8 Replies Latest reply on Feb 16, 2011 5:35 AM by katrin

How to integrate JBoss ON 2.1.0 with JBoss AS 4.2.3 GA ?

I want to use JBoss 4.2.3 AS . I want to know how to integrate JBoss ON with this ? because JBoss ON is coming with separate JBoss AS. How i can use the JBoss ON and JBoss 4.2.3 all together ? Can you please provide me the solution for this ?

• 1. Re: How to integrate JBoss ON 2.1.0 with JBoss AS 4.2.3 GA ?
          ips

Hi,

JON runs on top of a heavily customized version of JBossAS 4.2.1. Upgrading the app server to a newer version would not be a trivial task, nor would it be supported by Red Hat. The JON Server bundles JBossAS (i.e. doesn't require you to install it separately), so try to look at it as a black box. At some point, if there are enough compelling reasons, we may decide to upgrade the internal app server version.

Regards,
          Ian

• 2. Re: How to integrate JBoss ON 2.1.0 with JBoss AS 4.2.3 GA ?

Hi ,

The requirement is like we need to use JBoss 4.2.3 GA AS. Also we want to use JBoss ON 2.1.0 for the monitoring purpose. But here the issue is we do not want to use two JBoss ASs. We want to integrate JBoss ON 2.1 and JBoss 4.2.3 GA AS . Please let me know the procedure how i can achieve it ? It will be very good if you can provide the complete procedure how to achieve it.

Thanks,
            Mihir

• 3. Re: How to integrate JBoss ON 2.1.0 with JBoss AS 4.2.3 GA ?
              ips

You're welcome to try upgrading the base app server to 4.2.3, but as I said it's not supported in any way. The Maven 'container' module is what is used to build the modified app server and the JON ears, datasources, etc. that run inside it. You can find the container module in RHQ SVN at rhq/trunk/modules/enterprise/server/container/. You will see that the way it works is it pulls down an AS 4.2.1 distribution zipfile, unzips it, and then makes a whole bunch of modifications (including additions, updates, and deletions of libraries and configuration files) to it.

• 4. Re: How to integrate JBoss ON 2.1.0 with JBoss AS 4.2.3 GA ?

Hi ,

Thanks a lot for your reply. I am new to this JBoss AS. Whatever you have mentioned to change the things to achieve the 4.2.3 AS in JON 2.1 , i am not sure how to achieve it ? As JBoss 4.2.3 GA is one of the stable version , we want to use it. We do not have detail idea how we can integrate JBoss 4.2.3 in JON. It will be much appreciated if anyone having complete steps how to achieve it ?

Thanks,
                Mihir

• 5. Re: How to integrate JBoss ON 2.1.0 with JBoss AS 4.2.3 GA ?
                  mazz

Since you are new to JBossAS as per your last comment, then perhaps you are misunderstanding

Think of JBoss ON as a "black box" - a product you install like any other. Ignore the internals - if you just want to use JBoss ON, don't worry that under its covers is JBossAS 4.2.1. For all you know, its IBM WebSphere under there :) The point is, it doesn't matter - you should not care how JBoss ON is implemented. Just like you should not care how OpenOffice is implemented if you just want to use it. (as a very bad analogy :)

Now, if you want to use JBoss ON to monitor your OWN JBossAS instances - that's a different question. JBoss ON can be used to monitor any JBossAS 4.x version - including 4.2.3. So when you say "integrate JBossAS 4.2.3 with JON", I suspect what you mean is you want to USE JBossON to manage/monitor your own JBossAS 4.2.3 instances that are running your apps. Again, ignore what is inside of JBoss ON - it is irrelevent when you just want to use it to manage your own JBossAS 4.2.3 instances. Just because JBoss ON has JBossAS 4.2.1 under the covers does NOT mean that's the only version of JBossAS it can manage - the JON internals are irrelevent in that respect.

With that said, back to your original question... if you want JBoss 4.2.3.GA under the covers, we simply can't give you the "complete" steps because if we had those, we would have done it already :) We haven't had the time to implement the internal JBossAS upgrade and test it fully. It is irrelevent what app server is under the covers in ON - no matter which one it is; JBoss ON can still manage JBossAS 4.x, including JBossAS 4.2.3 (speaking of which, JBoss ON has a JMX plugin that actually CAN manage IBM WebSphere and BEA WebLogic among others - which goes to the point that it doesn't matter how JBoss ON is implemented, it can manage anything :)

• 6. Re: How to integrate JBoss ON 2.1.0 with JBoss AS 4.2.3 GA ?

The version of JBAS that is bundled with JON is non-negotiable. From an end user's perspective, it should not matter what JON uses internally in order to run it's processes which deliver the end functionality to you. In that way, the application is a complete black box. It has internal mechanisms for how it communicates, shares data, takes requests from the user, and runs itself in general. It just so happens that the developers choose to leverage an existing infrastructure - an application server - as the base technology for JON.

As a more general instance of the same problem, all java applications in the world require a JVM in order to run. If I wrote a software application and ONLY tested it against JRE 1.5.0_07, I would prebundle/embed that version of the JRE as a convenience to the end user. From the end user's perspective, the requirement of my program to run on JRE 1.5.0_07 is hidden from them (black box), and as such they shouldn't care what version of java I've embedded as part of my application's underlying technology support - all they should care about is whether the application delivers the correct end user functionality to them.

Now, it *might* be the case that my application runs perfectly fine against later versions of JRE 1.5 or even JRE 1.6, but I don't know for certain because I have not thoroughly tested my application on those other versions. But let's say an end user for some reason claims that their company only ever runs one version of the JRE at any given moment in time (say, 1.6.0_12). Well, if they *really* want to understand the innards of my packaging conventions and try to go in and rip and replace the embedded JRE that comes bundled with my app, I can't stop them. But I can certainly say that any non-standard configuration like that would not be supported.

So, to reiterate the main theme, think of the JBAS instance (that's embedded inside of JON) as part of a non-negotiable piece of the infrastructure.

• 7. Re: How to integrate JBoss ON 2.1.0 with JBoss AS 4.2.3 GA ?
                      ips

Fyi, the JON Server's internal JBoss AS version has been upgraded to 4.2.3.GA in trunk, so this will be in Jopr 2.3, due out soon.

http://jira.rhq-project.org/browse/RHQ-2070

• 8. How to integrate JBoss ON 2.1.0 with JBoss AS 4.2.3 GA ?
                        katrin

Hi mihirr das,

we are going to use JBoss ON with JBoss 4.2.3 too.

I think you are done with you setup. Can you or anyone else give me a hint where to find a good documentation, or what are confiugration steps?

Thank you