstart=0 (https://issues.jboss.org/browse/ISPN-863) as the size of our cache-entries varies. (Please correct me if I'm wrong)

• 1. Re: Hotrod-Client and locking
          mircea.markus

Remote transactions over hotrod won't be supported untill 5.1 (ISPN-375 and in particular for your use case ISPN-848)

Versioned API seems like a good fit for your scenario: if the version has been modified in between your read and write you'll get an exception.

• 2. Re: Hotrod-Client and locking
            infinikli

Thanks for the answer, but how do I put a not yet existent value with version into cache?

E.g. two RemoteCacheManager-instances invoke parallel RemoteCache.getVersioned on a not-yet-existent-value. Both clients will receive null for the given key. I can not use RemoteCache.replaceWithVersion because no such value exists, so I have to use RemoteCache.put which means that one value will be overridden by the other. Is there a way to handle this issue?

I'd like to have a feature where I can put a value with an initial version (say 0) which succeeds only if no such value exists.

• 3. Re: Hotrod-Client and locking
              dan.berindei

The first time you can use remoteCache.putIfAbsent(key, value) (it's actually inherited from ConcurrentMap).

Unfortunately if that fails it returns a non-versioned value, if you want to retry you have to either use remoteCache.replace(key, oldValue, newValue), which calls equals() on the values, or do another remoteCache.getVersioned(key) so you can call replaceWithVersion. I suspect in most cases it would be better to use replace() and avoid the extra RPC.