5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 10, 2011 11:39 AM by newtonm

Registration - validation message on username field

abhi0123

While registering at this website, I discovered that using an username which starts with an upper case letter throws an error "Username must start with a letter...". I was able to register using the same username, this time all in lower case.

The error message was totally misleading. Besides, In my opinion, usernames need not be case-sensitive.

• 1. Bug in the login module
          lkrzyzanek

Hi,

jboss.org allows only lower cases in username because we use single account management also for other applications and some of them allows only lower cases.

Validation error should be: "Invalid username. Usernames must start with a letter. Allowed characters are a-z (only lower case), 0-9, _, - (dash), and .(dot).".

Thanks,

Libor

• 2. Bug in the login module
            abhi0123

Libor Krzyžanek wrote:

Hi,

jboss.org allows only lower cases in username because we use single account management also for other applications and some of them allows only lower cases.

Validation error should be: "Invalid username. Usernames must start with a letter. Allowed characters are a-z (only lower case), 0-9, _, - (dash), and .(dot).".

I agree. Are we going to see the change in the validation message anytime soon? As I mentioned in the OP, I do not think "(only lower case)" is displayed now.

• 3. Bug in the login module
              lkrzyzanek

Hi,

it depends what preferred language do you choosen in your browser?

Is it English? or another language please?

If it's "en" or "en-US" or "en-anythign" validation message is OK.

Thanks,

Libor

• 4. Re: Bug in the login module
                abhi0123

Libor Krzyžanek wrote:

Hi,

it depends what preferred language do you choosen in your browser?

Is it English? or another language please?

If it's "en" or "en-US" or "en-anythign" validation message is OK.

Thanks,

Libor

en-US.

I would like to propose a change to the validation message posted above:

"Invalid username. Usernames must start with a lower case alphabet. Allowed characters are lower case alphabets (a-z), digits (0-9), underscore (_), hyphen (-\) , and period (.)".

where (-\) is just to escape

• 5. Re: Registration - validation message on username field
                  newtonm

I've just tested creating a new user with username 'Testing' (using en-US language in my browser) and the error message returned was:

Invalid username. Usernames must start with a letter. Allowed characters are a-z (only lower case), 0-9, _, - (dash), and .(dot).

It already mentions lower case so there is nothing to fix.

thanks,

Mark