11 Replies Latest reply on Jan 17, 2011 3:05 PM by jbalunas

Some new component in RichFaces after 4.0.0 released

ilya40umov

Hi Gyus,

I just finished an evaluation of OpenFaces demo(I've already tried PrimeFaces before) and I think that some of components from the other libraries are very useful and I hope that one day you will add them to RIchFaces as well. But on the one hand everybody's interested in diferent features and on the other hand you guys are working very hard now and you have your own plans about RF future.

I'm just wondering if it's possible to do some sort of voting in the following way:

1) When RF 4.0.0 is finished and released you will create a discussion with basic plans for RF 4.x and with components which are going to be implemented.

2) People like me will be able to post all their wishes about RF 4.x and all these useful components which are not in RF already and not in your plans.

3) Then you can create some sort of voting to prioritise wished by community components and publish additional planes accordingly with this voting.

I guess that you already have something similar to this in your practice. If so, please, could you write how it goes/works actually?

Regards,

Ilya.

• 1. Some new component in RichFaces after 4.0.0 released
          blabno

Hi! What components do you need? Community members can also implement new components and place them in the sandbox. I'm working on some of them right now. Check this out: http://community.jboss.org/wiki/40SandboxComponents

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Some new component in RichFaces after 4.0.0 released
            ilya40umov

Thanks Bernard. This link is a very helpful. I'll look at all these components. And I'm going to try RF CDK in the nearest future and may be write a component on my own. I wondered if there is a place and a mechanism somewhere in this site where users can write their wishes, look for already requested components, and vote for them.

• 3. Some new component in RichFaces after 4.0.0 released
              blabno

Voting can be done with JIRA. I think that the page 40SandboxComponents can be used as a place where we gather info about created sandbox components and the entire forum as a place to submit requests.

• 4. Some new component in RichFaces after 4.0.0 released
                ilya_shaikovsky

At first thanks a lot guys again for all your efforts and community activities! As for writing the component - I would agree with Bernard, using wiki page as he already started to do in order to share information about community-created components is good idea. We need such info to be centralized for sure.

About voting system, In the past we had a wiki page where the community posted their thoughts on components them need and voted using just page edit. Later we decided that wiki is not native instrument for such sort of works. And finally we just using jira for that as usually. So in 3.3.x  components and features which was voted for many times was reviewed and implemented prior to other. For now just migration process moving on for RichFaces 4 branch. But after it will be complete - we will check for your guys opinions about future more for sure and will consider requests with votes/impl proposals/patches setting them higher priority.

• 5. Some new component in RichFaces after 4.0.0 released
                  ilya40umov

Ok. Thank you guys very much. I'll write about components which I want to be a part of RichFaces in the future.

• 6. Some new component in RichFaces after 4.0.0 released
                    jbalunas

Hi Guys,

Sorry to be late to the party, it seems a drawback to living in Eastern USA timezone :-)

Ilya is spot on as usual!  For 4.0 we have been pushing hard to get a great core set of components into the project.  This has not left a lot of time to get a lot of new components yet. 

Post 4.0, the whole community ( especially active members like you two ) will take a look at the state of things, and we'll all come up roadmaps and priorities.  For now Jira is the best place to put new component feature requests.  I'll create a umbrella jira, where we can link all new component jira's.  This will make it easy to see all of them in one place.

For components that are in development I think the sandbox page that Bernard created is best place to centralize, then if needed we can link from there to more detailed pages.

We do need this all written down and outlined clearly - I'll get that up asap!    The next priority after that would be a more complete CDK guide so everyone can see how easy it is to create components with RichFaces.  Bernard - how is your CDK doc - any plans for further updates?  That is the perfect type of thing to make a wiki page out of :-)

Thanks Guys!

Jay

• 7. Some new component in RichFaces after 4.0.0 released
                      blabno

Jay, I would love to extend my CDK doc especially because I want to migrate all sandbox components to 4.0.

The problem is, I've asked some questions that remain unansweared. Part of questions is in TODO part of the document and part of them is in this forum thread http://community.jboss.org/message/549992#549992.

I would need some knowledge from you.

I'm going to teach my team how to create RF components so all experiences could be added there and I could fresh view from newbies.

• 8. Some new component in RichFaces after 4.0.0 released
                        jbalunas

Sure thing Bernard, we'll take a look and get back to you.  If not this week, then next because code freeze is this Friday for CR1.

• 9. Some new component in RichFaces after 4.0.0 released
                          jbalunas

FYI - created https://issues.jboss.org/browse/RF-10230 to be umbrella jira for tracking new component requests.  We'll need to go through jira and link to here.  I also notices some jira in future_3_X that should be moved to 4.0.  We're not planning on any new component development in 3.

Creating the new component process wiki is a bit more involved so I likely won't get to it until post CR1 code freeze.

• 10. Some new component in RichFaces after 4.0.0 released
                            ilya40umov

Thanks Jay, The umbrella jira is a great idea. I'm going ro revise all the JSF libraries again and then I will write my review in this issue. I also have some ideas about possible features for RF as a framework. I will create a new discussions for them.

• 11. Some new component in RichFaces after 4.0.0 released
                              jbalunas

Excellent Ilya - when you do create discussions like that can you put them in the RichFaces Development space? RichFaces Development