2 Replies Latest reply on May 26, 2011 6:41 AM by paul_m

getRollbackOnly() behaving strangely with inheritance in JBoss 6

paul_m

The following issue shows up with jboss-6.0.0.Final but works as I'd expect with jboss-5.1.0.GA.  Also, although I've not tested this extensively, I've only been aware of this problem when using EJB3 annotations.

The EJB spec' seems pretty clear that EJBContext.getRollbackOnly() should throw java.lang.IllegalStateException if a bean's TransactionAttribute is 'NOT_SUPPORTED'.

I have a base class with a method that uses getRollbackOnly().  In this example hasTxn() simply uses getRollbackOnly() to determine whether the method is called in the context of a container-managed transaction:

{code}

import javax.annotation.Resource;

import javax.ejb.SessionContext;

public class TxnTestSSBBase

{

@Resource SessionContext ctx;

public boolean hasTxn()

{

try

{

ctx.getRollbackOnly();

return true;

}

catch (IllegalStateException e)

{

return false;

}

}

}

{code}

I then have an EJB (in this example a Stateless Session Bean) that extends the base class and implements a remote interface with the hasTxn() method.  Note that the bean's TransactionAttribute is NOT_SUPPORTED, and that the hasTxn() method in the sub-class (TxnTestSSB) is currently commented out so the super-class's implementation is called directly.

{code}

import javax.ejb.Stateless;

import javax.ejb.TransactionAttribute;

import javax.ejb.TransactionAttributeType;

import javax.ejb.TransactionManagement;

import javax.ejb.TransactionManagementType;

@TransactionManagement(TransactionManagementType.CONTAINER)

@TransactionAttribute(TransactionAttributeType.NOT_SUPPORTED)

@Stateless

public class TxnTestSSB extends TxnTestSSBBase implements TxnTestSSBRemote

{

/*

public boolean hasTxn()

{

return super.hasTxn();

}

*/

}

{code}

Deployed in JBoss 5.1 hasTxn() returns 'false' which is what I'd expect.  But if I deploy it in JBoss 6.0 hasTxn() returns 'true' - i.e. getRollbackOnly() completes without throwing an IllegalStateException in spite of the NOT_SUPPORTED TransactionAttribute.

Interestingly, if I implement hasTxn() in TxnTestSSB, even if the implementation simply calls the super class (i.e. uncomment the commented-out code shown above), it correctly returns 'false' in JBoss 6.0.

Am I missing something here?  Is this a known bug?  I've searched around a little, but maybe the underlying issue is broader than getRollbackOnly()/setRollbackOnly() and so I've missed it, not knowing quite what to search on?

Thanks for any help anyone can provide,

Paul.