9 Replies Latest reply on Jun 8, 2011 10:02 AM by dward

Git Workflow Update

kcbabo

The JBoss community team has added a new workflow step to the SwitchYard JIRA to provide a notification that a pull request has been created for an issue.  Up until now, we have been marking issue as resolved to indicate a pull request, which has worked well.  We should now switch to a slightly different process:

1) Submit pull request through Git.

2) Update JIRA issue to indicate that a pull request has been issued.

3) Someone processes pull request and marks JIRA as resolved.

4) JIRA is marked closed.

Step #4 can happen at a couple different times.  At this stage, I wll probably just cycle through the JIRAs each Monday morning to see what has been resolved and mark it as closed.  Eventually, we will probably incorporate this into a specific stage of the release (e.g. verification by QE, consent of submitter, etc.).

Please use the above process for this week.  After we get some experience with the new Git support in JIRA, we can decide whether it's worth adding the extra step.

• 1. Git Workflow Update
          mageshbk

I guess you mean click on Workflow -> Link Pull Request, right? Or the workflow can pick the pull request from comments? If it is the former then multiple repo pull request will not work I guess.

3) Someone processes pull request and marks JIRA as resolved.

I also beleive that once the pull is processed the JIRA gets automatically resolved.

• 2. Git Workflow Update
            kcbabo

Magesh Bojan wrote:

I guess you mean click on Workflow -> Link Pull Request, right? Or the workflow can pick the pull request from comments? If it is the former then multiple repo pull request will not work I guess.

Yes, there's a new option listed under Workflow to link to a pull request.  I haven't tried it yet, so I don't know how fancy it is.  I had assumed that you simply put the link to the pull request.  Not sure if you can link multiple pull requests.  If not, you can link a single with the pull request and add a comment with links to the others.  We should also give a heads up to the community team to see if support can be added for multiples (assuming it's not there already).

• 3. Git Workflow Update
              dward

Keith Babo wrote:

Yes, there's a new option listed under Workflow to link to a pull request.  I haven't tried it yet, so I don't know how fancy it is.  I had assumed that you simply put the link to the pull request.  Not sure if you can link multiple pull requests.  If not, you can link a single with the pull request and add a comment with links to the others.  We should also give a heads up to the community team to see if support can be added for multiples (assuming it's not there already).

You cannot link multiple pull requests. Putting them in the comments is a hack. We need to support multiples.

• 4. Git Workflow Update
                kcbabo

:-)

I agree and I communicated this request to the JBoss community team a couple days back.  Of course, we were already used to putting our pull request URLs in the comments section when using the old process, so we can just retain that practice for issues which require multiple pulls.

• 5. Git Workflow Update
                  kcbabo

Here's the JIRA.  Vote it up!  :-)

https://issues.jboss.org/browse/ORG-1025

• 6. Re: Git Workflow Update
                    kcbabo

FYI ... multiple pull request feature is now available in JIRA.  Here's an example:

https://issues.jboss.org/browse/SWITCHYARD-264

• 7. Re: Git Workflow Update
                      mageshbk

FYI ... multiple pull request feature is now available in JIRA.  Here's an example:

Nice! Do we still have to go and manually click on workflow "Pull Request Closed"?

• 8. Re: Git Workflow Update
                        tcunning

Sweet! 

• 9. Re: Git Workflow Update
                          dward

Ez nize...